Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silversufersonata posted some nice information on brake pads and made a recommendation for Pep Boy Platinum Organic brake pads. I intended to follow his recommendation. The Pep Boys web site had platinum series rear pads for my Sonata but not the front. I called my local store and got the same story rears but no fronts! Looking at Silver's profile I see he's got a 2003 Sonata 2.7 and I've got a 2002. On a whim I search Pep Boys web site again changing my year from 2002 to 2003. Sure enough, now the platinum series front pads show up. So I ask you assembled sages: Is there any difference in front brake pads between a 2002 Sonata 2.7 V6 and a 2003 version? Is Pep Boys just a little messed up and they don't realize that what they sell for 2003's they could also be selling for 2002's? My gut tells me there is no difference. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My gut tells me there is no difference. Anyone know for sure?
Quickly checking a (euro) site known for good data gives:
No difference. Same pad referenced for 10.2001-11.2004.
Separated by brake manufacturer Akebono vs. Mando but the pad dimensions are identical.

May not be applicable for the US market though since the cars came from a different plant. Hyundai US may have continued to fit the smaller brakes of the EF-A (2.5 V6) until a later point in time than they did in Europe (Autobahn !) where the EF-B got bigger front brakes (280x26mm) from start.

Best would be checking your actual rotor size: If it's 280x26mm the pads referenced for a 2003 model would fit. If your rotors are just 257x24mm they don't.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I checked with O'Reilly's around here and you can use the same pads, but there are some pads offered for the 2003 that are not rated for the 2002. Take Wagner's Thermo Quiet pads, for example. Part# PD887 is offered for both cars while part# PD924 is only listed for the 2003. If they don't show them as being offered on the car, I wouldn't suggest testing it for safety's sake.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Based on the 4 or five times I have done the brakes since buying the car new I have found out that with the 2003 in particular Hyundai changed the front pad design after a particular production run. For example: My 2003 sonata was manufactured in November of 02. If I bought pads for a sonata manufactured in October they would not fit. I am guessing on the months here but I had this problem the first time I went to buy pads at Pep Boys. Not sure if this helps fopr your particular situation but I thought I would chime in just in case anyone else experienced the same issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think I have an old set of pads for both front and rear I will take a pic and post it here when I have a second so you can compare the shape. If memory serves, the pads that didn't fit looked as though they could not possibly fit at all in my calipers.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the responses. What I found is that the "standard" organic pads at Pep Boys but not the platinum ones were what they showed for 2002 for the front. For 2003 it was the opposite - they showed only the platinum and not the "standard". For the rear, they showed only the platinum in both cases. The rotors were the same between 2002 and 2003. I am going with the "standard" organics on my brake job. My conclusion is that somewhere along the line between 2002 and 2003 Hyundai changed/improved the front brake pads and I have the older version. Incidentally, what has me down this path is a squealing sound that I sometimes hear when cruising along (seems to come front driver side). This squealing stops soon as you step on the brakes and sometimes (but not always) immediately starts again when you take your foot off. That is what led me to Silver's original posting. Following the advice there I checked the bearings and they are OK. The brakes were pretty well worn though hence this brake job. Besides the pads and rotors, I am also changing the hardware (the thin metal pieces at the edges of the pads. I'm inspecting other parts along the way as I do the brakes. Hopefully when it is all back together I'll have new brakes and no more squealing!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I figure you already know this but, the guide pins with the rubber bushing on the end suck. I have had them hang up on me and cause a squeak. The last time I did the brakes I replaced them, thoroughly cleaned out the hole and injected grease all the way down to the bottom. Good Luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice surfer. On my sonata there was one pin with the bushings and one without. I've never had problems with the brakes squealing (when applying them) or getting hung up. I made it a point though to clean them and re-grease them thoroughly. I made sure they moved freely. Anyway so far so good. The squealing I had while cruising is gone. This had been causing me some concern. I also feel much more confident in the front end now seeing that the bearings are nice and tight and everything else looked OK too. I think the squealing was caused by some brake hardware rubbing against something. Maybe it was a wear indicator? The inner pads have a metal tab that seemed like it was supposed to rub to tell you the brakes were wearing out. I always thought though that you would hear in when you applied the brakes. In my case applying the brakes made it stop. Anyway the new brakes are quiet and there is no chatter or pulsing when they are applied. I've used brake parts from advanced auto on my truck before but this is the first time I've used Pep Boys parts. They fit perfectly and seemed to be pretty good quality. Time of course will tell but so far I'm quite happy. The parts for the front brake job (rotors, pads, hardware, little packs of grease, tax, etc) was $122.63 out the door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts