Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tucson is a 2013 LTD. When I first back the car out of my garage, the brakes make a noise similar to a swishing sound or a creaking loose floorboard. The noise will disappear after driving 1 block. After shutting down the car, and waiting 10 minutes, the same thing happened.
The service manager said that because of the humidity factor, a rust dust film accumulates on the rotors, which is wiped off as I apply the brakes.
He said that this is normal and I should not worry. I am not worried, but I find this condition to be very annoying. I've owned many cars over many years of driving, but I never experienced this phenomenon. Can anyone please tell me if anything can be done? Thank you. Lew

·
Registered
808 Posts
My Tucson is a 2013 LTD. When I first back the car out of my garage, the brakes make a noise similar to a swishing sound or a creaking loose floorboard. The noise will disappear after driving 1 block. After shutting down the car, and waiting 10 minutes, the same thing happened.
The service manager said that because of the humidity factor, a rust dust film accumulates on the rotors, which is wiped off as I apply the brakes.
He said that this is normal and I should not worry. I am not worried, but I find this condition to be very annoying. I've owned many cars over many years of driving, but I never experienced this phenomenon. Can anyone please tell me if anything can be done? Thank you. Lew
Lew, I have the same vehicle and have never had this issue. Living in Mississippi the humidity in the summer can be brutal. For that reason I very much doubt that your issue is down to humidity.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Hi Lew/
Welcome to the forum
Moved to "LM" 2010-up forum for better response.

Rust spots on the disc may make noise when move the car again. If you washed the car & left it overnight, it may happen & will wear off in a few miles of driving. Hope your problem is as simple as that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I live in rural Pa. on a hill, and my new 2010 Tucson used to do this often. My 2011 Sportage does this every morning, I know it's a light rust issue, it must have been kept in a more damp environment before I got it.

The only thing that might fix this, is if you get stainless steel rotors. I don't know if they make such a thing?

But, just think after the initial scraping, your rotors are shiny, & good as new in any future breaking for the day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Agree on it just being light surface corrosion, which can occur in a short time, humidity/moisture dependent. The rearward backing out and initial braking may exacerbate the sound via rotational direction/angle of drive, etc.

Previous cars are previous cars...the Tuck's rotor/pad combo is what it is.

Fwiw, our 12 yr old BMW X5 has done that since day one, and is a terrific 'stopper'. Annoying, but no biggie, imo. My guess is the dlr will say your pads/rotors are fine. Do not let them machine the rotors to 'cure' the problem/complaint.
GL, mD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Squeaky front brakes

Previous posts suggested high humidity. I live in a desert and park my my car in a garage. After 10 months of driving a new 2013 Tucson my front brakes would squeak when backing out of my garage. I don't notice the sound when driving/stopping on the road. This started about the same time our temperature dropped to below 40º F. At my last oil change my dealer's service rep noted this noise on their worksheet listing all work performed. Next time I'm in their neighborhood I'll stop in to see if they have other owner's with the same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same noise on my 2013 Tucson and have had it in to my dealer twice only to be told they cleaned the and lubricated some brake cleaning mechanism. It will be quiet for a few days and then start again. We have noticed this usually in colder weather such as when backing out of our garage first thing in the morning or after it has sat for a awhile. As with others I have not noticed any problems while going forward or stopping. It is just annoying to hear something out of the ordinary on a brand new car. I have never experienced this on any other vehicle I have owned. It is a very prominent noise and should not be considered acceptable for what these vehicles cost to own.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Finally! Our dealership has made us fee like it is our fault and of course told me no one else has ever had this problem. I have had the issue since two months after I purchased the Tucson. I've been in four times to the dealership for the issue plus have had (supposedly) a Hyundai rep examine the brakes and have cases open with Hyundai USA.

Each time they blame something different. We brake too hard, we brake too soft, we drive on too many hills, our driveway is too steep, we leave it out in the rain, on and on. Loved the drive way one, especially since my 2013 Sonata is parked in the same garage right next to the Tucson and does not make any brake noise.

Each time they redo the same thing over and over again, replace the pads and sand the rotors. No changes at all, noise always comes back in 4-8 weeks.

Hyundai treats it like it's an annoying little sound. I treat it as there is an issue with a major safety system that they can not fix.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this issue? It keeps getting worse on our Tucson. I understand those who say it is a non issue and more of an annoyance but Hyundai should care about this. I see the looks on other people faces when they hear the sound and it always is the look of "I see Hyundai quality has not changed."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts