Hyundai Forums banner

Brake Light Problem

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Chatis 
#1 ·
Hi Sages. Thank you in advance for your help.

Taking our 2012 Elantra Touring for new tires my son informed me that the brake lights were not working. They were not - all three. This is what I have done so far to trouble shoot:
  • Checked the fuse on the drivers side dash - 15A - its good
  • Checked the brake pedal switch - its good
  • Checked the bulbs/globes - they are good
Once I did that I asked my son to come depress the pedal and the brake lights worked. I asked him if he was looking at the top light or the bottom LH and RH lights. When he went to look the lights were not working. I called BS and swapped positions with him and the lights are NOT WORKING AGAIN. I am totally confused. I think it may be a bad ground.

Does anyone know where the ground for the brake lights is located? Is there a picture or procedure to get to it?

If not the ground what else could it be. The fact that they worked after I was messing with them, and likely closed the trunk hard, may have given a temporary ground.

Any help appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
For the lower lights (not the 3rd) I have had contact problems in the sockets, I had to bend them up to make mine work

#5 ·
Resolved. Wanted to close this thread.

The three brake lights do not share the same ground so that ruled out a common ground fault. So it had to be systematic. Switch or fuses which I had already checked.

I decided to buy a new switch ($11) and just swap the connector to test it. That solved the problem. I have the other switch on my bench and it still works so I have no idea as to what the issue with it is.

Closing the thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.