Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm basically at 43k miles. And I am a "lead-foot" kinda driver. So I'm not surprised that I need my brakes replaced.

I already had two of my four tires replaced, and will be replacing the front two pretty soon as well.

I was hoping I'd do the work myself, since they're all disc brakes and it should be fairly easy to do.

I've looked online for replacing with OEM brake parts and I found this:

2012 Hyundai Accent Parts - Hyundai Replacement Parts | Hyundai Part Number & Factory Parts

They also have read pads, and front and rear rotors.

I thought I'd look at other consumer stores and see what is available and I found this:

Duralast/Brake Pads - Front (D924) | 2012 Hyundai Accent SE 4 Cylinders E 1.6L DI DOHC | AutoZone.com

I made a shopping cart to compare prices and the total prices you'll see include a single set of Rotor and Pads for both front and rear. (So full price is twice than what's shown.)

hyundaioemparts = 263.76
autozone = 147.96

(Not including shipping and taxes, an with autozone, I can do a store pickup)

I also attempted to create a shopping cart on JC Whitney Auto Parts & Auto Accessories - Car, Truck, Jeep, Motorcycle, VW, RV & ATV - Aftermarket Parts & Accessories
but I got confused a little. I need to look at my car and see if my rear discs are vented or solid. But it looks like it might end up cheaper than the previous two, with this:
Hawk Hawk HP Plus Brake Pads - Semi Metallic - JCWhitney

coming in a two-wheel sets. (Which I assume are left and right). But they don't say front or rear.. or I'm not looking hard enough.

I also searched the forums and am finding different sites to check; rockauto and PepBoys (however, pepboys didn't have any rotors front or back, and their pads is $20, specs don't say if a 2-wheel set or not, the photo shows 4 pads, I guess 2 outer, 2 inner, but at $20 I'm a little skeptical)

Anyways, I would like your opinion on all this, and also wonder what other preperation I should consider before embarking on this journey! I am planning on purchasing a torque wrench so I don't over tighten the lug nuts.

Should brake fluids be replaced whenever brakes are replaced? What about calipers, and bolt/pins?

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyways, I would like your opinion on all this, and also wonder what other preperation I should consider before embarking on this journey! I am planning on purchasing a torque wrench so I don't over tighten the lug nuts.

Should brake fluids be replaced whenever brakes are replaced? What about calipers, and bolt/pins?

Thank you all for your help.
Hi, there's been similar discussion about brakes recently,

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-r...am-so-angry-normal-need-brakes-so-soon-4.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/188993-rear-brake-pads-worn-out-30-000-kms.html

I bought an OEM set of 4 pads to replace my prematurely worn out rears. Was about to do the job but had to drive interstate and ran out of time. On my home computer I have a downloaded service manual which describes what to do with the handbrake cabling, but dammit, I cannot find an online source for that manual where I am now ! !

So I have booked the car into a local Hyundai dealer for the pad change.

I look forward to hearing of non-OEM pads, but I think my pads wore out because of a problem with the brake actuation or pressure proportioning between front and rear, not the pad quality.

I intend to hassle Hyundai about this early wear, apparently it's not just me with this problem. Fortunately this was picked up in time to save my rotors from getting chewed up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you go with the Duralast pads- get the Gold DG924 , or (even better) the Gold CMax DGC 924. The price difference is well worth it- better stopping power, easier on the rotors, little to no fade, and quieter (than the regular, red box duralast)

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I look forward to hearing of non-OEM pads, but I think my pads wore out because of a problem with the brake actuation or pressure proportioning between front and rear, not the pad quality.

I intend to hassle Hyundai about this early wear, apparently it's not just me with this problem. Fortunately this was picked up in time to save my rotors from getting chewed up.
I've read those threads, and didn't want to hijack the threads since they were more talking about the problem of fast wearing breaks. But I am keeping my eye on them since the last few posts talk about how they should last much longer.

I know some cars have a system to balance the front and rear brakes, and unlike older cars, or ones with rear drums pressing the brake doesn't only engage the front brakes but the rears as well. Also, I feel a little depression on the brake whenever I attempt engine braking while going down hill. If I could put something along all brake lines to record the brake fluid pressure along each line and do some tests. Unless the ODBII does have that information, and not a "brake applied/released" logs.

My rear breaks did wear out faster than the fronts, however I do have to always park my car at a forward decline, so ever since I bought the car (about 2yrs ago) I had to use the parking brake, and I always pull it as far as it goes. The cable is starting to give a little, I can still keep the car from rolling in neutral with only 8 clicks of the handle. According to the user manual 6~8 clicks is what it should be, and if more requires "taking it to the dealership" (i.e. tightening the cable). Interestingly, at 6 clicks on a flat road while the gear is on reverse, the car's right side slightly tips higher than the left. While on 8, the front raises a little.

Also everytime I drive off after I released the parking brake, the hill assist stays on for few seconds while the car rolls down. I can't use the brake since that engages the hill assist. I personally believe it's a flaw in the design and I'm supposed to tap on the accelerator to release the hill assist, which is crazy since I'm parked only a few feet from the main road intersection, and I'd have to go back and slam on my brake to stop, while still on the hill and we're back were we started.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any reason for choosing semi metallic Hawk HPS over their ceramic pads?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any reason for choosing semi metallic Hawk HPS over their ceramic pads?
Not really. I went for the lowest price I guess. The ceramic Hawks

Hawk Hawk Performance Brake Pads - Ceramic - JCWhitney

is a little pricey for me. They cost about three times as much as the semi-metallic,

Hawk Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Semi Metallic - JCWhitney

You shouldn't (unless there's something wrong) have to adjust the handbrake cabling. You'll need a tool to turn the rear pistons back into the calipers.

OEM/Rear disc brake cube for use with 3/8 in. drive tool (25071) | Brake Tool | AutoZone.com
Thank you for that, I thought I can push the pistons back into the caliper using a push tool, but apparently the rear ones are threaded.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have Hawk Performance semi-metallic break pads on my F-150 and have been nothing but happy with them. I matched them with slotted rotors to keep the heat and brake dust low. The problem with OEM parts for areas like brakes is that they are almost never what actually came with the car as new. These parts are usually manufactured in more than one facility. Personally, I go aftermarket for all brake components. They are just better! Try autoanything.com as well. I am just waiting for better rotors to come aftermarket for this car before replacing pads. Not more than one turn of the rotors on the Accent.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok. So other than Pads, and rotors. I'm assuming i'll need other hardware. I've been looking and got a little confused. There seem to be hardware kits for the rear but not the front. I'm talking about the caliper "clips" not sure if i'm using the right term here. They're the ones that go on either side of the pads that they slide on.

There are the pads that I want to purchase:

AutoZone - Duralast/Brake Pads - Front

Looking at this:

https://www.hyundaipartsdepartment....iteid=217704&vehicleid=377153&diagram=1043187

Shows that the pads have a tab on the sides and not a groove.

From the Shop Manual
Rear: http://i.imgur.com/XQaqtmp.gif

Front: http://i.imgur.com/QKHICPv.gif

Has anyone changed their own brakes on the 2012s and can tell me what am I missing here?!

I'm just glad, that the rears seem fine, I can wait a little longer to do the fronts. But the rears are now metal to metal! and I can see tiny scrapes coming from the pad rivets! So the rears are a go for Sunday noon or so.

Edit: Also, I forgot to add that the pad "retainers" as the Shop manual calls them, should be available to both the front and rear, yet stores seem to be housing the wrong type for the fronts and think they don't need them!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. But when I try to look for hardware for the front brakes, this is all I get

Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Front | 2012 Hyundai Accent SE 4 Cylinders E 1.6L DI DOHC | AutoZone.com

There are no "pad retainers" on the front. If you look at the image in my previous post, they're numbered as 7.

It is my understanding, that whenever you change your pads, you should also change those, even the Shop manual calls for them to be replaced. Am I wrong about this? Can I simply clean an reuse the retainers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts