Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The break light on my Sonota Hybrid suddenly comes on and off for the past few days. At first, it was only on when I stepped on the break at stop sign or red light, but today it stayed on the entire time I was driving. I hope the car doesn't have any serious problem. I can't believe I only have the car for a month and something like this happen. Just wondering if anyone noticed any similar problem on their cars?

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (Gigies @ Jun 18 2011, 12:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462871
The break light on my Sonota Hybrid suddenly comes on and off for the past few days. At first, it was only on when I stepped on the break at stop sign or red light, but today it stayed on the entire time I was driving. I hope the car doesn't have any serious problem. I can't believe I only have the car for a month and something like this happen. Just wondering if anyone noticed any similar problem on their cars?
It can be hard to tell if your own brake light is on while you are driving unless someone notifies you. By any chance do you mean the parking brake warning light on the dash display? The parking brake lever is on the far left in the driver's footwell and its not difficult to graze it on the way in the car. I did that once, the dash light came on and I had to press the release. It's easy to check if this is what you are seeing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (Gigies @ Jun 18 2011, 01:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462871
I had a brake fluid leak in the engine compartment. Dealer had to wait for parts but all is well now. Suggest you check your brake fluid reservoir.
Happy Motoring! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Given how new the car is it's unlikely this is the problem, but it happened to me in my 2003 sonata LX and was an absolute PITA to diagnose.

If you replace your tail light (1 level of brightness) with a brake light bulb (2 levels of brightness) or vice versa, I forget which, one is very slightly smaller than the other, the lights will occasionally flash, or even come on completely and not go off.

In my case, my brake lights were almost always on whenever I had the headlights on (so that'd be the tail light in the brake light socket) and my cruise control wouldn't work, because the lighting up of the brake light, not the actual braking, is what turns off the cruise control.

Initially all I knew was that my cruise control didnt work and it made me not happy. Didn't figure it out til I went to get a car wash and the guy kept yelling at me to take my foot off the brake when it wasn't on there in the first place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Given how new the car is it's unlikely this is the problem, but it happened to me in my 2003 sonata LX and was an absolute PITA to diagnose.

If you replace your tail light (1 level of brightness) with a brake light bulb (2 levels of brightness) or vice versa, I forget which, one is very slightly smaller than the other, the lights will occasionally flash, or even come on completely and not go off.

In my case, my brake lights were almost always on whenever I had the headlights on (so that'd be the tail light in the brake light socket) and my cruise control wouldn't work, because the lighting up of the brake light, not the actual braking, is what turns off the cruise control.

Initially all I knew was that my cruise control didnt work and it made me not happy. Didn't figure it out til I went to get a car wash and the guy kept yelling at me to take my foot off the brake when it wasn't on there in the first place.

·
Registered
243 Posts
these symptoms are consistent with the brake switch assy. that has a plunger / actuator and is controlled by the action of depressing the brake pedal. If the brake switch fails or is out of adjustment, your symptoms will be that the brake lights are always on and the cruise control will not work because the computer thinks you are stepping on the brake which always turns off the cruise. It's an easy replacement. It's located under the steering wheel where the brake pedal has a stopper that pushes on the plunger of the switch assy.

I bought mine on Amazon to repair a 2006 Sonata LX.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-93810-3K000-Brake-Light-Switch/dp/B008Z1NEUO/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Hyundai|3&Model=Sonata|21&Year=2016|2016&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=5&vehicleType=automotive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts