1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
What disk are you trying to break?

Do you mean the brake rotors?
If yours have glazed over then check the thickness to see if they can be cut
If they have enough metal on them then you will have to find a place with a brake lathe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you guys clean this? and if so how do you do this?
Typically the dealer recommends a brake servicing every 24,000kms (not sure what that is in miles). This helps keep the pads lubricated and helps prolong overall brake life vs. not doing any servicing at all and probably having to replace them at 60,000kms. They usually take the pads apart from the calipers, sand down any uneven wear, lube up the caliper pins (so they dont seize and you dont have to replace calipers $$$ ), cut the rotors for any ridges/buildup on edges, and then relubricate everything and put it all back together, following up with a road test to make sure that everything feels and sounds good. Typically in Canada its about $180+HST and thats basically just labour and some small material charges. If you want to do it yourself tho, i would suggest looking online for a mechanic or someone who is doing the job and talks you through it step by step, or if you want to avoid a headache I would personally just take it to the dealer to make sure its all done right.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I never had a car where they did a disc brake service like that. The only brake services I've ever had was cleaning and adjusting the drum brakes on an older car. On my last Ford, the dealer replaced my rear pads at 55,000mi and the originals still looked like they had some thickness left. My fronts lasted 90,000 miles. I think disc brake service is a waste of money.

·
Registered
150 Posts
... the dealer replaced my rear pads at 55,000mi and the originals still looked like they had some thickness left. My fronts lasted 90,000 miles. I think disc brake service is a waste of money.
Typically, if the front disks/pads outlast the rears, something is wrong.

70%-90% of your breaking force should be at the front wheels.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

It can go either way with disks all around.
Under heavy breaking the fronts have to do most of the work since weight transfers to the front.
But if you drive gently and avoid hard braking the rears on average do almost as much as the fronts.
Combine that with rear disks almost always smaller than the fronts, then the rears can wear out first.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,842 Posts
The disc brakes need to be striped, lubed and reassembled occasionally to get the full life out of them. I do mine annually here in the rust belt.

·
Registered
267 Posts

They replaced my rears, but I did not think they needed replacing. As I said, when the used pads were returned to me they still had what appeared to be safe thickness that could have gone many more miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts