Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new 2018 Elantra Limited the other day.....Love it. It is the 4th Hyundai we have bought over the years including a Sante Fe and Sonata...

Anyway, on the Elantra, drove it around town for a day or 2 and then the other day took it on the highway to go to work. I and doing 65mph all fat dumb and happy and up ahead there is a slow down. I go to slow down with the brakes and there is this loud hum/growl as I am applying the brakes to stop. Once under about 30 mph the noise fades away. Thought I was hearing things so proceeded to drive to work and sure enough, every time I have to slow down from highway speed using the brakes the loud growl/hum happens. Take the foot off the brake and it goes away.

The steering wheel does not vibrate at all. Sounds like the noise is coming from the front end but cant be sure.....

Any thoughts?? Car has only 200 miles on it. Hope its something Hyundai can take care of.....

I am scheduled to bring it in on Monday.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
OMG what are trying to get this person to do? WD40 on the rotors. Your kidding. I would give it a few more miles to wear in and if it still makes the noise book it in for a check.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Please do not use WD40 or any lubricants on your rotors/discs.

Take car to dealer if noise persists or simply remove wheels and carry out visual inspection.

Ensure car is correctly supported.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Kid's Soul and our 2017 Limited were the same way, did a terrible job of lubrication the four wheel disc, call this post production work. Silicone grease on the caliper guide pins, anti-seize on everything else. That black brake grease is next to worthless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no plans to WD 40 anything.......just getting some thoughts on it.....I will probably not drive
it for a couple of days until I take it in....just in case.....
I still have my 2011 Sante Fe to drive.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
My guess was surface rust but the fact that the noise goes away below 30 mph rules that out.

Could be improper lubrication or deposits on the pads/rotors, but yeah, just have the dealer figure it out.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Brakes are just the opposite of anything else, any kind of lubrication on them makes them squeak like crazy.

May not be the brakes at all, when my daughter had her Soul serviced at her dealer, right front tire was about ready to fall off. Good thing it didn't.

Seems common among huge large city dealers, do give you the best price, but forget about service, prefer small town dealers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have no plans to WD 40 anything.......just getting some thoughts on it.....I will probably not drive
it for a couple of days until I take it in....just in case.....
I still have my 2011 Sante Fe to drive.
Hi hdriver.. just kidding about the wd40... It's best to use high temp grease on the rotors... Just kidding...

I would suggest since your pads are new the following break in / seating of pads to the rotors ..

https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

I have used this technique on all of my cars and motorcycles everytime I installed new pads..

Give it a run and let us know the outcome

Regards

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

·
22,793 Posts
I encountered a circumstance that required me to stand on the brake pedal much harder than normal due a rapid deceleration in traffic up ahead. The anti-lock system kicked in. And it made a horrible grinding sound. I knew that was it from the pulsing of the brake pedal. Normal breaking has never done this, before or after. Maybe you unconsciously crossed that line between “normal” and “Oh, s***!!!?”

1 - 15 of 15 Posts