Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never replaced my brakes. my sonata is 2013. drives fine. I just don't know how much longer I can go without ever replacing them. I have 110k miles on it. Yeah yeah I know. I'm a good driver and never stomp on the pedal and I never burn my pads. I am a slow breaker. is 29.99 good for an inspection at dealershiP??? seems like a rip off. Again, I see my brakes are fine, just wanna make sure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So I have never replaced my brakes. my sonata is 2013. drives fine. I just don't know how much longer I can go without ever replacing them. I have 110k miles on it. Yeah yeah I know. I'm a good driver and never stomp on the pedal and I never burn my pads. I am a slow breaker. is 29.99 good for an inspection at dealershiP??? seems like a rip off. Again, I see my brakes are fine, just wanna make sure.
its a rip off.

you can typically look inside through the wheel spokes with a flashlight to see how thin/thick the pads are.

I usually have the tech tell me when I get my oil changes done at an independent shop since they already have the vehicle on the lift. Paying $30 to the dealership for them to only tell you doesn't make sense to me.

typically once the pad material wears too thin you'll hear squealing noises, a sign that its time to replace them. I would get them changed right around now considering your mileage. I also recommend changing the rotors too. I made the mistake of changing my front pads only and I started getting awful noises when braking later on. So I had to replace the pads + rotors again so that they wear together. OEM brake pads are about $70 on amazon. Rotors you can find on RockAuto. I did not buy OEM's, I spent I think $90 total on pads + rotors from RockAuto

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well, somebody needs to inspect the brakes with that mileage, or just bite the bullet and have them done. Having said that , look on google for free brake inspection and you'll come up with shops that afford that service free of charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I can find lots of free break inspection around my area. I called the dealership and told them about this, how much was a the inspection and she insisted its 29.99 when another dealership 60 miles away says its free. Most people dont believe I have never had them replaced. They make no noises and I see nothing wrong with them. I just wanted to do the oil change and inspection at the same time. Just to be safe?

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you can hear sqealing your pads are down to the metal and you have metal on metal with a better than evens chance of damage to your disks (rotors). You can inspect the thickness of the pad material yourself, for free, very easily although at that sort of age on a vehicle I would have changed mine a long time ago regardless.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The dealership near me does a multi-point inspection for free and that does include brakes and other important parts. They also do a complimentary wash.

Only thing they found wrong last time I went in (for oil change and tire rotation) was a dirty cabin filter, which I plan on replacing soon. They do have recommended services for mileage points, which I will consider but never rush into those kinds of expenses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. So, I had a rotation just to get the free brake inspection. They say it looks fine. it's on yellow. 5mm and 6mm on one side. What do you guys think? replace now or wait.

·
Registered
394 Posts
<2mm is the service recommendation so you have time. I found that replacing mine earlier though gave back a better brake pedal feel. I did my fronts at around 3mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts