Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since I got my car in 2010, the brakes haven't been what I think they should be. Just recently, my car was sitting for 2 months in the weather, waiting to be fixed. I assumed there was a lot of surface rust. I took it out for a few drives to get rid of it all, but if I needed to stop in a hurry it wouldn't happen. I couldn't lock up the tires at all. I have new drums/pads in the rear, new front pads in the front, not sure how old rotors are. No fluid leaks in braking system, and I have bled the lines. Still seems like the pedal has more travel than it should. What else am I missing?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if the car sat for 2 months exposed to the elements, its not surprising that the rotors got a bit of rust on them. any car will do that. same goes for rust on the calipers. in fact, that is normal and a non-issue.

i have found that the seals on the front brake calipers aren't very good myself...i have had a few seize and lost my pads that way. something to watch out for. you'll see one pad worn abnormally. often its not the piston itself, but one of the slide pins goes through a bushing that also slides in the caliper bore. there's a small boot on that one to pick it out. it tends to seize in its bore usually from failure of the small boot.

as for the brake travel not being right, first try bleeding your lines again. might not have got all the air out. start with the passenger rear wheel as it is farther away from the master cylinder. then go to drivers rear, passenger front and finally drivers front wheel. you're going from farthest to closest to ensure you're getting all the air out.

there's also another cause that might not be so obvious. if you've broken a spring in one of the drums that will cause a longer than normal brake pedal travel and reduce your braking power a bit. i did that myself and ended up stupidly replacing a few parts when i didn't need to :p i just hadn't worked with drums much before then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts