Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in for my Oil/Filter Change at my Hyundai dealership. I was at about 70K miles. I went to a different dealership than I usually go to since I recently moved. While I was waiting they came to me and said my brakes were worn about 2 mm left and I needed new roters as well. In addition I needed a new drivers belt, air cabin filter replaced and needed my brakes flushed.

I brought my car to a local reputable brake shop and after doing a brake inspection they said the brakes were indeed worn but I don't need new rotors. I paid close to $400 for new brakes and brake flush. I took some photos after the service was done and noticed some weird white residue (see below). Any idea what that is? It doesn't look normal. The brakes don't feel any different, still takes the same amount of time to brake.

The Hyundai dealership also had said I needed a new drivers belt - is that normal at 70K?

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
He did a great brake job. I think he put silver antiseize on the caliper to prevent the rust. If rust spreads here it can expand the hole, and brakes become sticky. I've never seen red stuff on the brake pad, but I guess the pads won't fall off from the caliper, so they won't wear on brake rotors when you release the brake pedal

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
By the looks of the lip on the rotor, looks like they should have been replaced,
New 1.10" Service limit 1.04"=.06" wear or .03" each side.
Brake flush is something that everyone should do every 2 to 3 years, but most never do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They told me I came just at the right time. If I had come any later I probably would've had to have gotten new rotors. Is it dangerous for me to drive with Rotors like that? Also, after how many miles should I have the driving belt replaced. My car is a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and it has 71K miles on it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You only need to replace the drive belt if it's brittle/frayed/cracking. 70K seems a little early, but if someone spilled oil on it at some point then that would cause it to break down.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,037 Posts
The silver is brake caliper lube or an anti seize lube to keep the calipers from sticking and the red is anti squeak it kind of sticks the pads to the caliper. The most common cause of brake squeak is caused by the pads against the caliper.

At 70,000 mi they should have at least turned the rotors if there was enough left on them, they look to have a small ridge and hot spots. But if they are working for you without pulsing, noise and stopping distance and performance is ok, you are good.

Belts can go at very different intervals depending on what they are exposed to. As previously posted it is important to check it for wear, cracks etc regardless of age and miles. Replace if worn it is a lot better than breaking it and being stuck or overheating and causing engine damage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts