Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake issues, car at service dept now

I am new to posting, but have been reading the forum. I have a 2011 Sonata hybrid with 41K miles on it so far. Today I had a brake issue problem that concerned me. I got in my car, just like I always do, started it up, and noise started beeping inside at me and the screen where the hybrid info shows up in front of me said "check brakes", the red brake indicator light on the dash was on. The green ready light was blinking on and off. I put the car in reverse, and when applying the brakes, it made a terrible grinding noise, then going forward the same. (I only moved the car a foot or so to see if there was actually a problem.) I tried engaging and disengaging the parking brake, no difference. I never use the parking brake anyways. I turned off the car attempting to reset it, and that did not work either. I called a local dealership and finally was able to talk to service. We were unable to rectify the problem, so he told me to call road assistance (total waste of time...6 calls, never was able to get beyond their automated line.) I got out of car, looked underneath, no issues, looked at calipers, no issues. Got back in car after about 10 minutes, and it started right up, no beeping or grinding. I drove carefully to the dealership and left it with them for their "hybrid" guy to look at on Monday. Lots of error codes in the history battery discharge, loss of power, but no brake issues. Any ideas? (No, I am not a lawyer, and I dont have any issues with Hyundai....)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd recomend taking it in to the dealer TWill. While Dmurphy may come back to answer, it's a little unlikely (only 1 post total on the forums including the one above).

Your Hyundai dealer should have a trained Hybrid technician that can take a look at your car and see what's going on.

If you don't feel safe driving it, there's always roadside assistance too :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted under another title "brake Problem". My car is currently in the shop with a hydraulic control module failure. It is waiting on the part. I will update my other post with more info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My brakes sound a bit noisy when I'm backing out of the driveway every morning, but by the time I'm a couple of miles down the road, I don't hear a thing. Now, 100% of the time I've had the car, it's been the dead of winter (with a couple of episodes in the high 40's or low 50's) so that might be part of the problem, we'll see as spring rears its head (soon, please, I'm tired of snow!)

Still, this thread gives me caution, and I'm ready to hit the emergency brake if necessary. I do miss having it in the center console like it was with my 2002 Elantra that I traded in on the HSH...

Its likely because of wet/frozen brakes/roters. I used to have this a lot with my previous car, especially when backing up - even with 'quality' ceramic brake pads (which seems to show that it shows up on the rear brakes more often). With the HSH '13, I think I've only heard this once or twice; after a few full stops, problem is usually gone.

I used to spray brake (cleaning) fluid on the rotors of my old car, but don't even bother anymore since the noise always went away after a few stops.

Also never experienced any problems with the braking system, except when I maybe move my seat around a bit and notice I have to press harder than usual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brake Failure 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

This was posted awhile back but I hope everyone sees this. I bought a new 2013 Hyundai sonata hybrid (fully loaded) in February 2014. I have 7518 miles on it as of today. I turned on the car in the driveway (thank God) and as told above got flashing Alerts and noises. Hybrid failure. Do not drive vehicle. Check brakes. I turned the car off then on again. Same think. I checked the emergency brake several times (I've never even used it). I put the car in reverse left off the brake and little and again, as described above I heard an awful grinding noise. I probably backed up 2 feet. I get out of the car and there brake fluid everywhere. It's Sunday so dealerships are closed here in Texas. I'm so mad I can't hardly see straight. I'll keep you updated but I do not feel safe driving this vehicle even after they "fix it".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sonata Hybrid 2013 Brake Failure

I bought a new 2013 Hyundai sonata hybrid (fully loaded) in February 2014. I have 7518 miles on it as of Sunday. I turned on the car in the driveway (thank God) and as told above got flashing Alerts and noises. Hybrid failure. Do not drive vehicle. Check brakes. I turned the car off then on again. Same think. I checked the emergency brake several times (I've never even used it). I put the car in reverse let off the brake and little and again, as described above I heard an awful grinding noise. I probably backed up 2 feet. I get out of the car and there brake fluid everywhere. I called BlueLink, the man says, "Good afternoon, I hear alarms going off do you need emergency help?" I told him no. He asked me to read him the alerts because he wasn't getting any coding on his end (WTH?) Why not? He connected me to Road Side and because dealerships are closed on Sundays in Texas we had to opt for a next morning pick up. I called the dealer on the way and told them I wanted someone there to greet me. The service guy told me he turned on my car and got no alerts or alarms. He said he pulled up my Bluelink profile and also found nothing. I explained that the guy on the phone from Bluelink said the same thing.

It's Tuesday and I just got a call from the dealership. He said they hooked up my car to the computer and its is "in fact pulling a brake failure code". They supposedly called the mechanical tip line to get ideas. They are starting with replacing the Brake Master Cylinder Combo. Whatever that means.

I also told him there is an obvious miscommunication with the computers in my car. BlueLink isn't receiving alerts which is an obvious issue. He told me they would do additional diagnostics on it.

I DON'T EVEN WANT THIS CAR BACK! Thank God I wasn't on the freeway with my 6 year old I was on the way to pick up. I have called Hyundai Consumer Relations to ensure that this isn't swept under the rug. I don't want someone to die from this.

So scary.....can anyone relate or does someone have some suggestions on how to handle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing this EXACT problem right now! This is one of the very few forums I've found that has this problem.The sad thing is I bought it through a toyota dealership-so I'm taking my car there tomrrow and they're going to look at it. If not- I know Hyundai did a recall on 2011 Sonota brake issues, I don't know if that will help. My car was purchased a 10 months ago at 40,000 some odd miles. and now at 60,000 something and it's done this randomly for the last few months. Getting more serious now. If I turn it off, it resets something and works fine for a little while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake Failure - Check Brake system

I came here just to post this.

My wife's 2012 Sonata Hybrid had a full brake failure today. She started the ignition, alarm bells chimed on, "Check Brake System" flashed on, and the brake pedal sank all of the way to the floor with absolutely no hydraulic pressure. She had our two kids in the car, and this is absolutely terrifying that if this happed while the car was in motion, it would be bad news.

I came home from work, started it, applied pressure to the brake, and it now had pressure. I called Hyundai and they think I cannot replicate the problem, there's not much they can do.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Around 60k miles on my 15. I had this issue yesterday morning. I left it in the driveway and borrowed another car to get to work. After work, I didn't get any errors, I have a fancy OBD/ABS reader which showed no codes but the brake pedal sank all the way down. I had roadside take it to the local dealer. I hope they fix this issue...

My second YF Sonata Hybrid... I'm one of the first and highest total mileage YF Sonata Hybrid owners (100k on the 11 and 60k on 15). I still really like the car! In fact my in-laws JUST bought an 18 Sonata Hybrid on my recommendation!

I'll update when they find out the issue. I won't take 'cannot replicate the problem' as an answer... we learned that the hard way with the early 2011 Sonata Hybrid HPCU issues.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Put me down for another 'hydraulic power unit' replacement... 63k miles.

Dealer couldn't replicate the brake failure. But did see the pedal go all the way down so they fixed it. As other's have said, this is not a cheap replacement; dealer will charge you close to 2k total... 1.4k for the part.
I won't say which dealer... but they were nice enough to cover mine despite being just out of warranty. I have in the past complained about brake noises; I still think there was air in the line or something wrong with my brakes since the first summer I had the car. Other dealers have always told me not to worry about it.

They've earned my repeat business.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Put me down for another 'hydraulic power unit' replacement... 63k miles.

Dealer couldn't replicate the brake failure. But did see the pedal go all the way down so they fixed it. As other's have said, this is not a cheap replacement; dealer will charge you close to 2k total... 1.4k for the part.
I won't say which dealer... but they were nice enough to cover mine despite being just out of warranty. I have in the past complained about brake noises; I still think there was air in the line or something wrong with my brakes since the first summer I had the car. Other dealers have always told me not to worry about it.

They've earned my repeat business.
Hey Reg, how's the brake situation since having it fixed?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Works okay. However at a stop depressing the brake partially at a stop or approaching a stop makes a light vibration/rumble that I can hear and feel it stops after about 5 seconds... not sure if this is normal.
I might bring it back to have them feel it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Another update. Brought the car back to the dealership; tech says nothing is wrong but feels the slight vibration. Tech line suggests another brake bleed which was done. Brakes much more responsive now (pedal stroke is much less) and no more vibration/rumble. Hopefully this is the end of that story. :)

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I am having the same issue. Did you ever find out the problem? Was it a battery issue?
Clarify "same issue"....

<<-- EDIT profile to reflect year Sonata Hybrid and a location to know which market you in...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid, and I'm the original owner. 94,000 miles. I was pulling into a parking lot on 09/21/2019 when I had the same problem. Brake pedal went to the floor. Horrible grinding sound from all the wheels. Chiming. Hybrid System Warning. Check Brakes. Parked the car. Got out and looked all around. No leaks. Checked brake fluid level, and it was OK. Turned the car back on and no warnings. Backed car up and no grinding sound. We were out of town and 150 miles from home and nearly as far to the nearest dealer. No problems other than being as nervous as **** for the entire drive.

Called the dealer. Hybrid mechanic was in and near the phone. Sounded like he never encountered this problem before. Told me to check brake fluid. Turn car off and on. Already did all that. Took the car to a local brake shop. Check out for leaks etc. Checked computer for codes. Everything checked out. Reluctant to go to dealer which is 40 miles away because they'll just start replacing parts like master cylinder at $500 and the hydraulic power unit for $1500 plus labor ?. Who knows, the sky's the limit.

Like one of the previous post ... What do you do when you're driving down the highway on a steep hill at 75 MPH and the same thing happens???

61 - 80 of 102 Posts