Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just wondering if the brake callipers are coverd under warranty on my sfs got one jammed pretty bad thanks for info

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
"Brake" caliper is a 5/60 part,,,,,,, unless you did something to "break" the caliper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rust jammed up the piston pretty sure because of snow and salt of winter driving in quebec

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
the rust jammed up the piston pretty sure because of snow and salt of winter driving in quebec

Disregard my reply,, as it is based on USA VIN,, I see you in Canada based on reply..

Edit your profile to reflect location and your 201x Santa Fe along with which engine underhood

·
Registered
427 Posts
assuming you didn't grease the slide pins every year, I would say the slide pins are seized..... not the piston.
you need to grease slide pins every year in quebec, or they jam. thats it.... mine are always hard to move after a year.

I grease mine when I change the tires in mid-april or so.
Ideally twice a year, but I don't have time and I need to do it outside, so once a year when the weather is nice....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
assuming you didn't grease the slide pins every year, I would say the slide pins are seized..... not the piston.
you need to grease slide pins every year in quebec, or they jam. thats it.... mine are always hard to move after a year.

I grease mine when I change the tires in mid-april or so.
Ideally twice a year, but I don't have time and I need to do it outside, so once a year when the weather is nice....
removed calliper and its realy the piston its rusted all arround

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
removed calliper and its realy the piston its rusted all arround

Can you compress it into the bore? Rust shouldn't be a problem unless it gets inside the boot.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
274 Posts
I had similar problem with my 2013 after 1 years and I'm in Quebec too. But it wasnt the piston. I have now 160 000km and never replaced a caliper because of a frozen caliper piston.

Rust on the piston doesnt mean anything if you are still able to easily compress it with a C-clamp or something similar

Like mentionned before, it could the caliper pins that are stuck and need to be re-grease. You have to grease them every year in QC.

My problem was different : The outside brake pad was stuck in the slider and the pad wasnt "freely" moving or floating. So it was stuck agaisn the rotor even if the brake wasnt applied.

So I had to clean out all the slider and the shims, and remove all the rust on the mounting bracket behind the shim. On my left caliper I even had to use a file to have it move freely again. Then grease all this slider every year and it will be good.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I had similar problem with my 2013 after 1 years and I'm in Quebec too. But it wasnt the piston. I have now 160 000km and never replaced a caliper because of a frozen caliper piston.

Rust on the piston doesnt mean anything if you are still able to easily compress it with a C-clamp or something similar

Like mentionned before, it could the caliper pins that are stuck and need to be re-grease. You have to grease them every year in QC.

My problem was different : The outside brake pad was stuck in the slider and the pad wasnt "freely" moving or floating. So it was stuck agaisn the rotor even if the brake wasnt applied.

So I had to clean out all the slider and the shims, and remove all the rust on the mounting bracket behind the shim. On my left caliper I even had to use a file to have it move freely again. Then grease all this slider every year and it will be good.

This is good advise and a proper fix.
Good job.

·
Registered
427 Posts

I had to grind my pads a bit also, they were too tight in the slot, even when clean. That's bad design. I had to hammer the pads out....

so yeah, clean, make sure pads glide, grind of needed, and grease sliding pins every year.

Probably not the piston, really.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I know guys that swore the calipers were bad and claimed it fixed their problem. That's because the new calipers are CLEAN and pads moved better. Six months later they are telling me the calipers are bad again. I just tell them to go ahead and replace them again.

Don't be like one of those guys.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Easy to find out:

do your slide pins slide
do your pads slide in the grooves
does your piston compress into the caliper easily with a c clamp, or even strong thumb pressure.

you will answer your own question. post results.

my 2017 has jammed slide pins every spring, plus this spring it had jammed pads in grooves... it's a 2017.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well went to dealer and he changed both rear callipers under warranty the piston was seize on one side and about to on the other every thing is brand new whith slidder pins and bracket a big 0 dollars from my pocket

·
Registered
427 Posts
well went to dealer and he changed both rear callipers under warranty the piston was seize on one side and about to on the other every thing is brand new whith slidder pins and bracket a big 0 dollars from my pocket
Cool that you have it new now.
But I highly doubt that piston was seized.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts