Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd LED brake lights turn on every time, I depress the brake pedal. But, all of the tail lights (the lower four bulbs) do not light up. I replaced the bulbs and to no avail.
Is this a relay issue or fuse?
I checked the fuses inside the cabin according to the manual they looked okay.
I would like to resolve this quickly before someone rear ends me by not seeing my third brake light.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I see you have a 2013 XL and probably have a similar fuse layout as mine, try pulling that big main yellow fuse by turning off then back on again and see if that helps. You already checked the fuse as you mentioned but don’t know if you check that yellow fuse yet. Here’s a pic if that yellow fuse I’m referring to and see if that helps. GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DINO2K. I cycled the main fuse but the problem still persists.
I am going to try see if the brake switch is getting power or needs replacement.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am going to try see if the brake switch is getting power or needs replacement.

Wow that sucks and sorry I couldn’t help you, GL on checking that brake switch and please post up your finding once you have figure it out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Trip the relay and see if the lamps light. I believe the switch is two pole and activates the relay to provide 12 volts to the lamps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is old post but I have this problem on my 2013 SF Limited. Third brake light works but the brake lights in the tail light assemblies do not work (neither side, and don't know if they went out at same time or independently). Checked the 15 amp fuse in the cabin fuse box and it looks okay. Also, cycled the big yellow breaker in the cabin fuse box to no avail.

There are a couple of other fuses for the "brake switch" which I haven't tried to check.

Any suggestions? And removing the inner panels to get access to the tail lamp assemblies is not described in the owner's manual. Any hints on how to do this in order to check the bulbs?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is old post but I have this problem on my 2013 SF Limited. Third brake light works but the brake lights in the tail light assemblies do not work (neither side, and don't know if they went out at same time or independently). Checked the 15 amp fuse in the cabin fuse box and it looks okay. Also, cycled the big yellow breaker in the cabin fuse box to no avail.

There are a couple of other fuses for the "brake switch" which I haven't tried to check.

Any suggestions? And removing the inner panels to get access to the tail lamp assemblies is not described in the owner's manual. Any hints on how to do this in order to check the bulbs?

Thanks, John

See if this helps......

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I now see how the assembly is supposed to come out but can't get good enough grip to pull it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know if there are brake lights in both the corner light assembly as well as the section in the hatchback for the 2013 SF Limited model?

I haven't had any luck removing the outside (corner) assembly, maybe I will move on to the hatchback light assembly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well I now see how the assembly is supposed to come out but can't get good enough grip to pull it out.
On my 2017, it's not so much getting a grip on it, I used rubber gloves and while lightly striking it on the side and at the same time with the same hand pushing it backwards, it came out if that makes sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally got the two side assemblies off. Applied some heat with a hair dryer to the forward area of the assemblies (don't know if this helped) and used yellow rubber dish washing gloves for better grip pushing assembly to the rear. Found both brake light bulbs with smoky residue one side of bulb although the filaments appeared intact. Replaced both with bulb number 2347 and they now work.

Don't know if the lower part of the rear light on the lift hatch are also brake lights? Took off the access panel (super easy compared to the side assemblies) and removed bulb - was dual filament and glass bulb was clear but second filament does not light up when lights are on or brake is applied. Will replace anyway to see if they will light up when braking.

John

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
The second lamps may be fog lights. Every country is different and I find some manufacturers use double filament bulbs and don't use one of the filaments. That includes Hyundai.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts