Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a few months ago didn't really bother me until now. Started when I would forget the parking brake is on and would just put the car in reverse & wouldn't move until I released the parking brake. Did it about 5-7 times and now everytime I brake without the parking brake on, it squeaks & is really annoying. Is there any way to fix this or is it just gonna be complicated & expensive

·
Registered
548 Posts
moe than likely the rear brakes have worn...in order to remedy, issue may be 1 of 2 possiblities... easiest is to adjust the rear brakes, however, that is only the rear "drum" brake application and not in rear "disc" brake. Most Accents I've worked on had the "drum" brake application. Typically no more than $40. to do something like that.

If the adjustment is not taking care of the squeal, then rear brake replacement is in order. Either shoes (for drums) or pads (for disc) brakes and "cutting" or "turning" the drum or rotor they ride on (which is just the term given when shaving riding surface to make smooth). Typically runs $200 or less but then shouldn't have to worry about rear brakes for at least 2 yrs.

Good luck with it all an hope I provided a good enough insight.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
^^ bingo. pull the rear drums apart and you'll find it. good job cubawashere :)

you can try greasing the pivot pin for the shoes for what little that's worth.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I made a step by step 2 part series to teach users how to service their brakes. Covered in this videos are the front and rear brakes. I show you all the hyundai service information and thickness levels and talk about weird noises. Maybe something in there might help you find your problem. Good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBw3gr5rxto&app=desktop

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the very same problem on my 2008 accent since mid spring. When i release brake pedal i hear a metallic squeak on right side. I'll take a look soon.

·
22,788 Posts
I have the very same problem on my 2008 accent since mid spring. When i release brake pedal i hear a metallic squeak on right side. I'll take a look soon.
Post what you find, Frank. And, if not too much trouble, what you did to correct it.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I Have the same squeak on my rear drums. There must be a pivot point inside that must need grease.

Yup. Same thing here. When I test drove the car I heard it but thought the rod attached to the brake pedal was the culprit, but I had my foot on the pedal after I turned the car off and opened the door, and when I let off the pedal the squeak is coming from the left rear brake.

It's going in for service Tuesday and I'll have them tell me what they find. I'd look myself, but the whole purpose of buying a low-mileage used car was to get away from working on a car every weekend! :D

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yup. Same thing here. When I test drove the car I heard it but thought the rod attached to the brake pedal was the culprit, but I had my foot on the pedal after I turned the car off and opened the door, and when I let off the pedal the squeak is coming from the left rear brake.

It's going in for service Tuesday and I'll have them tell me what they find. I'd look myself, but the whole purpose of buying a low-mileage used car was to get away from working on a car every weekend! :D
This is a simple fix. Take the drum off. Grease the contact on the wheel cylinder that meet the brake shoes. Then undo the pin shoe clips lift the brake shoes off the backplate. Grease the raised tabs with antiseize then put the clips back on and the drum. Antiseize the little screw that holds the drum on and your set. A general tip many overlook. I always do a yearly brake service on both my front and rear brakes. A simple lube and cleaning each year will go a long way. I've never had a squeak problem. That's why Hyundai has it offered in their dealership package because it makes your brakes last longer and makes them stay quiet. You got 2 options.

1. Learn how to do this yourself (check out my link on my signature)

2. Take it to Hyundai

or 3. Run them to the ground tell everything seizes like most do. LOL

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
LOL!

No, I do my own brakes, but since this has a 3,000 mile warranty I'll let the dealer handle this one. :D

But, thanks for the info! When I have to do it myself I will remember this one. Every time I do the brakes I anti-seize all the removable items, grease where it needs grease, etc. I'm not 25 anymore and can't Armstrong things when they corrode! I also look at what I might have to replace in the next few thousand miles and kubricate them, like shock bolts, etc.

I don't know if the dealer will go through all that but next time I have the wheels off I will have a look.

Thanks for the info. I have looked over a couple of your DIY guides...than heaven the timing belt was done ~5,000 miles ago! :eek:

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Brought it back to the dealer, got it back and it didn't squeak...for about 8 miles. THen the squeak was back. Maybe this weekend if I get some time I'll have a look...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts