Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting this "because".

As a preface, I live in the "salt belt", more specifically I lived in Chicago: where they throw salt down like gravel.

The rear driver brake line on my 2000 GLS decided to evacuate all the fluid from my system while driving home, leading me to have to replace the back brake lines (this is still in progress).

All of the metal lines running to/from the back of the car along the bottom are rusted badly at each spot where a connector holds them to the bottom of the vehicle. The fuel supply line looks like it had rusted through even before i bought the vehicle 8 years ago and someone had replaced that section with a length of rubber fuel hose. I'm assuming this is fine due to the low(er) pressure of fuel. Also, the evaporative line has a nice hole in it.

My main issues came when trying to take out the passenger side brake line. To get to it (it runs above the rear subframe thing), you should probably first drop the exhaust, and then drop the fuel tank. The exhaust bolts holding the sections together are rusted together (normal), so i just disconnected the rubber hangars and dropped/pulled the entire pipe to the side. Then the rusted fuel tank straps are held on by a nut on a stud. Those self-locking nuts are rusted solid. I ended up just cutting the brake lines and leaving the old piece up there.

I also noticed that it would be in my best interest to remove the fuel filter to make it easier to route the brake lines. The fuel filter holding bracket bolt snapped it's head off, then the fuel lines ended up being rusted solid inside of the fittings for the fuel filter. Both fuel lines on front and back of the filter rotated with the fittings and snapped the lines. Even better than that, no auto parts stores in town carry that fuel line fitting.

So far, I'm 1 week of evenings into this project. The end is in sight!!!!!! This is probably a warning/public service announcement to make sure you clean/coat underbodies lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as a follow-up, both rear brake lines, the fuel send, fuel return, and evaporative lines all needed to be replaced. It sucked.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just a hint - did you had the subframe recall done? It's for the salt belt states.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts