Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2013 bk2. Front brakes lock up and begin to smoke. I changed front and rear brakes, right caliper, bled system 2 times, and resurfaced all rotors. Issue still occurring. Anyone know what this can be? Or can help with fixing it? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2013 bk2. Front brakes lock up and begin to smoke. I changed front and rear brakes, right caliper, bled system 2 times, and resurfaced all rotors. Issue still occurring. Anyone know what this can be? Or can help with fixing it? Thank you.
Both sides would point to master one side to hose.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's possible the master is bad. Are you losing any fluid? How does the brake pedal feel?
How about the ABS or brake lights on the dash, are they on?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It definitely sounds like the master cylinder piston is not returning to the neutral position. First thing to check is the brake (not break) pedal push rod that actuates the master cylinder. Your brake pedal may not have enough free travel and is keeping the brake piston from moving back in the master cylinder piston bore. This will prevent brake fluid from returning to the master cylinder. You likely replaced a **** load of parts that had nothing to do with the problem.
Note to others reading this post. If your brake pads are wearing evenly, you do not need to resurface your discs. Prior to replacing the pads, lightly sand the disc with 80 grit sand paper in the same direction as the marks on the disc. Resurfacing just uses up the disc. If you are getting a lot of brake squealing, try using a slightly softer brake pad and make sure the pad is coated on the back side before installing. The coating prevent pad vibration reducing noise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get a manual for the car at a parts store and follow the instructions for setting the pedal free travel before replacing the master cylinder. Your car likely has power assist too. So, check the manual for any adjustments on it too. If the assist is getting some vacuum without the pedal being depressed, then the air vent may be partially plugged. The power assist works by applying vacuum to one side of the diaphragm while allowing atmospheric air to push on the other side of the diaphragm. If the assist vent is plugged you can get a partial vacuum on one side and the assist will be applying pressure on the master cylinder piston all the time or whenever the engine is running. This can happen with hydraulic assist systems too.
I learned this lesson on the 1951 Studebaker back in the 1970s when I was restoring the car. Master cylinder piston wasn't returning all the way and I couldn't move the car. Took about 5 hours to figure it out and I eventually replaced the master cylinder for other problems.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well I am going to be the odd man out here I think. Although the symptoms point to a MC problem, and if this were an older car I would tend to agree, in a modern car this can be caused by a myriad of things. First though I have a question, why only replace one caliper?
You have ABS something internal could be telling the brakes to apply, possibly your traction control is malfunctioning, perhaps because a speed sensor is faulty. It may be as simple as not having lubricated the slide pins.
If you feel that it is the master cylinder, bring along a proper sized flare wrench and when it happens, crack the line going to the front brakes at the master cylinder, heck crack both the lines leaving the master cylinder. If there is pressure in the lines the brake fluid will come out forcibly, like when you bleed the calipers. Block the tyres when you do this and keep your foot off the brake. If the line to the front brakes really squirts out compared to the line for the rear, and the brakes release you have found your problem. If not, then work your way done to the ABS unit and crack the lines going to the front. Again this is only if cracking the line to the front brakes on the master did not release the brakes.

PS make sure you tighten the lines you cracked open before driving the car.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Been a week. What have you tried?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts