Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well I have now done just over 6,000 miles and I've noticed a slight brushing noise when I apply the brakes. When I phoned the dealer the other day it was not doing this, I was asking about 1st service prices, and asked when the brake pads would need doing. I was told around the 15,000 miles mark.

I had a peugeot 206 in the past and used to get a distinctive grinding noise when the pads had worn down! Some times it was too late and I ended up having to pay for new disks as well. As they got scored apparently.

Does anyone know if the brushing noise is anything to worry about or is this normal? It's a bit of a trek to the dealer so don't want to take it there unless its urgent. Also just wondering if it would be included under the warranty? if they have worn down so quickly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
QUOTE (KD2010 @ Nov 19 2010, 04:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373010
Hi all, well I have now done just over 6,000 miles and I've noticed a slight brushing noise when I apply the brakes. When I phoned the dealer the other day it was not doing this, I was asking about 1st service prices, and asked when the brake pads would need doing. I was told around the 15,000 miles mark.

I had a peugeot 206 in the past and used to get a distinctive grinding noise when the pads had worn down! Some times it was too late and I ended up having to pay for new disks as well. As they got scored apparently.

Does anyone know if the brushing noise is anything to worry about or is this normal? It's a bit of a trek to the dealer so don't want to take it there unless its urgent. Also just wondering if it would be included under the warranty? if they have worn down so quickly.

Hi,
Some of the earlier cars (pre 2010) had a brake fault that caused the pads to wear down very quickly. I gather the brake switch was sometimes screwed in too tightly and this had the effect of activating the ABS which in turn put on the brakes at odd times. Folk reported the disks and pads were replaced under warranty.

I suppose your options are:-
Remove the wheel from the suspect brake assembly and inspect the pads yourself,
or
Take car into one of the muli-national garages for a free check,
or
Return to the dealer although you may get charged. Having said that, if you are in any doubt, drop it in to them. They should be able to establish what is causing the noise and rule out something like a small stone between pad and disk etc.

I assume the scoring is not just slight corrosion due to water being left on the disks overnight or after the car has been washed ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi this time of year when things are damp the high iron content of discs & drums causes surface rust to be produced sometimes in a matter of hours.This will give a "sanding" sound at low speed at the start of a journey ,if this is your fault it is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the replies, I am thinking it is more to do with the dampness as suggested. I have noticed it is not doing it once the car has warmed up a bit. Think all will be ok and I will wait until after Christmas for the 1st service, and get it all checked then.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my I10 since June 2010 and I have the howling noise on the brakes since day one, it feels as if they are worn. I've been fobbed off because of course I am a woman. But if you are having problems, don't ignore them, its not right to hear this noise on such a young car!

·
Registered
47 Posts
QUOTE (angelshyundai @ Nov 25 2010, 01:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374590
I've had my I10 since June 2010 and I have the howling noise on the brakes since day one, it feels as if they are worn. I've been fobbed off because of course I am a woman. But if you are having problems, don't ignore them, its not right to hear this noise on such a young car!
Angel,

brakes are safety critical. If yours are 'howling' take it to the dealer, demand someone senior has a drive. If they still fob you off, ask them to put in writing that they are ok, then get someone else to check. If they find problems (and brakes shouldn't howl!) get it fixed and bill the dealership, talk to trading standards etc etc. Above all, get it sorted for safeties sake.

Good luck,

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts