Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
We purchased a 2012 Sonata Hybrid in Sept. 2012. Loved the car and was getting excellent mileage. Traded in my Jetta TDI, so mileage was important to us. Shortly after our puchase we began experiencing intermittent problem with the GPS, radio. When putting the car in reverse, all volume on the radio would quit. Stop car and retry, normally the radio would return to normal. Took to dealer and they said GPS navigation unit/Radio was defective. It was replaced. Within a few weeks of the replacement, the new unit began the exact same problems. Took it back to dealer and said it was doing exactly same, so problem seemed to be electrical not defective unit. Made appointment to have unit replaced the following week. However, later that evening when backing out of a handicapped space at WalMart, the brakes began making serious grinding noise. Could not drive vehicle, so put in drive to pull back into parking space. Vehicle WOULD NOT STOP. Hit concrete post, alert chimes and flashing brake malfunction lights. Used Blue Link to call for assistance. Dealer told us it was a failure of the major hydraulic system. We were met by customer service who convinced us to trade in vehicle. Hyundai hired engineer firm to examine vehicle. said they could find no problem. However, service manager said the hydraulic had failed and the engineer said he could find nothing to dispute our facts of the accident. Hyundai refuses to do anything. Has anyone lese experienced problems with Sonata brakes?
I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid, and I'm the original owner. 94,000 miles. I was pulling into a parking lot on 09/21/2019 when I had the same problem. Brake pedal went to the floor. Horrible grinding sound from all the wheels. Chiming. Hybrid System Warning. Check Brakes. Parked the car. Got out and looked all around. No leaks. Checked brake fluid level, and it was OK. Turned the car back on and no warnings. Backed car up and no grinding sound. We were out of town and 150 miles from home and nearly as far to the nearest dealer. No problems other than being as nervous as **** for the entire drive.

Called the dealer. Hybrid mechanic was in and near the phone. Sounded like he never encountered this problem before. Told me to check brake fluid. Turn car off and on. Already did all that. Took the car to a local brake shop. Check out for leaks etc. Checked computer for codes. Everything checked out. Reluctant to go to dealer which is 40 miles away because they'll just start replacing parts like master cylinder at $500 and the hydraulic power unit for $1500 plus labor ?. Who knows, the sky's the limit.

Like one of the previous post ... What do you do when you're driving down the highway on a steep hill at 75 MPH and the same thing happens???

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid, and I'm the original owner. 94,000 miles. I was pulling into a parking lot on 09/21/2019 when I had the same problem. Brake pedal went to the floor. Horrible grinding sound from all the wheels. Chiming. Hybrid System Warning. Check Brakes. Parked the car. Got out and looked all around. No leaks. Checked brake fluid level, and it was OK. Turned the car back on and no warnings. Backed car up and no grinding sound. We were out of town and 150 miles from home and nearly as far to the nearest dealer. No problems other than being as nervous as **** for the entire drive.

Called the dealer. Hybrid mechanic was in and near the phone. Sounded like he never encountered this problem before. Told me to check brake fluid. Turn car off and on. Already did all that. Took the car to a local brake shop. Check out for leaks etc. Checked computer for codes. Everything checked out. Reluctant to go to dealer which is 40 miles away because they'll just start replacing parts like master cylinder at $500 and the hydraulic power unit for $1500 plus labor ?. Who knows, the sky's the limit.

Like one of the previous post ... What do you do when you're driving down the highway on a steep hill at 75 MPH and the same thing happens???
2012 Sonata Hybrid Brake Failure`

I read with interest the posts concerning the brake failure we suffered on our 2012 Hybrid and can understand the skepcism. I have spoken with the Tulagirl and we have both experienced the exact same problems beginning with the radio/GPS unit malfunctioning to the hydraulic brake failure. I agree that this kind of brake failure is rare and should not happen, especially on a brand new car. However, it did happen and Hyundai is not being honest. I don't believe this is a problem with all Sonata Hybrids, but seems strange that two vehicles (one in Florida and one in New Mexico) would experience the exact same problem. Both vehicles were bought within the last 3 months of 2012. Is this important? I don't know but seems suspicious.

I cannot change the minds of those who have not had problems and feel this is "driver" error. The accelerator was not hit instead of the brake. When the chimes and lights are flashing "brake failure" seems to indicate it was not driver error.

I sincerely hope none of you experience this failure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sent an email to Hyundai Consumer Affairs describing my experience. While responding to the following email, it occurred to me that this isn't a problem with the brake system. It's most likely a problem with the car's computer. It shuts the car down including make the brakes inoperable thinking that there's a problem with the brake system. If it is a problem with the brakes, why does the car work fine after starting it back up and the local brake shop couldn't find any problems with the brakes or error codes in the computer?

I wonder how many others have experienced this identical problem and simply went to their Hyundai dealer to have brake system parts replaced at astronomical costs only to have the problem reoccur. It took me many hours of searching the net to find this posting and others who have experienced this identical issue.

I strongly encourage anyone reading this post who has a similar problem to file a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Anyway, this is the response that I received from Hyundai ...
Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

We always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers. Thank you for contacting us regarding the concerns on your 2012 Sonata Hybrid. We are sorry to learn that there mechanical concerns on the operation of your brakes. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, however, we will be happy to provide information and review your vehicle records to see how we can help.

Hyundai is dedicated to achieving the highest level of consumer satisfaction with our product through quality design and workmanship and customer service. Your Hyundai dealership is in the best position to assist you with your sales, service or parts needs.

We recommend you use the following steps to resolve your vehicle's performance or servicing concerns:

1) First, speak to the Service Advisor at the dealership. This person is in the best position to respond to your concerns.

Based on your zip code your closest dealership is Martin Swanty Hyundai, located at 4180 Stockton Hill Road
Kingman, AZ 86401. Their phone number is 928-692-3232.

Or you can contact us, by calling our toll-free customer service number (800-633-5151) and reference your case number 16167017, and we will be happy to help with scheduling an appointment.

2) Should you require additional assistance, speak with the Service Manager or General Manager at the dealership.

3) After consulting with your dealership, if you feel additional clarification or help is needed, please call our Customer Care.

Hyundai Customer Care
(800) 633-5151
Monday-Friday 5:00 AM-7:00 PM Pacific Time
Saturday and Sunday 6:30 AM-3:00 PM Pacific Time

We are prepared to answer any questions regarding your Hyundai, and may also assist in getting your concern resolved through the dealership.

When contacting us regarding this email, please reference your case number 16167017. We look forward to assisting you further, and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care

·
Registered
404 Posts
It makes sense what you're saying that the brakes are not the root cause but the brain controlling... I've received this kind of message from Hyundai and this is the process I followed and ultimately had my vehicle bought back after over a year of follow through (since my issue was intermittent and hard to document), you need to follow it and document everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I basically have the same problem with my 2015 sonata hybrid The car quit on me today with all the chiming and messages about check hybrid system, check brakes and stop driving etc... Brake pedal went to the floor and horrible sounds would come from the wheels if the pedal depressed and the car would stop very erratically and suddenly. But where my case differs is that the car was still driveable so I kept on driving it for a few miles because i really had no choice being on a highway where AAA cannot tow me. So after driving a few miles trying to reach the next highway exit the car ultimately came to a stop and could not start up again. I eventually got it off the highway and towed it to my local dealership. I will go there tomorrow to see what they say. Car has 92000 miles so the warranty haS expired so I'm expecting a very expensive fix.

As mentioned in this thread, I also had noticed a weird sound coming from the driver's side for a few weeks but stupid me thought nothing of it. The sound would come on even when the car is not running. To describe it it is a whirring sound, almost like a vibration. Possibly coming from that dying computer module? I'm not sure if this is what caused the failure but thought I'd mention it. Anyway, hopefully I find out tomorrow.

I will also report the problem to hyundai as advised on here.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I basically have the same problem with my 2015 sonata hybrid The car quit on me today with all the chiming and messages about check hybrid system, check brakes and stop driving etc... Brake pedal went to the floor and horrible sounds would come from the wheels if the pedal depressed and the car would stop very erratically and suddenly. But where my case differs is that the car was still driveable so I kept on driving it for a few miles because i really had no choice being on a highway where AAA cannot tow me. So after driving a few miles trying to reach the next highway exit the car ultimately came to a stop and could not start up again. I eventually got it off the highway and towed it to my local dealership. I will go there tomorrow to see what they say. Car has 92000 miles so the warranty haS expired so I'm expecting a very expensive fix.

As mentioned in this thread, I also had noticed a weird sound coming from the driver's side for a few weeks but stupid me thought nothing of it. The sound would come on even when the car is not running. To describe it it is a whirring sound, almost like a vibration. Possibly coming from that dying computer module? I'm not sure if this is what caused the failure but thought I'd mention it. Anyway, hopefully I find out tomorrow.

Hopefully it is considered part of the drive-train and covered under warranty. It should be really...

·
Registered
11 Posts
So this morning I went to the dealer to retrieve the car from the sales lot as it needed to go to the service area. To my surprise the car started up, but the chiming and check brake message remained. So I dropped it off to the service people and apparently after a whole day they are still working on it. I have no idea if the warranty will cover repair or if they are still in the diagnosis process. Noone from the dealership called me, I had to call them to ask for a status and all I got was that they are still working on the car. Yeah I know this is a crazy dealership and I have been dealing with that BS for years. Since it is a walking distance to my house this is the reason I go there. Will update when/if they fix the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I found what was making that strange sound today. The part appears to be vibrating and that's what's making the noise. It's Hyundai Part 58620-4R001 Hydraulic Power Unit Assembly. Costs over $1,000 but not sure if the vibration means that it's defective. No dashboard warning lights. I recall the car making this noise soon after I bought it new, and the dealer said that it was normal? Posted a video on youtube at

·
Registered
29 Posts
Brake issues, car at service dept now

I am new to posting, but have been reading the forum. I have a 2011 Sonata hybrid with 41K miles on it so far. Today I had a brake issue problem that concerned me. I got in my car, just like I always do, started it up, and noise started beeping inside at me and the screen where the hybrid info shows up in front of me said "check brakes", the red brake indicator light on the dash was on. The green ready light was blinking on and off. I put the car in reverse, and when applying the brakes, it made a terrible grinding noise, then going forward the same. (I only moved the car a foot or so to see if there was actually a problem.) I tried engaging and disengaging the parking brake, no difference. I never use the parking brake anyways. I turned off the car attempting to reset it, and that did not work either. I called a local dealership and finally was able to talk to service. We were unable to rectify the problem, so he told me to call road assistance (total waste of time...6 calls, never was able to get beyond their automated line.) I got out of car, looked underneath, no issues, looked at calipers, no issues. Got back in car after about 10 minutes, and it started right up, no beeping or grinding. I drove carefully to the dealership and left it with them for their "hybrid" guy to look at on Monday. Lots of error codes in the history battery discharge, loss of power, but no brake issues. Any ideas? (No, I am not a lawyer, and I dont have any issues with Hyundai....)
I had the identical problem with my 2012 with 95,000. It happened a few weeks ago and no problems since then. However, I've been more aware of a ticking or vibrating sound when the car is off. It happens when I open driver side door or when stepping on the brake. Looking under the hood, I could see the Hyundai Part 58620-4R001 Hydraulic Power Unit Assembly vibrating and that what was making the sound. Not sure if that's an indication of it failing. Reluctant to ask the dealer because it's a $1,200 part plus labor. Made a video of the noise at

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found what was making that strange sound today. The part appears to be vibrating and that's what's making the noise. It's Hyundai Part 58620-4R001 Hydraulic Power Unit Assembly. Costs over $1,000 but not sure if the vibration means that it's defective. No dashboard warning lights. I recall the car making this noise soon after I bought it new, and the dealer said that it was normal? Posted a video on youtube at
And we have a winner.

The dealer also diagnosed the same part as reason for the failure, the part number is slightly different 58620-4r301, maybe because your car is a 2012 and mine is a 2015. But in my case apparently a new wiring harness is needed as well because they said the part failing fried the harness. Total cost for parts and labor is 7800, not covered by the drivetrain warranty unfortunately. I have taken the car to a second dealer and told them that if it is the same part that's failed I will order the part myself because I can get it for way cheaper than what they are asking. The first dealer wanted 1600 for the hydraulic unit and 4000 for the wiring harness plus labor. They are crazy. I also tried different local independent shops in my area but it's hard to find shops that work on hybrid cars. Frustrating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the identical problem with my 2012 with 95,000. It happened a few weeks ago and no problems since then. However, I've been more aware of a ticking or vibrating sound when the car is off. It happens when I open driver side door or when stepping on the brake. Looking under the hood, I could see the Hyundai Part 58620-4R001 Hydraulic Power Unit Assembly vibrating and that what was making the sound. Not sure if that's an indication of it failing. Reluctant to ask the dealer because it's a $1,200 part plus labor. Made a video of the noise at
Yeah if it is making that noise it is probably going to fail sooner or later. That noise did not exist in my car until a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It will be hard to find another mechanic to do the work. Bleeding the brakes on these cars requires a special tool. Your repair is much more costly than I would expect. 😡

·
Registered
11 Posts
It will be hard to find another mechanic to do the work. Bleeding the brakes on these cars requires a special tool. Your repair is much more costly than I would expect. 😡
Yeah the car is going to be fixed at the second dealership, but I told them I would get the parts myself. I already ordered the parts and they should be here next week. No point trying to get an outside mechanic because the hydraulic unit has to be programmed by the dealer to work properly. And the reason why my cost is more than most is because of the wiring harness. The dealer charges 4000 for the harness. I was able to get a new one for 2500, the hydraulic unit I paid 800 for, also brand new. Still a lot of money and money that I definitely did not want to spend, and the dealer will not warranty the repair, of course, since I did not buy the parts from them. I still have to contact Hyundai regarding this issue. It is not acceptable that they do not cover this repair because as we can see in this thread it is a fairly common failure, and it is also dangerous. Definitely should be a recall.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm surprised there's no recall yet or class action lawsuit initiated regarding this issue, as it seems to happen often enough to draw attention to.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah the car is going to be fixed at the second dealership, but I told them I would get the parts myself. I already ordered the parts and they should be here next week. No point trying to get an outside mechanic because the hydraulic unit has to be programmed by the dealer to work properly. And the reason why my cost is more than most is because of the wiring harness. The dealer charges 4000 for the harness. I was able to get a new one for 2500, the hydraulic unit I paid 800 for, also brand new. Still a lot of money and money that I definitely did not want to spend, and the dealer will not warranty the repair, of course, since I did not buy the parts from them. I still have to contact Hyundai regarding this issue. It is not acceptable that they do not cover this repair because as we can see in this thread it is a fairly common failure, and it is also dangerous. Definitely should be a recall.
Just curious, do you have proof of the fried harness? Isn't that what fuses and such are for? Perhaps it is just a connector issue? Yes, you should contact Hyundai on this issue, not sure why you're waiting?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curious, do you have proof of the fried harness? Isn't that what fuses and such are for? Perhaps it is just a connector issue? Yes, you should contact Hyundai on this issue, not sure why you're waiting?
No i do not have proof but it was diagnosed by two different dealers. I will demand to see it though, so thanks for that. That harness includes the whole fuse box assembly. It cannot be had separately apparently. Part number:
912514R033​

·
Registered
404 Posts
No i do not have proof but it was diagnosed by two different dealers. I will demand to see it though, so thanks for that. That harness includes the whole fuse box assembly. It cannot be had separately apparently. Part number:
912514R033​
Not sure how this module would fry or require a whole new fuse box assembly and all. This is the purpose of this which is to protect the wiring and things. Perhaps the electric assembly caused the module problem? Perhaps you can find this electrical assembly from a wrecked vehicle as these typically last well beyond the life of any vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you have a link to the $800 part 58620-4R001 HPU? I strongly encourage anyone reading this post who has a similar problem to file a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have a link to the $800 part 58620-4R001 HPU? I strongly encourage anyone reading this post who has a similar problem to file a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Well like I said, my part number is slightly different from yours as you have the 2012 HSH and mine is 15'. But I got it from amazon, and have snagged the cheapest one they had on sale. This one is going for 960.00 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTV242R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wondering if you got the car fixed and whether or not you now have a silent Hydraulic Power Unit?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts