Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 sonata GLS.
Getting occasional growl/grinding sound from front passenger brake when stopping. Happens in the last few seconds before complete stop. I expected to find worn out pads or debris/rust. Pads have half thickness, no debris or rust. Doesn't repeat when braking 2nd time. Might not happen for weeks or months then could happen 2 days in row.
It doesn't sound nor feel like anti-lock brakes. No pedal stutter, no reason for ABS to kick in as no water/oil/sand/gravel/ice on road.

Anyone else experience this?

Ideas what it is?

·
Registered
882 Posts
tighten the lug nuts at least 85 ft/lbs, spray some water on the rotor to see if it helps, check condition of guide pin and caliper piston

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
No mention of brake pads and rotor inspection?
No mention of brake caliper inspection?
Could be due to inside portion of rotor being rusty?
Bits and pieces breaking off every so often?
Could be time to replace pads and rotors?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New pads & rotors just under 2 yrs ago. No pitting of rotors. Pins lubed with caliper grease.

What would spraying water do? Noise doesn't happen twice when braking again.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Daily driver? How long does the car sit? OEM or aftermarket brakes? What brand? Where are you? Rear drums or discs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got this happen on my gls too. When I 1st bought it, it was good but a few month later I have the same issue. Bought 3 type of pads from $60 down to $20 and the cheap $20 did the job. But now I'm have the same type of issues again. Swap out one pad and went away and now it's back just after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Daily driver, Callahan pads & rotors. It's a 2011 so disc all around.

Hmmm...is there a ridge around the outside of the rotors?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't feel with fingernail on the flat of rotor. Just usual bit of rust on outer edge (not the flat of rotor).

Why would a ridge cause groan sound?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Were the shims put back on the pads? Almost feels like there is some looseness now between pads, clips or shims towards the end of braking as pads have worn down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Symptoms: Only first application and only sometimes? Everything else is fine?

Are you sure it is not the surface rust on the discs being rubbed off by the pads. I see this after leaving the car unused on damp/wet days or after washing and not using. Absolutely normal.

Leave too long though and the disc area under the pad corrodes more badly than the rest and creates a rough patch which causes vibrations. Probably due to a galvanic effect between the metals in the pad and the cast iron of the disc in the presence of water.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know that sound of surface rust, it's different. Rust sound goes away quickly. These rotors are shiny, no gouge or grooves. At first I thought maybe something got under the pads.

All hardware installed correctly. Antisqueal goo used. Guide pins lubed, no pitting.

I checked again yesterday, nothing looks out of norm. I'll change pads before it gets cold as pads at 1/3 to 1/4 of new thickness.

It almost sounds like a gear whirrrrrr. Or a mud flap scrapping on tire treads.

If this sound came from my 4×4 Blazer I'd think the front axles were engaged. The noise only happens just before coming to complete stop. Louder if it's a harder braking. Not much if very slow gentle deceleration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts