Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Called my dealer today from whom I bought my 2011 Sonata to ask about my first oil change. A service adviser stated that I should wait until 5 or 6 thousand miles because of a special break in oil that helps gas mileage improve. Have any of you heard about this?

Thanks in advance,
David

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Oct 28 2010, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366937
nope, im not aware. but i will add this to my list of questions to ask... Also i want to know if the turbo version needs a special oil.. Synthetic, blend, etc

I would absolutely use synthetic in a turbo engine.

As to the OP's question, I am going to follow my owner manual's advice and have mine changed at the 3750 mark (work is 5 miles from home so im under the "severe" category).

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Oct 28 2010, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366945
im interested in what the manual says for the turbo...whether they call for reg or suggest a blend , etc. they still have to cover the motor for 100000 miles

Id be willing to bet they call for synth. I always treat my cars like I will be keeping them forever. 100k is or should be about early middle age for an engine, not the end.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This was a question I actually asked when we purchased our Sonata and the sales person said that it was just standard oil that should be changed every 3750 miles.

I completely concur with Rob though, I plan on using synthetic from the first change on, changing every 4000 miles (it may be a bit obsessive, but the oil filter's actually what I worry about). We got free lifetime oil changes and state inspections as part of our deal, so I'll be supplying the Mobile1 and they provide the labor.

Only synthetic in all of our vehicles; it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (theprodigy79 @ Oct 28 2010, 12:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366965
This was a question I actually asked when we purchased our Sonata and the sales person said that it was just standard oil that should be changed every 3750 miles.

I completely concur with Rob though, I plan on using synthetic from the first change on, changing every 4000 miles (it may be a bit obsessive, but the oil filter's actually what I worry about). We got free lifetime oil changes and state inspections as part of our deal, so I'll be supplying the Mobile1 and they provide the labor.

Only synthetic in all of our vehicles; it's the only way to go.

I dont necessarily agree that synth is the way to go for normal operation. In extreme cold, yes. In extreme heat (or turbo), yes. Normal driving with "normal" (not extended like 7500+) intervals, id say its a waste of money. Generally speaking, the best type of oil is the kind you change regularly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 28 2010, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366970
I dont necessarily agree that synth is the way to go for normal operation. In extreme cold, yes. In extreme heat (or turbo), yes. Normal driving with "normal" (not extended like 7500+) intervals, id say its a waste of money. Generally speaking, the best type of oil is the kind you change regularly.
While I concur 100% that 'the best type of oil is the kind you change regularly', I don't agree that there is no value in using synthetic regularly, even under 'normal' driving conditions.

When I was younger I purchased a '93 Celica GT with 62K miles on it... I changed the oil regularly - every 3000 miles - but noticed that the oil was always black and somewhat varnished, not necessarily to the extent of being concerning, but enough to catch my attention... At around 88K miles I switched over to synthetic, changing every 3500-4000 miles and noticed that each change was consistantly cleaner. I sold the car to my neighbor in 2004 with just under 200K miles, running flawlessly, and the internals were cleaner than when I bought it (never had it flushed or anything)...

That experience alone was enough to convince me... and now I've been using synthetic in all of my cars since new.

I purchased my '88 Supra Turbo with 53K original miles as a weekend / fun car in 2007, meaning it was driven an average of 2800 miles per year and sat the rest of the time (one of the worst possible things you can do to a vehicle). When I got the car I removed the valve covers to check oil condition and such, and it was pretty nasty... I gave it a regular oil change, drove it for 1000 miles, then swapped in synthetic... about 6 months later (a couple synthetic changes) I removed the head to upgrade to a metal head gasket and noted that the oil was pristine; there was no sludge, varnish or tarnishing marks on the engine walls or internal components.

I used synthetic since the first change in my 2004 Solara V6, which has a high compression engine that runs hot, and has a known tendency to bake oil and have sludging issues... I never had any of those issues.

Anyone can argue tit vs tat, but I can't argue with results.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (theprodigy79 @ Oct 28 2010, 02:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367044
There're many other benefits of synthetic as well, the main one being it's more 'liquid' than dino oil of the same viscosity, meaning your engine will be lubricated quicker after start-up, especially in cold climates. Another biggie is the additive package is a lot better too. But very few people who own Hyundais care about cars like us, so it's futile trying to convince somebody that anything more than what the manual calls for is beneficial for the engine. I'm just going to check this board for problems every once in a while, and answer a question or two when there's a specific answer to help new folks, but am done making comments here :grin:. Take care.

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 28 2010, 05:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367086
There're many other benefits of synthetic as well, the main one being it's more 'liquid' than dino oil of the same viscosity, meaning your engine will be lubricated quicker after start-up, especially in cold climates. Another biggie is the additive package is a lot better too. But very few people who own Hyundais care about cars like us, so it's futile trying to convince somebody that anything more than what the manual calls for is beneficial for the engine. I'm just going to check this board for problems every once in a while, and answer a question or two when there's a specific answer to help new folks, but am done making comments here :grin:. Take care.
When did you do your first oil change and did you switch to synthetic on that change?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've noticed that oil is always a subjective topic, but its a no brainer that synthetic is definitely better.

Different cars along with different driving habits seem to have a vast number of different results.

I'm using Mobil one 5w20 extended for the winter season and I'll probably switch after. Still debating on how many miles to go before changing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 28 2010, 06:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367086

Yup, I certainly understand the complete benefits of synthetic, however it's hard to describe personal experience with the facts you describe above. I was just reflecting on solid evidence that I have personally witnessed, but I can say with certainty that the ad pack / detergents had a lot to do with the cleanliness of the engines. :)

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (theprodigy79 @ Oct 28 2010, 03:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367044
While I concur 100% that 'the best type of oil is the kind you change regularly', I don't agree that there is no value in using synthetic regularly, even under 'normal' driving conditions.

When I was younger I purchased a '93 Celica GT with 62K miles on it... I changed the oil regularly - every 3000 miles - but noticed that the oil was always black and somewhat varnished, not necessarily to the extent of being concerning, but enough to catch my attention... At around 88K miles I switched over to synthetic, changing every 3500-4000 miles and noticed that each change was consistantly cleaner. I sold the car to my neighbor in 2004 with just under 200K miles, running flawlessly, and the internals were cleaner than when I bought it (never had it flushed or anything)...

That experience alone was enough to convince me... and now I've been using synthetic in all of my cars since new.

I purchased my '88 Supra Turbo with 53K original miles as a weekend / fun car in 2007, meaning it was driven an average of 2800 miles per year and sat the rest of the time (one of the worst possible things you can do to a vehicle). When I got the car I removed the valve covers to check oil condition and such, and it was pretty nasty... I gave it a regular oil change, drove it for 1000 miles, then swapped in synthetic... about 6 months later (a couple synthetic changes) I removed the head to upgrade to a metal head gasket and noted that the oil was pristine; there was no sludge, varnish or tarnishing marks on the engine walls or internal components.

I used synthetic since the first change in my 2004 Solara V6, which has a high compression engine that runs hot, and has a known tendency to bake oil and have sludging issues... I never had any of those issues.

The reason why I said that is there was a somewhat famous study done by consumer reports back in the 80s where they did a four-way test with taxicabs. One group was dino changed at 3k, one dino changed at 6k, one synth changed at 3k, and one synth changed at 6k.

they ran them as normal taxis in stop-and-go NYC traffic, for 60k miles where they tore all the engines down to inspect for wear. They found zero difference in the wear patterns among the four groups. Now running an engine like a NYC taxi cab is probably easier on it than driving like a normal person because there are fewer start-up cycles relative to miles driven. As we all know, that is where the wear is for most of us.

This is why I have a 1-qt accusump and canton mecca racing (non-bypass, 8 micron) oil filter awaiting the first oil change so I can install it. Pre-oiled bearings = no start-up wear.

I'm not saying there are no benefits to synthetic. In fact I already said extreme cold = yes, heat (turbo)=yes. For most people who live in non-extreme-weather climates and on a normal 5-6k OCI, dino oil is fine and synthetic is a waste of money. Letting a car sit for a long time is definitely bad and can lead to that thick nasty build up you saw in your supra (synthetic is basically mandatory on a turbo car). Who knows what the PO did or didnt do to the celica as far as oil changes.

My previous car is/was (its for sale) a 20 year old BMW. The one before that was a 40 year old BMW, at the time I sold it. I used dino in the 40-year-old and synthetic in the 20-year-old. The 40 had blowby problems so I had to change the oil at 3k no matter what. It was also an alabama car so it rarely saw anything approaching extreme cold. It had a very good oversized radiator and never had any extreme heating issues even in disgusting alabama summers. Guess what? I drove it every day with good warm-up time (20mins minimum) and the inside of the motor was spotless despite the lowly dino i was putting in it and all the blowby. The 20 year old on the other hand, was/is a nice tight motor and I ran it with a 10k OCI with Royal Purple synthetic. Again, driven every day with good warm-up time, along with a lot of freeway miles (talking 400 mile road trips every other weekend), and also spotless inside.

One of my uncles has been adding a half quart of ATF to the motor oil with every oil change for as long as I can remember. ATF is basically very high-detergent oil. Just about every time we came to see him he would go on and on about how clean his engines were. And yeah, they were clean. He also was a devout Amsoilist so who knows.

PERSONALLY, I use synthetic because I cannot (in good conscience) use dino in this terror-cold Indiana weather (it just dropped like a rock as of yesterday :frozen:). I am not most people. Now I would love to use an extended OCI recommended by my oil manufacturer (Royal Purple) but my Big H overseers have dictated a 3750 OCI for my warranty coverage. So am I wasting money? Yes, but only due to the low OCI. Royal Purple says 10-12k, im going to have to go with ~1/3 that to keep my warranty sound. It helps that my dealer is doing the changes for free, Im just paying for the oil and CM filter elements. I should say going to be paying, as I am only at 1500 miles on my car. ;)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 28 2010, 06:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367086

I realize you will never see this because you have set me on "ignore", but do you have this much trouble dealing with people and their various opinions and life experiences in your day-to-day offline life too? Or is it just on the internet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts