Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have talked to many people over the years, who look at me like i have 5 heads, when i ask them if they have their brakes serviced(taken apart, cleaned, inspected, re-greased) yearly. Many just tell me: "I'm sure the dealership does it". Well, i can tell you how many go back and ask their mechanics/dealerships to do such a service and find out they have seized slider pins, torn seals, unevenly worn pads, and or seized calipers. One of those people was my own sister. She is married to a wonderful guy who only uses the dealership. He swears by it. One time i asked to take a peek around her car, among many other issues that i found needing repair, both her rear calipers were seized shut. Nothing was moving them. Effectively, after 90,000 miles of dealership only service; she was driving my niece & nephew around in a car that didn't have functioning rear brakes.
I IMPLORE EVERYONE, please have your breaks serviced (not just looked at, or "inspected"). Actually have them serviced. Ask to have them taken apart, cleaned, re-greased, and reassembled. If you have some basic tools, and are a bit handy, below is a video i did explaining the step by step process. Its fairly simple. Takes no more than 15-20 mins per wheel. if you want to drain the brake fluid, that's a separate service that also should be done yearly, and it can be done during this time as well. ill get into that more later.

Reasons to do it: life & death. a torn pistol seal will allow moisture to enter the brake fluid, which will create steam bubbles, which in result will cause zero braking power when your brake pedal hits the floor. other issues include seized caliper sliders causing uneven pad wear, or lack of braking power, or a bad being stuck against the rotor causing glazed pads which results in negative braking power.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
189 Posts
Reason #1 I do everything by myself, I know that everything is good, and if not, I can only blame myself.

I do re-grease slider pins and take appart the pads to clean the shim/hardware/sliders at least one time per year if not 2 because of winter here and road salt. I know that if I dont do it, either the caliper will freeze or the pads wont slide and it will cost me a new set of pads earlier.

I change my brake oil with a hand vacuum pump every 2 or 3 years. My 2013 have 250 000km and I have one caliper that the piston is starting to seeze for the first time and I need to rebuild it very soon.
On previous cars I didnt do brake oil replacement as often and didnt use a pump, so I remember changing caliper way more often...

·
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reason #1 I do everything by myself, I know that everything is good, and if not, I can only blame myself.

I do re-grease slider pins and take appart the pads to clean the shim/hardware/sliders at least one time per year if not 2 because of winter here and road salt. I know that if I dont do it, either the caliper will freeze or the pads wont slide and it will cost me a new set of pads earlier.

I change my brake oil with a hand vacuum pump every 2 or 3 years. My 2013 have 250 000km and I have one caliper that the piston is starting to seeze for the first time and I need to rebuild it very soon.
On previous cars I didnt do brake oil replacement as often and didnt use a pump, so I remember changing caliper way more often...
thats exactly how its supposed to be. great job!! you cant believe how many people i hear tell me that it costs to much or takes to much time. im like: ITS YOURE BRAKES!! your wife and kids ride in the car! you have for tv and instagram, then you have time to swing by a mechanic and pay $100

1 - 3 of 3 Posts