Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered that all 3 of the brake lamps had failed at once. I replaced the brake light switch with one I purchased online, but now only the 2 low level lights work and the upper one does not. There is no power to it. Do I have the wrong switch or is there another issue here? Thanks.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,969 Posts
It's unlikely to be a problem with the new switch.

It's more likely to be a broken wire in the loom between the car body and the tailgate. The loom gets flexed there everytime you open and close the tailgate and that can cause the wires to eventually break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. After reading another thread about problems with the wire loom in this area, it seems it could be the culprit as my rear defroster also does not work. It could be possible that the top level brake light was not working before the brake switch went bad, or it might just be a coincidence. If I was to attempt this repair, does anyone know how I might access these wires?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ive seen pictures and descriptions of how to do it on the forum somewhere have a sift through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I'd leave an update for anyone coming to this thread in the future with similar issues. I investigated the wire loom between the tailgate and body by popping out the rubber grommet and found a previous repair on the brake light wires. I then found another broken wire which was thicker, this was the rear defroster wire. I crimped the broken wires together and re-done the previous repair which wasn't looking too great and the problem is now resolved. It's fairly straight forward and doesn't require many tools.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,969 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to update the thread. Glad you managed to sort the problem.

Scott.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts