Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I had my 2013 Sport turbo in for just a oil/filter and tire rotation, plus their multi-point check up. Everything looked good. When I got home there was a "new" e-mail with all the details of the service, a new thing they had just began. One of the many items included was the brake pad thickness.

What concerns me is the difference in the left and right side pads. Left side measured 5mm, front and rear. The right side measured 7mm front and rear.

It has been many decades since I was a service advisor for a VW/Mazda local dealership. But I can't remember ever telling a customer the big difference on their pads side to side.

I know there are some of you guys here who are working techs at dealerships.

My question to them ..... why such difference in the two sides? I can understand a difference in the front and rear, the fronts wearing a bit than the rear, but not a side to side difference.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
And I usually do annual brake tear down for disc brakes. On my Accent after about 5 years I decided to start as I figured it was time for new pads. But they were in great shape and I only completely tore one side down to regrease the pins. Well by the next spring the side I did not tear down was worn to the nubbins and the other side still had plenty of pad left.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on mileage. The side with the most wear probably has sticky pins.

The brake dust on both front rims is the same. Same for the rear. Wouldn't the left side show more dust than the right if the pins were sticking on the left?
Another thing I thought about, "maybe" the tech wrote the info down wrong and it should have read 5-5 for the front and 7-7 on the read. Makes more sense that way. I'll call the dealer next week, their closed until Tuesday, service that is.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
How much dust sticks? How much dust is 2mm? Dust can be a good sign and indeed was what made me look again at the front pads as the side I didn't work on showed a lot more dust but was more than 2mm difference in the pads.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
My question is what was used to measure the pad thickness. From my experience unless you take the pads out it's impossible to get a measuring tool in there so it's just a visual judgement on the pad. Don't be too concerned the pads have a scraper to let you know it's replacement time then you can get a true picture of how they have worn.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got an e-mail with the corrected numbers, 5mm front and 7mm rear, late last night. Was a typo on the first print out. All's well but thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My question is what was used to measure the pad thickness. From my experience unless you take the pads out it's impossible to get a measuring tool in there so it's just a visual judgement on the pad. Don't be too concerned the pads have a scraper to let you know it's replacement time then you can get a true picture of how they have worn.
It's really quite easy with this simple innovative tool:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-97844-8-Piece-Lining-Thickness/dp/B003QHSHMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527662054&sr=8-1&keywords=disc+pad+thickness+gauge[/ame] :smile:

Read the reviews!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got an e-mail with the corrected numbers, 5mm front and 7mm rear, late last night. Was a typo on the first print out. All's well but thanks for all the input.
glad to hear, quick question what is your current mileage? going to get my brakes serviced soon, im on orig brakes approx 82,000 kms or 51,000 miles. i know ill be due soon for new brakes, was just wondering... same can be said re tires :p

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
glad to hear, quick question what is your current mileage? going to get my brakes serviced soon, im on orig brakes approx 82,000 kms or 51,000 miles. i know ill be due soon for new brakes, was just wondering... same can be said re tires :p

When I took it in last week the mileage was 26,113. It is 5 years old, leased it for 3 years, in 2013, and bought it in 2016. The tires got A+ rating from the tech.

Being retired and not taking any long trips is the reason we are putting an average of just 5,222.6 (LOL, I have never figured this until now. Maybe I COULD use that once a year Mobil 1 oil) miles a year. About 15% are on the Interstates around here and the rest is in the traffic here in Mt. Pleasant. We did drive a round trip of 486 miles to NC to see our son last Sept.

·
Registered
220 Posts
haha nice, yeah that is def low mileage! my next service ill try and remember to post results of brake cleaning/inspection.... cheers

·
Registered
427 Posts
you need to grease pins every year and make sure pads glide in their tracks. If you don't, pads will wear prematurely.
I do it every spring, and ideally, it should be done twice a year (here at least, with all the salt, winter, rust).

for some reason, I had to grind the "ears" of a few pads because they had to be hammered in or out of the grooves. Manufacturing issue I guess, just a tad too tight,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts