Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2002 Santa Fe 2.7 V6 auto petrol my brakes on all 4wheels come whilst I drive a brings the car to a crawl stop pump brakes then seems ok for about 2 minuets then again they come on ?has any body had this and what did you do to fix or repair it please

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,701 Posts
Are you sure the brakes are really coming on? Or is the engine perhaps just loosing power?

Maybe the brake light switch stopper has broken off, or the switch is faulty which will cause the brake lights to activate while your driving. When the engine ECU sees a signal from the brake light switch it automatically reduces engine power. It's a safety feature that is programmed into the ECU. You don't want the engine producing power, driving the car forward when your pressing on the brake trying to slow the car down.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Are you sure the brakes are really coming on? Or is the engine perhaps just loosing power?

Maybe the brake light switch stopper has broken off, or the switch is faulty which will cause the brake lights to activate while your driving. When the engine ECU sees a signal from the brake light switch it automatically reduces engine power. It's a safety feature that is programmed into the ECU. You don't want the engine producing power, driving the car forward when your pressing on the brake trying to slow the car down.

So, no power braking at the starting line? lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All four wheels lock up if I pump foot pedal it must release something and the wheels are free again it can last for two mins or a little longer I was told it could be a caliper or calipers my require a change but I was also told could be brake master cylinder or could be the abs pump and also in the mix is a brake light switch ? Ok if the abs was faulty the brakes would judder all the time when brake pedal is applied ? Brake light switch ? Turns brake lights on or off ? Brake master cylinder you push pressure in by foot brake and releases when foot brake not used ? I drive my car and not touch brake pedal and the brakes slowly come on and start to slow car car has plenty of power but brakes come on it struggles I stop pump brakes and brakes release and can drive again ? So I don't know where to start I am hoping that if I change the b.m.c . That may sort ?then get new discs pads etc

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,701 Posts
All four wheels lock up if I pump foot pedal it must release something and the wheels are free again
Is there any movement of the brake pedal when the brakes apply themselves? I'm wondering if there could perhaps be a blockage within the brake booster. You could maybe try disconnecting the vacuum line off the brake booster to see if the fault still happens. That's quite a simple thing to do that would at least eliminate one possibility. Just be mindful that the brake pedal will feel hard with no servo assist.

2475 richard said:
I was told it could be a caliper or calipers my require a change but I was also told could be brake master cylinder or could be the abs pump
I doubt a problem with a caliper would cause all 4 brakes to apply. I also think a fault in the ABS module would be unlikely to effect all 4 wheels at the same time. To me, the master cylinder seems the most likely suspect out of the things you've listed. But this fault isn't within my field of expertise, so hopefully one of the more mechanically minded guys will chime in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts