Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

My wife and I bought a brand new i20 in September 2010. My wife was driving down a hill coming back from the school run when she had to brake in the normal way. The brake pedal was stuck and would not go down and she ended up hitting the car in front. Thankfully she was not going fast.

Hyundai have taken it to their garage and supposedly carried out their checks and say there is nothing wrong with the brakes or the ABS system and no faults recorded. I don't believe them and not sure they have checked everything.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be caused by an airlock which Hyundai have failed to detect?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

Avner

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (radomskya @ Dec 13 2010, 05:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379272
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

My wife and I bought a brand new i20 in September 2010. My wife was driving down a hill coming back from the school run when she had to brake in the normal way. The brake pedal was stuck and would not go down and she ended up hitting the car in front. Thankfully she was not going fast.

Hyundai have taken it to their garage and supposedly carried out their checks and say there is nothing wrong with the brakes or the ABS system and no faults recorded. I don't believe them and not sure they have checked everything.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be caused by an airlock which Hyundai have failed to detect?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

Avner
I there I dont want to comment as I dont know the full facts...but having a clumsy misses myself this sounds like a classic case of something rolling around in the footwell (can of hair spray, shoe e.t.c.) thats gone and wedged under the brake pedal hence the brake not depressing fully and no brakes......If its not this i apologise but 9.9 out of 10 times when you hear of this this is normally the cause..

If its not could be a whole range of other things but brake servo and master cylinder would be top of my list...Also if you could provide some more details about the incident it might help//Were the brakes ok straight away after this happened or did they stay failed for some time....Was there any vibration in the pedal previous or after the failure...also were the brakes hard to depress at anytime before this incident... HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your response.

There was nothing else on the floor in the driver's side, so we can rule out something being wedged under.

As far as I am aware, the brakes appeared to be working fine before and appeared to be working after as well. There were no vibrations either in the pedal.

She was driving down a hill (not steep) on her usual route home form the school run and was using the brakes on and off as normal. However, when she tried to press the brake pedal it moved down slightly, butwould not depress any further. She tired a few times, but the brakes did not engage at all and she ended u[p hitting the car in front.

My concern is that this could happen again and cause a fatal accident.

I'd be grateful if you could provide me with a full list of the potential problems so that I can get Hyundai (or someone else) to check them all out.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
QUOTE (radomskya @ Dec 15 2010, 06:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380017
Hi, thanks for your response.

There was nothing else on the floor in the driver's side, so we can rule out something being wedged under.

As far as I am aware, the brakes appeared to be working fine before and appeared to be working after as well. There were no vibrations either in the pedal.

She was driving down a hill (not steep) on her usual route home form the school run and was using the brakes on and off as normal. However, when she tried to press the brake pedal it moved down slightly, butwould not depress any further. She tired a few times, but the brakes did not engage at all and she ended u[p hitting the car in front.

My concern is that this could happen again and cause a fatal accident.

I'd be grateful if you could provide me with a full list of the potential problems so that I can get Hyundai (or someone else) to check them all out.

Many thanks.

I am extremely pleased to hear your wife was unheart in the accident, she was very lucky.
I can't begin to think what could have caused this, air in the brakes is more of a gradual feeling of sponginess in the pedal, I wouldn't have thought it was air,
unless it was a total air leak, but that surely would have let the fluid out and the pedal would have gone to the floor, with no resistance.
I would have an independant asessment done by a non Hyundai garage, I agree this could be a serious fault.
Good luck with it.
S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELLO, MY GIRLFRIEND HAS THE SAME PROBLEM I THINK SHE HAD PRESSED THE BRAKES AND THEY FELT VERY HEAVEY AND THE CAR WAS NOT BREAKING SHE TRIED THIS WHILE GOIGN DOWN OUR HILL OUTSIDE OUR HOUSE SHE MUST OF DONE IT 5 OR 6 TIMES B4 IT ACTUALLY DID BRAKE IT WAS MACKING AN EFFOT TO BRAKE BUT WASNT MUCH SLOWING DOWN HAPPENING UNTILL THE FIFTH TIME AT WHICH POINT SHE WAS SLAMMING THEM ON AND WHEN THEY DID WORK WE FELT IT AS YOU CAN IMAGINE. WE JUST PUT IT DOWN TO THE COLD WEATHER MAYBE A BIT OF FROZEN BRAKE FLUID WE THOURGHT. IT MIGHT STILL BE THAT BUT WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS AND STILL DONT DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOURS?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you a member of the RAC or AA ? Not for the breakdown cover given with the new car. In a perfect world if there was a problem the Hyundai dealer would tell you if they found a problem, unfortunately in todays compensation culture that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am from Kerala and my car too has got the same problem. Actually it happened when my brother was driving the car. I had approached the service centre and they told that everything is checked and there is no issue with the brakes. But again the problem appeared and i don't know what to do. I should also mention about the service quality of the service centre which is the worst I have seen. The name of service centre is SS hyundai, Mavelikara. Actually I am thinking of initiating legal proceedings against Hyundai for their negligence. You can also do the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi i work for a hyundai dealership
the dealership i work for have had a Hyundai I30 come in with a similar problem not so long back
the customer complained saying that their brakes did not work but the handbrake did, did your wife
try using the handbrake at all ?
when we had a look at the I30 we found no damaged vacuum pipes to the servo, nothing lodged in
any of the brakes as we had the brakes appart and checked, we also checked all the systems with
GDS (Hyundai diagnotsic machine :Global Diagnostic System) and our searching came up with nothing
the weather was rather cold on that day so the brake fluid could theoretically have been on the verge
of freezing which would give a feeling of lack of braking

when we done these checks the car went on road test and found no fault the customer has since taken
the car home and reporting no more incidents

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
connor, thanks for the response.

It seems that this is more common than perhaps we had orignally thought. Do you think it could be something to do with the brake servo? It was not a freezing day, so dont think brake fluid should be on verge of freezing, although even if it was, that sounds pretty dangerous to me and rather bug fault.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi
tbh i think it could possibly be the brake servo, i know of a problem or 2 with the i20 brake servos, this could just be a annomoly
the first time it happend and could be a very slowly developing problem but cannot pinpoint it, i would reccomend
to just keep an eye on the problem for now, if it occurs again i would take it back to the dealership and tell them it is
a returning problem and that you would like to possibly have a new brake servo fitted it is the only part that i could think of that would
affect all the brakes, the pedal would make it happen all the time and the fluid resovour is just to feed the servo, if it was a
individual brake caliper problem then you would have only a partial problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Even I had the same issue of Brake failure...
I own i20 Sports, Petrol 2010 model
Initially it happened to me when I was parking my vehicle in the garage, when I applied brake I felt it was so hard and the pedal was not moving, and I had to use the handbrake to stop the car. And I thought it might be my false feeling and I neglected but it happened to me again last week and I couldn't use the handbrake so I hit another vehicle infront of me.

What I noticed is it is not happening always, only very rarely... it happened with me only twise in last 6 months.
Also it is not happening when you are moving fast, what I felt was when i move slowly less than 20 KM/hr this brake failure happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me today with my i30!

I am an experienced driver and never had an accident, and today i hit the car in front of me (there was ample time to break, but yet I could not). luckily i was not driving fast, and I reacted quickly with the handbrake so I avoided damage, but it was still a crash...
The brake felt like it could not get a grip on something, and I felt strong vibrations on the brake... It was a disgusting feeling, will visit the service tommorow (the car is some 16 months old, serviced a few months ago... I looked down without moving my leg or anything, I was not catching the gas pedal with my foot, so this remains a mystery for me...

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Slobodani30 @ Feb 13 2011, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=401762
This happened to me today with my i30!

I am an experienced driver and never had an accident, and today i hit the car in front of me (there was ample time to break, but yet I could not). luckily i was not driving fast, and I reacted quickly with the handbrake so I avoided damage, but it was still a crash...
The brake felt like it could not get a grip on something, and I felt strong vibrations on the brake... It was a disgusting feeling, will visit the service tommorow (the car is some 16 months old, serviced a few months ago... I looked down without moving my leg or anything, I was not catching the gas pedal with my foot, so this remains a mystery for me...

Did you get anything fixed on your i30 ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonata Resistant Braking

I have a similar breaking problem occuring with my 2003 Sonata. The break pedal will intermittantly be more resistive than normal, won't depress all the way, and won't break as quickly as normal. I can still stop, but it takes a much longer distance than normal. I have also noticed it more when going down a modest hill, but it's inconsistent. I've also experienced the resistance that will sometimes just disappear mid breaking and I'll get my normal breaking back. I've also noticed a grinding noise when the breaks are resistant and I'm having to push extra hard to slow down or stop. It is not very cold or hot here right now, so it doesn't seem to be temperature related, but it is very intermittant. Unfortunately, none of the three places I've taken it to has been able to find anything or observe the problem during their test drives. My car has been with the Hyundai dealer for three days and I'm refusing to take it back until they fix it since I have a wrap around warranty, but they haven't been able to duplicate the problem and just want me to pick up my car without attempting any repairs. I'm afraid of having an accident like several of the other folks in this forum, but it's awfully inconvienent not having my car. Not sure what I should do.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have read similar stories on the i30 forum, seems a common problem across the range. It sounds to me like a problem in the ABS (anti lock brakes) or ESP (electronic stability programme) control logic, it seems nearly all the incidents are reported when the car is travelling down a slight slope and the brakes are applied. The fault then disappears immediately. How many of the troubled cars are fitted with ESP? I turn off the ESP in my i30 immediately on starting the engine as I don't like the sensations of the engine cutting out and the car feeling unbalanced when the ESP activates. I have asked the dealer to permanently turn it off but they refuse to, I may have to start pulling out fuses myself.
'When a safety feature is so annoying you turn it off, is it still a safety feature?'

·
Registered
17 Posts
This seems to be an issue with the braking system in i20. I have faced issues multiple times when the front tires don't get a good tracking and the EBD clearly fails and the car feels like there are just no brakes in it.. the rear brakes don't work at all. I have spoken to a few technicians.. and they claimed that most of i20 ABS accident cars claim the same. It seems like only 5% or so braking is applied to rear wheels even if the front wheels lose traction.. I'm no expert.. but is this how it is supposed to be?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

Even I had the same issue of Brake failure...
I own i20 Sports, Petrol 2010 model
Initially it happened to me when I was parking my vehicle in the garage, when I applied brake I felt it was so hard and the pedal was not moving, and I had to use the handbrake to stop the car. And I thought it might be my false feeling and I neglected but it happened to me again last week and I couldn't use the handbrake so I hit another vehicle infront of me.

What I noticed is it is not happening always, only very rarely... it happened with me only twise in last 6 months.
Also it is not happening when you are moving fast, what I felt was when i move slowly less than 20 KM/hr this brake failure happens.
What you describe is the kind of feeling you get when applying the foot brake with the engine not running - you push like **** and not much happens. Of course, this is something you would only do to let the car roll forward a few feet.

It seems like the servo is occasionally not working - why that would be I don't know, I'm not a Hyundai mechanic. It's a really dangerous situation, that's for sure. I've got an IX20 which is not too far removed from the I20 - you've got me worried!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i got the same issu today when i was comming home in my i20 asta crdi , my brakes got stuck and i ended up crashing in swift desire . my brake was working fine before and after that incident any my parents thought i m making them fool that brake got stuck as if engine if off .
as this is my first post please suggest what shoud i do now as my car is damaged and i will coat aroud rs 35k .

1 - 20 of 65 Posts