Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata SE
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone,

My OEM passenger side brake/tail light recently went out. The dealership was going to charge me $30 for a set of OEM replacements, but I declined that.

I had previously received comments that you can barely distinguish the brake from the tail light from other observers. I always wanted to replace them with something better, but waited until they finally gave out. Now that one of them is out, I've received a pair of 1157 brake/tail light bulbs from Auxito. I apologize if this has been done before, but I figured someone might save himself/herself a trip to YouTube by reading this, or if they were curious about the strength of these bulbs.

The installation was very quick (took me less than 3 minutes to swap out the two sides.)

Step 1: Locate access panel in the trunk, turn lock so it faces up/down, or away from you.

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design

Step 2: Carefully remove panel (the door comes off)

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Finger Motor vehicle

Step 3: Locate and twist (counter clock-wise) the bulb that has the orange back plate

Step 4: After a bit of a wiggle, the connector comes out of the tail light housing

Automotive lighting Finger Electrical wiring Cable Electronic component

Step 5: Gently push and twist on the bulb so it comes out of the orange housing

Automotive lighting Fluid Finger Thumb Household hardware

Step 6: Reverse the process to install the new bulb (Auxito 1157 bulb shown below)

Household hardware Automotive lighting Finger Thumb Gas

Before swapping both of them out, I wanted to run them side by side to observe the difference. While I wasn't completely blown away (maybe my expectations were not entirely in check,) I could spot a difference (old bulb on the left, new LED bulb on the right.)

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

I'd say this was the easiest plug and play swap I've ever done, and I am pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata SE
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice review, noticable difference in brightness when you brake? As some aftermarket LEDs barely get brighter and people can't tell if you are braking.
Thanks for the reminder, as I forgot to specify… The picture above is with the brakes applied. With the brakes not applied, the tail lights are dimmer and are visually distinguishable in my opinion. I was looking through my photos and didn’t happen to capture one with the brakes not applied. Going to capture that when it’s darker for comparison purposes for the rest of you, but I could tell the a clear difference when my fiancée was applying the brakes vs. just the tail lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts