Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I hit 62k miles in my Tucson and I am in need of brake pads... I may get an all ne. Set of everything as well, but not sure yet. Can anyone recommend a good brand? I see PowerStop... But I have read terrible reviews about them... Any help/information would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have just replaced the pads and rotors on mine with Zimmermann discs and Jurid pads. They feel fine, well excellent really, and the brake check by the dealer came up better than when it was 1 year old on pads and discs that are probably not really bedded in fully. Discs lose some of their frictional characteristics as they corrode over and over again, especially on less regularly driven cars.

It is hard for me to recommend specific brands as those commonly and economically available in the US are often different to those available in Europe. My rule is to buy OEM products. If a manufacturer is good enough to pass the requirements of a car manufacturer, their products are more than likely to be fine. They have a better chance of knowing what they are doing. For brakes, I would look for ATE, Textar, Brembo, Zimmermann, Ferodo, TRW, Jurid, Bosch, and the likes. The best deal on one of these is rarely much more than equivalents from some company I have never heard of so why take the risk. For standard road use, I am a fan of Jurid and Ferodo pads though. They seem to use grippy, compounds as good as or sometimes better than the originals (except where the originals are also Jurid or Ferodo :) ).

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've had good experience with Raybestos.
However, I tend to stick with OEM if the originals gave good service.
Back in the '80s I had some disappointment with Honda rotors.
I doggedly stuck with OEM for years, but finally tried aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I've always heard good things bout PowerStop. Curious about your "bad" reviews.

Many items like this are rebranded and sold under several labels. Hyundai doesn't actually make brakes. They are outsoursed, probably from several vendors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always heard good things bout PowerStop. Curious about your "bad" reviews.

Many items like this are rebranded and sold under several labels. Hyundai doesn't actually make brakes. They are outsoursed, probably from several vendors.
The reviews I have read online a lot of people say their car was shaky, there was grinding, and they said they are made in China and complete garbage... They seem like a great deal so I was real interested, but now I'm not sure

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can only go by my personal experience with PowerStop. I bought the 4-wheel stock replacement kit from Rockauto for my ex-'08 Grand Caravan oh probably 5-6 years ago and I must say never had any problems. Granted I had to replace the front pads in that time due to mileage. A good friend of mine bought the whole kit-n-kaboodle for his '92 Miata..calipers, pads, and cross-drilled slotted rotors. I installed everything, followed the break-in procedure and he's been happy with them. That was probably 3 years ago. When my '12 Santa Fe needs brakes I will probably buy another one of their kits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can only go by my personal experience with PowerStop. I bought the 4-wheel stock replacement kit from Rockauto for my ex-'08 Grand Caravan oh probably 5-6 years ago and I must say never had any problems. Granted I had to replace the front pads in that time due to mileage. A good friend of mine bought the whole kit-n-kaboodle for his '92 Miata..calipers, pads, and cross-drilled slotted rotors. I installed everything, followed the break-in procedure and he's been happy with them. That was probably 3 years ago. When my '12 Santa Fe needs brakes I will probably buy another one of their kits.
Good to know.. These are what I'm looking at... What do you think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks like a good deal. Just follow their break-in instructions to seat the pads and you'll be all set. I am planning on the Z17 Evolution kit when the time comes.

You may get a better price at Rockauto.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Looks like a good deal. Just follow their break-in instructions to seat the pads and you'll be all set. I am planning on the Z17 Evolution kit when the time comes.

You may get a better price at Rockauto.

I have that kit waiting to go on when needed. Picked up everything for the front for under $100 delivered from Amazon.

Reactions: 12GLS3.5

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Good to know.. These are what I'm looking at... What do you think? View attachment 449224
Don't get cross drilled and/or slotted if you think it's going to give you a performance boost, cause it won't. Not on a Tuscon. Looks good though. Most shops will not turn them if ever needed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
On a street car driven with any concern for fuel consumption, cross drilled and/or slotted rotors will do nothing but wear the pads out faster

1 - 13 of 13 Posts