Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Elantra
I was going to perform the ole syphon out some brake fluid and refill the reservoir when I was unable to remove the filter basket at the entrance to the tank. Tried about everything to pry it out without luck.

Any tips on how to get the filter out without damaging it?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
armtdm
I just flushed the brakes on my 2011 Santa Fe, and instead of using a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the brake reservoir I used a battery acid filler. The battery acid filler has a smaller straw, and I was able to remove most of the fluid from the reservoir. I can't imagine the brake reservoirs are that different between the Santa Fe and the Elantra. I hope this helps.

Here's an example of the type of Battery Filler I'm referring to. You can find these at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
armtdm
I just flushed the brakes on my 2011 Santa Fe, and instead of using a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the brake reservoir I used a battery acid filler. The battery acid filler has a smaller straw, and I was able to remove most of the fluid from the reservoir. I can't imagine the brake reservoirs are that different between the Santa Fe and the Elantra. I hope this helps.

Here's an example of the type of Battery Filler I'm referring to. You can find these at most auto parts stores.

The OP and I are referring to the filter in the fluid reservoir which does not seem to be removable and prevents the use of any type of siphon device.

So the question remains - is the filter removable?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The filter is really fine mesh and nothing other than a sewing needle might get through it. I have yet to see one that cannot be removed but this one on the Elantra is a tough cookie, hate to beak it apart to take it out, sort of a useless little thing to start with but will see if anyone can offer some insight. Thought is might need a twist or turn to get out but that does not appear to work either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
G'day there "ARMTDM"
Yes the filter basket in the brake master cylinder on the Elantra certainly is a tough cookie so to speak. I had the same problem myself, and finished up leaving it alone.
I have checked the Workshop Manual for the Elantra XD now, and the illustrations show the basket as being removed from the reservoir, but I also found (like you and others on here) that it is near impossible to remove, without breaking it.

The manual does however state the following: "Use a syringe to remove brake fluid" This perhaps then is our answer I would guess, to put a needle through the mesh and to use the syringe to suck up the fluid.

I will leave this now for you to ponder on, before this problem turns us all into a "Basket Case" (Trying to remove it)...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Good news, it does come out! :grin2:

Quite easily with the right trick.

Now this is for my 2013 SFS but I suppose it is the same for other models.

Use 2 very small flat blade screwdrivers. Gently insert one between the filter body and the inside of the reservoir. It is pliable but be careful not to puncture the mesh. Then insert the other and work it around the edge - like you did when changing your bike tire. It will release.

Notice that there are 2 nipples on either side of the filter, that's what kept it from just popping out. CAREFULLY file off those nipple retainers so it will just drop in and easily remove from the reservoir. Be sure to CLEAN OFF the plastic filings. I used compressed air but you can also wash it and then COMPLETELY DRY IT. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Basket removal made easy!

Yes! You are correct there grandpaswagon! I have just tried your procedure, and Presto! It's off! I used the two jewellers screwdrivers pictured to remove it as described in grandpaswagon post.
Good work Grandpa and other gentlemen here! :surprise:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts