Hyundai Forums banner

Braking Noise

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  destro 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Sonata with 4,000 miles. Recently, I have noticed that when coming to a stop, I hear a light thump noise in the center console area near the gear shift lever. If I put my hand on the gear shifter, I can feel it move ever so slightly at the time of the noise. The noise is very repeatable. If I take my foot off the brake and start rolling and then I reapply the brake (either softly or hard) it will make the thump noise. It is not very loud and can be drowned out with loud music, but if listening to news, it is very noticeable and annoying in city traffic, where stops are very frequent. I put the car up on ramps and looked underneath and did not see anything noticeable. It will probably require the center console between the seats to be removed. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

#2 ·
Is this a single "thump" that you hear only once upon brake application, or is it a continuing thumping noise as long as the brake is applied? If it is a single thump, I would suspect it is the shifter inter-lock solenoid. Can't say that I have noticed this noise on our Sonata, but it is common to hear the shifter inter-lock solenoid activate on many cars when the brake is applied. Usually, this noise would be drowned out by normal road noise when driving.

#4 ·
Just an update on this issue. Got my car back from the dealer today. The clicking noise in the center console area was in fact a shift interlock solenoid. They actually replaced four parts: the solenoid holder, the solenoid, a damper, and a shift lock part. The first set of parts they received were defective and had to order a second set. If you have noticed this noise, the best way to duplicate it is to put the key in the ignition, turn the key to the on position but don't start the car. Leave it in park and apply the brake. You will hear a click noise near the shifter. It will repeat each time you press the brake.

#6 ·
Update: I called the dealer while my car was there and told them which part to replace per your message and they said they would look into it. Later they called to say they replaced that same part, Shift Interlock Solenoid, and all is good now. The note from the tech said it was too loose or too long or something to that affect. Now I have a nice quiet braking experience. Thank you.

#7 ·
Clicking Noise upon braking to complete stop

Can someone tell me what Hyundai dealer on Long Island was willing to replace the Shift Interlock Solenoid to resolve the clicking sound that happens when i come to a complete stop at lights and stop signs? Atlantic Hyundai in West Islip is giving me resistence to fixing this. I'm so frustated. My car has 5k mile and is a 2012 Elantra Limited.

#10 ·
Never in my life have I owned a new car or any car for that matter that makes an audible click sound everytime you come to a stop at a traffic light or stop sign. My Elantra has 5k miles and I've been driving it for 7 months without this problem. I believe, as the gentleman above stated that it's the shift interlock solenoid ... which he had replaced at a dealer ... and puff, the problem was gone. Because this guy is from Coram, NY, (two towns away from me), I wanted to find out which dealer was willing to change the solenoid on Long Island. Anyway, my dealer in West Islip is now willing to change the solenoid tomorrow, so we'll see what the outcome is.

#12 ·
Thank some DING DONG Audi owner and .GOV some 30 yr ago for shifter interlock mandate..

Electric solenoids do make noise, how much before we draw line and complain a mandated operating system is noisey during normal operation ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.