Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing this but just for the center brake light. Lately, I have seen some cars around town with the flashing center brake light and at least for me, I think it does get your attention more than the standard brake light.

I have only done minimal research up to this point but this seems easy enough to install.

Does anyone out there have any experience?

This seems to be a fairly good web site

Blinking Smart Stop - Flashing Brake Light

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
As an observer I hate being behind those in slow moving, stop-and-go traffic when the person is on and off the brake frequently. It's so freaking annoying that there have been times I contemplated plowing into their car to make it stop. Not really :grin: but you know how I feel.....

Not to mention it's technically illegal. 3rd brake light is supposed to be solid only and though I doubt you'll get stopped for it, just throwing it out there.

·
22,792 Posts
^ Right on! I do, however, like the momentary 2-3 quick strobe flashes of emergency vehicles (ambulances) as the driver presses down the brake pedal. Then it goes to a solid red. It sure gets my attention.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an observer I hate being behind those in slow moving, stop-and-go traffic when the person is on and off the brake frequently. It's so freaking annoying that there have been times I contemplated plowing into their car to make it stop. Not really :grin: but you know how I feel.....
I wouldn't even consider it if the brake was constantly flashing.

This only flashes 6 times then turns solid. In addition, Once you have applied your brakes for the first time causing your third brake light to flash and then turn solid, touching your brakes again within 8 seconds will cause your third brake light to turn on normally without flashing. In other words, you must have your foot off the brakes for more than 8 seconds before the Blinking Smart Stop will reset and cause your third brake light to flash again.

I am currently researching the law in Florida. It seems the FL law addresses continuously flashing lights. I have determined that any lighting infraction is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me, the main factor to consider is whether or not these kind of brake light features statistically reduce rear end collisions. Unfortunately I doubt if any information that is that specific is out there. The info is out there for the effectiveness of the center brake light but that's it. There is a lot of discussion on various forums regarding these kind of issues especially with motorcycles and modulated headlights and such. Even the sequential illumination led lights have come into question. The flashing brake lights on motorcycles is quite common. If it's convenient, next time I see a car equipped this way I think I will try to follow it for a while to get the full effect.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
A flashing brake light is only attention-grabbing if nobody else has it. Once it catches on, the average traffic jam will look like Times Square and drivers will be mesmerized into a deeper coma than before. Pedestrians wouldn't stand a chance of being seen.

Wanna improve traffic safety? Eliminate brake lights, airbags, seatbelts, traffic lights and all lane markings. Put a pair of metal spikes on every steering wheel, aimed straight up the driver's nose. I guarantee an immediate improvement in driving skill across the board. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've seen a couple of cars around here with this mod. Before I realized it was an actual mod, I thought that there's something wrong with the electrical connections, lol. Not a big fan of this specific mod

·
Banned
998 Posts
keep the lights clean, do not smoke them, check light bulbs from time to time to make sure you DO have the lights... the strobes? Maybe it would add some, but as pointed by Andrew - there might be some legal issues.

Say, I saw you hitting the brakes, but then they go away (first blink) so I do not hit mine yet... it might work opposite way as well, not like the manufacturer thinks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used a Back Off module in the center cab light of my pickups for years.
They were designed for use in a motorcycle tail light.
You must NOT use them for your right and left brake light but they are very effective when used in a center brake light.
I intend to get one for the Elantra when I have the time to check how much access room is in that light.

Too many people not paying attention or texting nowadays. I want to be seen!

·
22,792 Posts
Spoiler with brake light will move the bright red hue about 2 feet closer to them. And LED lower lenses will also add more "braking" alert. At least I like to think mine does this! ;)

Of course, if they're not paying attention, no amount of light is going to help.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Didn't say it was perfect.
Nothing and nobody is perfect.
The problem is that we try to overcome for others fault instead of start from the bottom of the problem - education.
One federal law - no more states where you can text and drive, while others hands free phones.
Yearly safety inspection - I was rear ended by a guy who said that his brakes are SH$$T. Seriously? And you keep driving it?
Finally, Police should really pay attention to those who text, plus if you cause a collision while using phone (text, call - whatever) you get ticketed. That is distracted driving.

See here:
Watch the Full Hour - America's New Deadly Obsession - Video - Oprah.com

and scroll to 32:00 where you see drivers behaviour when talking and driving.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This is a great idea!
It would be great of you could do the inner tail lights too, the ones on the trunk...
Not sure about the law regarding these in Ontario though

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
22,792 Posts
I have always been of the opinion that the innermost lenses would look great as additional brake lights. I'm just not that keen on the labor involved to do the conversion.

Hyundai went to the trouble in the design process to provide them. They should've followed thru by finishing what they started. Do they expect us members to do everything for them? I mean, seriously! ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have the flashing brake mod on my car for the spoiler light. But, in consideration of others, I DID add a switch (which is next to my knee, yes, I ran wires) so that when I feel like it, the 3rd brake will flash with exED's module. When I want, I can turn it off and the brake will act normal (steady on when brake pressed). Is it a hassle to keep flipping the switch? NO. Sometimes I like to be seen, sometimes it doesn't really matter in stop and go traffic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts