Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
First I'll apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. I used the search but couldn't find any help. My driver's side brake light is out and I can't get the housing out to replace it. And I am loath to pay $30 to the dealership to sort it out.

Any help would be appreciated. This car is killing me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Open the trunk. Locate the rear light assembly service cover that covers the back of the light assembly. The covers are located at the rear corners of the trunk. Remove the two retaining screws. Remove the cover.

Remove the three retaining bolts that hold the rear light assembly. Slide the assembly rearward and outward from the car.

Locate the socket for the defective bulb. Grasp the socket from the back of the rear light assembly and turn it counterclockwise until it releases. Pull the socket out of the assembly.

Push the defective bulb into the socket and turn it counterclockwise until it releases. Pull the bulb from the socket.

Insert a new bulb and reassemble the vehicle by following the steps in the reverse order.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I couldn't tell a detail since I have a sedan...I don't know Did you car come with LED tail lamp or not?
But I supposed it was not...it should come with halogen 1157 (2357) bulb...You can get it at any local auto store...
Or you want to upgrade it to LED...Just put red jdm astar 1157 red...on Amazon...that one is great and will last long time with your car...
About how to take it out...you should check the car manual for picture as reference...I just tell you as I did on my car...I think it would be similar...
The process is simple and easy...you need a wrench size 8 I remember...then open the trunk....look on the left side with the metal clip...
You need a scissor to cut the black panel...
Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzqTtSAUgHs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sparkman BC! That looks like the procedure for the Elantra Sedan. My car doesn't have an access panel. I had to remove two 10mm bolts from the light assy. and two more to remove the carpet. It feels like the assembly should pop out but there's something preventing it from coming out. I would post pics but my wife had to take the car to work. I'll post pics tomorrow

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you haven't fixed this already, you are correct in taking out the 10mm bolts. Then you need to pull the light out from the rear, I know it feels like something is still holding on but it's one of those plastic tabs that cars use now. Grab the whole brake light assembly and pull rearward and it should come out, when you finish replacing the bulb line up the plastic tab and push the brake light assembly back in. I was frustrated too all of the instructions online are for the sedan not the hatchback GT model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts