Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 500 miles on my new 2011 Sonata SE; radiant silver with all accessories except nav. I just sold my son a 1999 ACURA 3.2 TL with 130,000 miles on it. Loved that car and didn't like any TL I drove since. Really didn't like any sports sedan I've driven compared to my "99" 3.2 TL.......

Got a Sonata GLS as a rental at National Car Rental in Greensville, SC last April. It caught my attention in 3 minutes. I spent a half hour going over it at the hotel. Made up my mind and finally found a local dealer back home with exactly what I wanted and willing to deal on a 2011 Sonata SE with extras.

So far so good, but only time will truly tell. I have a funny feeling about the tranny, but it has 50% more gears than the ACURA (6 speed vs. 4 speed). I'm really listening right now, and think I've heard a few noises from the tranny, but nothing repeatable.

Anyway, love the car, the styling, and the included accessories. I had finally got some rust started on my TL last year in the left wheel well and in a joint in the right rear fender. Not bad after 11 years, but am thinking about a oil treatment several local body shops recommend. They actually don't do it, just recommend it. Guess the "expert" drills some holes in key locations, injects special oil into them, lets it drain out for a day or two, then plugs them. Fills every crack and crevice with water repelling oil.

Searched the forum and couldn't find much on this subject. Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Usually, people living in northern states might opt for rust treatment since they have higher exposure towards snow/salt. I had bought a vermont registered accord which caught rust in about 8yrs time.

As for Sonata, it has a 7 yr rust warranty I think.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Consider your anticipated length of ownership versus the coverage already provided by the warranty as well as where the car is driven (salt, brine applications etc) in winter months.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anyone considered the Electronic control rust module! That is what my dealer tried to suggest I purchase when I picked up my new Sonata on Friday, Anyone have any experience with these.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (zaqxsw @ Aug 29 2010, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352840
Guess the "expert" drills some holes in key locations, injects special oil into them, lets it drain out for a day or two, then plugs them. Fills every crack and crevice with water repelling oil.
I think the Sonata has a good rust through warranty, but...

There is a type of undercoating that dries rubbery like spray-on bed lining... sort of thick and maybe a little
foamy. Seems like that would last for many years. Applied to the fender wells, it should really help with
road noise too.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you don't go with a spray/treatment why not try and get the car washed each week or after each snow. I see plenty of snow and ice and in the winter months I use the drive through car washes any chance I get. I know it is not god on the paint but it keeps the salt off. Easier to buff and wax then it is to fix rust!

·
Registered
724 Posts
QUOTE (03clyde @ Aug 30 2010, 08:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352930
Consider your anticipated length of ownership versus the coverage already provided by the warranty as well as where the car is driven (salt, brine applications etc) in winter months.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner;... This is the correct line of thought.......

We could go into many details about the warranty and which company to deal with etc etc but how long will you own it, where do you live , and finally a serious look at the wording in the Hyundai coverage.....

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I've never had my SF rust-proofed mainly because winters here are very mild so salt is never used. However I have heard great things about the Krown system from the folks in the 2G Santa Fe forum. And for those of you touting the 7 year corrosion warranty should read the fine print, particularly this passage:

Covers perforation (rust hole through the body panel from inside to outside) corrosion of original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Excludes surface corrosion.
Can be found straight from the horse's mouth here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
lIved in Minnesota all my life, the road salt capital of the US. The only car I've had with any real rust issues was a Datsun 210 (my first car). The door nearly rusted right off. OTher than that I've owned Volkswagons, Buicks, Toyotas, Merkers, Subarus and Nissan with no rust issues. And I own my cars for a long time.

Oh, I don't wash my cars much, On most were stored without a garage.

·
Registered
817 Posts
So I read this:

"Brand New Sonata Owner - Rustproofing?"

and I'm thinking

if a new Sonata owner is rusting

maybe he shouldn't be sitting in a new car?

Just wondering.

:)

Reactions: hydrogen3

·
Registered
98 Posts
QUOTE (ONNFIRE @ Aug 30 2010, 09:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352940
Has anyone considered the Electronic control rust module! That is what my dealer tried to suggest I purchase when I picked up my new Sonata on Friday, Anyone have any experience with these.
I have one of these on my 2002 Altima SE. I have to admit, I was very skeptical at first, but its now 8 yrs old and has NO rust at all on it. I don't expect any of my vehicles to develop ANY rust in the first 7-8 yrs, but I see several vehicles around me that are "younger" and have rust on them already. I am happy with my module, but I am still undecided as to what I will put on my new Sonata Limited in the fall.

Good luck

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (Pinto_Siftbean @ Sep 1 2010, 03:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353499
Yeah.. nothing covers surface corrosion.. nasty stone chip can get really ugly
You have to understand when I think about cars rusting, I think about the ones that spend their whole lives at the Oregon coast. That salt air just attacks them 24/7 so here, the much thinner body panels are the first to go instead of the chassis rust you get with road salt. I swear I saw a Subaru once that had panels consisting of more rust than painted metal. I was shocked it hadn't completely collapsed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts