Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 sonata SE is at 15k miles...im starting to hear a little sqeak when i apply the brakes going down my driveway.

so i think brake change is coming up soon.

i havent changed brakes before...

do i just replace the brake pads? what about rotors? are all 4 wheels disc brakes? do i have to deal with drum brakes?

should i go OEM? i dont mind spending more for higher quality aftermarket parts. what aftermarket breaks should i get?

finally - are there video tutorials of 2015 se sonata break change?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Where do you live? Ask mechanics to check thickness of the pads first. The pads are softer than rotors so usually you just need pads right now. The best material of pads is ceramic, stay away from cheap metallic or organic pads

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'd venture to say that at 15k miles the brakes certainly won't need to be replaced.
As stated above, when car serviced have them check the pad thickness before jumping to the conclusion the pads need to be replaced.

·
Registered
689 Posts
It probably just needs cleaning and lubing service . Unless you are always going down hill riding the brake pedal.

Have you done a brake mtce at dealer before? At 50,000km I still had like 70%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah I would say check pad life. If they are measuring between 1-3mm then you should change pads and get the rotors machined (for grooves to make it a smooth surface again) - - Typically the dealer recommends replacement of Pads and Rotors but some do offer the Machining of the rotors and you save $$ on parts. - But as MattTRIX said, it could just need a servicing, sharp edges on the pads can cause some squealing.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
It is very unlikely you need pads at 15,000 miles unless your brakes are dragging or you ride the brake pedal. I have 44,000 on mine and I drive aggressively and still have 4 mm on them, I have replacement EBC pads and rotors and will change soon just to get it out of the way.

Most squeaking is caused from debris or more likely pad vibration, try getting someone to check and be sure they are not worn out (unlikely) if there is not a lot of debris or gunk you probably can then try spraying some brake cleaner into and around the calipers and pads. Otherwise you may have to remove the pads and using disk brake stop squeal / disk brake quiet paint the back of the pads and reinstall them. CRC and Permatex make good products.

If you do end up replacing I like EBC brake pads, the Green stuff for normal type driving and the Red stuff for more aggressive driving and almost no dust. Power Stop has pad and rotor kits for $ 169 per axle ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors

1 - 7 of 7 Posts