Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It looks like most replacement rotors (Amazon) lack the OEM holes for retaining alignment screws.
How critical is the lack of holes, please?

·
Registered
2010 Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.5L Auto
22 Posts
That screw is there only to hold the rotor in place at the factory. Do not need it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i consider it a step in the machining process. if it aint there, they cut corners. which, to me, is the indication that it is an inferior quality part. it definitely aint oe

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the big hole on the rear rotors for? The one that might have rubber plug in? E-brake adjustment?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep should have a rubber plug. Used to get at the brake shoe adjuster to back off the parking brake so the rotor will come off.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm prone to think that most of the pics are generic or else, not vehicle specific, due to the fact that not just holes are missing, but the rear rotors are not suitable for shoes' ebrake.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click on the main image opens set of real application pics:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought some in march and mine did not have the screw holes. However once you get the lug nuts on, the rotors can not move. The screws would only help keep them tight and prevent them from moving around before you tighten down the lug nuts AKA mostly useless.

Here are the ones I bought in march, they are probably on the cheaper side of brake kits, but I needed new calipers as mine were sticking and the rotors were shot. So far months later, have had zero issues with them and they work much better than the old ones did, so I am happy with the purchase so far. Well worth the $160 IMO, especially if yours are causing issues!

NOTE: However these are a single piston caliper (less expensive), compared to the dual ones I replaced. From what I have read, unless you are racing or need extra braking power, the single ones work almost as good. Compared to the old dual sticking ones I had replaced, they work MUCH better, however compared to working dual pistons, I have no comment, I have no baseline to compare to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Has anyone used the Powerstop Z23 kit on their SF? It's the kit that includes the drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"The screws would only help keep them tight and prevent them from moving around before you tighten down the lug nuts AKA mostly useless."
I think those screws also centre the disc on the hub.
Did the new disc's you have fit loosely or was it a snug fit on the centre hole to the hub?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think those screws also centre the disc on the hub.
Did the new disc's you have fit loosely or was it a snug fit on the centre hole to the hub?
From what I remember they were a tight fit. I looked up the screwes before I bought them thinking they might be a issue, however it seemed they were mostly useless, at least for my application.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rotors are hub centric. The screws are only there to prevent the rotors from falling off as the vehicle moves down the assembly line at the manufacturing plant.

The screws are otherwise not needed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I always keep the screws in as when the calipers are removed the calipers have a tendency to flop around and can become annoying when doing pad replacement.
Also, the drilled and slotted rotors are another annoyance as they sound like and airplane landing when the brakes are applied, and they do wear the pads down a lot faster.

·
Registered
257 Posts
"they sound like and airplane landing" perfect way to describe it. plus on the backside the metal melted it's way into the slots and holes. never again. i like raybestas. for the first time i'm trying the coated versions on my subaru and after 5 months there's no brown on them whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I always keep the screws in as when the calipers are removed the calipers have a tendency to flop around and can become annoying when doing pad replacement.
Also, the drilled and slotted rotors are another annoyance as they sound like and airplane landing when the brakes are applied, and they do wear the pads down a lot faster.
Don't know about that! I had the drilled and slotted on my 2012 Sonata Turbo for at least two years with nary a problem! No noise and braking worked fine.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Don't know about that! I had the drilled and slotted on my 2012 Sonata Turbo for at least two years with nary a problem! No noise and braking worked fine.
My were on the '11 Optima 2.0T when I purchased the car back in 2016 and they have been making the sound ever since, maybe a different style, but many complain about the noise, at least if you google. As I've already installed 4 new aluminum calipers, now those slotted/drilled rotors will be off whenever the weather cools down a bit, at least down into the 80's, on second thought, being an old guy, I'll wait until it gets down into the 70's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts