Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Dear, I'm have problems with my break pedale any time am speeding at above 60-80 kmh, when I'm applying my break, the break pedal and steering wheel both vibrate.what can I do to stop this vibrations

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Dear, I'm have problems with my break pedale any time am speeding at above 60-80 kmh, when I'm applying my break, the break pedal and steering wheel both vibrate.what can I do to stop this vibrations

·
Registered
604 Posts
Warped front brake rotors. Either replace with new ones and preferrably new pads or have the current ones machined if they are above minimum thickness.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just an FYI-Rotors don't warp, it's just the crappy pad material deposited at different areas around the surface.

Didn't want to get too technical as probably the OP is better off just replacing the rotors, but I'll give some additional info from experience. If rotors are out of tolerance, pedal pulsation, get some hard/metallic pads, do an install and chances are that within a couple of days the pulsation will be gone. Done it many times.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You were taught wrong. Have you ever turned a rotor?
I've removed the pulsation just by utilizing hard metallic pads and turning rotors, can do it my sleep. Did you ever mic the rotors when they were turned to see how much can be removed before they are under factory specs?????? 99.9999% of rotors can't be turned and be within specs, but the jerks at the shops have no idea about the minimum tolerance so they just mount the rotor and continue turning in the cutter until it hits the rotor all the way around, be under tolerance and the rotor should have been thrown away and replaced.

Example:
Sonata rotors thickness 28mm/10mm with a service limit 26.4mm/8.4mm. Now for another lesson-You'll be able to see that the total loss of material 1.6mm, or .8mm each side is max, any more than that the rotor is to be scrapped. The .8mm equals to .0315" each side or total .063" total. 100% possibility that when you turned rotors you went way beyond the absolute minimum and the customer departed with unsafe rotors on their car. Know what .063" might be? A credit card is .03", so that's all that can be removed each side.

Now, it's time for your lesson this week, rotors don't warp.
First do you have any idea of the temperature needed to warp a rotor?

This from StopTech:
“Warped” is a term often (mis)used to describe any number of conditions associated with brake pedal pulsations, steering wheel shimmy, judder or any other vibrations that occur while applying the brakes.
When the pad friction transfer layer is applied to and maintained on the rotor surface evenly, there will be smooth brake operation. Vibrations and pulsations result when the friction transfer layer becomes uneven for a variety of reasons.

Raybestos Tech:
Brake rotors do not warp from heat, even when driven aggressively.

Babcox:
Myths take hold because either A) they seem completely logical or B) they are so often repeated that they just become common knowledge. The warped rotor myth is a little bit of both. A rotor that contributed to a pulsation condition certainly appears “warped.” Plus, everyone says it — even technicians that know the rotor isn’t really warped will say it as shorthand.
Rotors are cast in extreme heat — three to five times greater than the most aggressive braking situation. Physically “warping” a rotor would require a similar application of extreme heat, which is impossible.

Time for dinner. Night school will be later.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Guess the people at all the above companies are incorrect?
Just swallow hard and come to realize that they don't warp, and then you can say I've learned something today.
Never too old to learn.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It didn't take much reading to see "warped rotors" is a myth...just accepted as a truism.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Guess the people at all the above companies are incorrect?
Just swallow hard and come to realize that they don't warp, and then you can say I've learned something today.
Never too old to learn.
You are wrong and I don't believe you have ever turned a rotor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts