Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the brake fluid today as it's been two years since the car was new with original fluid. Fluid was dark amber which means it had absorbed moisture, and here in the humid South I have found I need to do this once per year on all my vehicles.

Tried other methods but using a Mityvac fluid extractor is the easiest and cleanest one man way to do it.

However, I could not figure out how to remove the reservoir filter screen from the fill neck, which meant I had to suck all the initial dirty fluid from the right rear wheel caliper, and not directly from the reservoir, so it took a long, long time.

If anyone has found a way to remove the filter screen it would help next time.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
They just set in there. Not a good idea to push (pressure bleed) or pull (vacuum bleed) without the reservoir being clean. If you get debris in the ABS module it'll bite you.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I've found it just evaporates if you leave it out. I usually pour it on the gravel.
Brake fluid shouldn't evaporate unless it's full of water. It should not be poured out on the dirt.

I would hazard you are not a tree hugging environmentalist.:laugh:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They just set in there.
Not quite. I can rotate it slightly and lift it also slightly but it is a tight fit off its resting position . As well there is very little clearance on the outside rim of the basket so only a very thin tool can get between the basket and the reservoir. I tried a pair of tweezers on the outside rim but the tight fit will not allow the basket to be removed before you loose grip.

My 95 Camry's filter basket is a loose fit but it needs to be rotated 1/4 turn to come out.

So if you've done it I'd like to know how.

Not a good idea to push (pressure bleed) or pull (vacuum bleed) without the reservoir being clean. If you get debris in the ABS module it'll bite you.
The "debris" as you put it is just moisture contamination, and that amber color will be throughout the entire brake fluid system - but it's not particles. If you can't push or pull then how have YOU gotten the fluid out?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you do with the old brake fluid?
I store it in a 5 gallon pail I use to store used oil. When full I take it to the recycle station. Brake fluid should not be "poured" on gravel or anywhere else.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just loosened bleeding hose from 1 caliper, press pedal 10 times, then refill reservoir before drying up. You have to do it from caliper since there is fluid in the caliper and line

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Brake fluid shouldn't evaporate unless it's full of water. It should not be poured out on the dirt.

The gravel is a foot thick driveway. Not on the dirt. Ad it does evaporate, glycol is the base product. Just like antifreeze, leave it out a day or two on the concrete and it disappears.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
The gravel is a foot thick driveway. Not on the dirt. Ad it does evaporate, glycol is the base product. Just like antifreeze, leave it out a day or two on the concrete and it disappears.
Glycol Ether is the standard. DOT 5 is silicone based.
From google search....The good news is brake fluid doesn't get dirty like oil, nor evaporate like coolant. But, depending on your climate, brake fluid can absorb moisture, which ends up lowering the boiling temperature.

It, as well as antifreeze, will break down and change properties. You ever notice the film that is left on the concrete after antifreeze or brake fluid spill? What is that stuff?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Not quite. I can rotate it slightly and lift it also slightly but it is a tight fit off its resting position . As well there is very little clearance on the outside rim of the basket so only a very thin tool can get between the basket and the reservoir. I tried a pair of tweezers on the outside rim but the tight fit will not allow the basket to be removed before you loose grip.

My 95 Camry's filter basket is a loose fit but it needs to be rotated 1/4 turn to come out.

So if you've done it I'd like to know how.

The "debris" as you put it is just moisture contamination, and that amber color will be throughout the entire brake fluid system - but it's not particles. If you can't push or pull then how have YOU gotten the fluid out?
I've encountered where the screen had particles probably from customer adding or bleeding themselves without being careful. We've seen some that the screen was missing and there was debris in the MC.

Sounds like you know what you are doing and shouldn't be a problem for you.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
I thought that brake fluid was a caustic substance
And read somewhere that it can be put in cat litter and disposed of in the trash
Doesn't make sense to me???

Throwing it into the drive way ... won't that eventually go into the environment?
And antifreeze is poisonous. It is supposedly sweet to the taste.
That is why dogs and cats will eat it up and then die.

I love cars and always want to the responsible thing.
When I do my own oil changes, I take the used oil to auto parts stores to dispose of it.
But, they don't take old antifreeze or brake fluid.
What to do?

Recycle station??

·
Registered
8,184 Posts

Glycol Ether is the standard. DOT 5 is silicone based.
From google search....The good news is brake fluid doesn't get dirty like oil, nor evaporate like coolant. But, depending on your climate, brake fluid can absorb moisture, which ends up lowering the boiling temperature.

It, as well as antifreeze, will break down and change properties. You ever notice the film that is left on the concrete after antifreeze or brake fluid spill? What is that stuff?
The sun will bleach it out. Even oil after a year or so. But it will evaporate when exposed to the elements. Or break down as you say.

I use to have a catch can that would dump when the engine was off. it would leave the yellow snot on the concrete but it was gone in a month or so.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I use to have a catch can that would dump when the engine was off. it would leave the yellow snot on the concrete but it was gone in a month or so.
You are hilarious......I mean that in a good way.....the yellow snot made me laugh so hard I had some come out of me...:grin2:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone has found a way to remove the filter screen it would help next time.
Went on Goggle and found a previous Hyundai-Forum discussion HERE

So this has been covered and it talks about a couple of nipples on the screen cage that prevent easy removal. I'll give it another try and report back.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still not able to remove the filter basket. Small screwdrivers do get under the basket rim but it will not pry easily. I'm afraid to use my needle nose pliers to just yank it since that may damage it.

A phone call to dealer says filter is not sold separately. I'll leave it for now.

What a stupid engineering idea.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Still not able to remove the filter basket. Small screwdrivers do get under the basket rim but it will not pry easily. I'm afraid to use my needle nose pliers to just yank it since that may damage it.

A phone call to dealer says filter is not sold separately. I'll leave it for now.

What a stupid engineering idea.

Did you happen to come across more information on removing the screen?I would like to change brake fluid this winter.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you happen to come across more information on removing the screen?I would like to change brake fluid this winter.
No more information. Next time I'm going to start with the brake closest to the reservoir in hopes it will drain the reservoir faster. I also found my hose connection at the bleed nipple was pulling some air, more than just through the nipple threads. I fashioned a better sealing connection from vacuum hose - that should speed it up. Using a Mity-Vac is still the best method if you have compressed air source, IMO.

Pulling directly from the reservoir is just time saving. If anyone can consult a dealer mechanic they may be able to help with a method to pull the screen safely.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I just hook them with seal pick and pull it out.. Pressure bleed,, run a front till 1 side of bottle low to port,, then run other front to finish off fluid in bottle

Add clean fluid, run a front to flush, run other front to flush

Follow with rears for rough 25 count, done

Tap fronts 1 more time and call it a day

1 - 20 of 22 Posts