Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start off by saying the last few days in Connecticut have been crazy weather. We had about 8 inches of snow last week and then right after the snowstorm the temperatures dropped to the -5 to 15 deg. F. range for a few days. I took the Sonata out this past Saturday and everything was fine. My Sonata was then kept in thre garage for the next 2 days and temperatures gradually rose and it hit 53 deg. F with a lot of rain this Monday morning. When I drove my Sonata out of the garage for the first time in 2 days, when I applied the brakes they made this weird grinding noise. I then proceeded to drive a short distance again in the driveway and braked again, same noise. I thought something was seriously wrong but no brake light came on. Then I drove down the street and proceeded to brake again and there was no noise do I completed my 30 mile drive (mostly highway wirh rain) to work. When I drove out of the driveway this morning the driveway was wet and it was pouring rain. Do you think the wet driveway might have had something to do with the noise? Thanks.

·
22,788 Posts
I think it is the "wet" that has something to do with the noise you're hearing. Wet brakes, water, snow, or ice on the rotors and/or pads, whatever. Any moisture on those components will give you the grinding sound until the brakes have dried out. Couple of taps on the pedal should do it. What you're experiencing and hearing is normal. :thumbsup: Ever been to a car wash and heard your brakes "grind" as you first applied them? Same principle. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now, if you were to tap the brakes and the car refused to slow down or stop, well, :eek: that's a different issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
normal. no issue. The moisture outside built up on the face of the rotors and created a "surface rust" nothing to be worried about. mine does it every morning when it sits all night with wet/cold weather.

·
Registered
343 Posts
+1 to all of the responses. These rotors get surface rust after rain faster than a chubby kid eats cake! A couple of normal stops and it all grinds off, no worries.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
+1 to all of the responses. These rotors get surface rust after rain faster than a chubby kid eats cake! A couple of normal stops and it all grinds off, no worries.
As a chubby adult (former kid), I resemble that remark!

On a related note to OP's question, a few hard stops should clear off the rust pretty easily. AFAIK there is no way to prevent this and all rotors (both OEM and aftermarket) suffer from it. I blame it on the open wheel design, especially on the SE's 18" wheels.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
As a chubby adult (former kid), I resemble that remark!

On a related note to OP's question, a few hard stops should clear off the rust pretty easily. AFAIK there is no way to prevent this and all rotors (both OEM and aftermarket) suffer from it. I blame it on the open wheel design, especially on the SE's 18" wheels.
A bare metal in humid/wet conditions will oxidize. Wheel design is negligible.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
A bare metal in humid/wet conditions will oxidize. Wheel design is negligible.
Totally agree. I just feel like mine rust up even worse than cars with smaller openings in the wheels.

Also I know that I get more ice buildup in these wheels than on any other car I have owned. Like I said its more of a personal perception vs reality thing

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have driven my Sonata in a lot of rain before but it never happened until today. Just curious why it never happened before today? Maybe it has to do with the extreme variations in temperature the last 3 days from -5 deg F to 53 deg F today with a lot of snow and rain mixed in along the way.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Ice build up? Dude that just sucks.
Yea it does :mad:. Especially with temps like today (-20 :eek: WTF??) It was a bumpy, jittery ride in. To top that off, I left my prox key at home so Mama had to rescue me.

No carwashes are operating as that is my go to remedy for wheel icing in the winter plus the Sled is looking beat these days due to the salt

Man I hate winter....cant believe its only Jan 6!

[/rant]

·
Registered
746 Posts
Road salts accelerate the rusting. In Miami it rains a lot and there were days when the next morning the rotors had thin rust, The closer to the beach and the higher the salt in the humid air and the faster it happens.

All in all it really isn't a bad thing but can be seen as a good thing, the light rusting and the brakes cleaning it removes glazing from the rotors and pads and in its own way helps the pads keep a good grip on things. A small inconvenience with a small bonus.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Blue silver is your garage heated? Salt induced corrosion accelerates in temperatures above 40-50 degrees F.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I got mine towed to the stealership yesterday cause my brakes were making a TERRIBLE screeching noise. It was a **** rock stuck between the back of the rotor and the dust shield. While I was there tho they swapped my front right axle cause it was clicking when I would reverse and have the wheel turned to the right. Also got a free oil change for giving them 10's on the survey, which they deserve cause they always treat me right for service and don't even question warranty claims. However my check engine light (p0444) is on cause something in the emissions is open. lol smh Another trip for me.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that I had an oil leak from my timing cover that they resealed, which reminds me that I should check my oil level cause they changed my oil.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All was well today. Not a peep from the brakes in this 7 deg. F (yuk) weather this morning

Blue silver is your garage heated? Salt induced corrosion accelerates in temperatures above 40-50 degrees F.
My garage is not heated but the heated Family Room is above the garage and keeps it above freezing. When I pulled the Sonata out of the garage this morning the temperature gauge in Blue-Silver said 35 deg. F even though it was 7 deg. F outside. The state of Connecticut does not allow salt on the roads, only sand. I might have picked up salt from a private parking lot though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2013 sonata and I do love it....great gas mileage...beautiful body style but when I bought it it had only 15000 miles and the brakes made a rubbing sound every time they were applied. I took it to a local garage and they said the pads and rotors needed replacing cause they were rusty!! Got burnt that trip, however, it never improved with the replacement. Is this normal? It is very noisy, is it road noise or is there something really wrong with the brakes that is causing both?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have 2013 sonata and I do love it....great gas mileage...beautiful body style but when I bought it it had only 15000 miles and the brakes made a rubbing sound every time they were applied. I took it to a local garage and they said the pads and rotors needed replacing cause they were rusty!! Got burnt that trip, however, it never improved with the replacement. Is this normal? It is very noisy, is it road noise or is there something really wrong with the brakes that is causing both?
Doesn't sound normal. If you have some weather conditions that cause some rust buildup on the rotors you could get a bit of noise initially, but that should rub off after a few brake applications. You should probably get it looked at.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
nichols,

I would see if your backing plates are bent in slightly on the front wheels. I had this happen to me after a tire rotation (thanks dealer!) and it drove me nuts for about 2 weeks.

Simply remove your front wheels and bend the backing plate towards the car ever so slightly. Should take care of the noise. Hopefully, if that is the cause, your new rotors wont be scarred too bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts