Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never come across this in the 5 years of owning a vehicle, but apparently my Sonata likes to collect brake dust on the front rims. Is it an issue with the brakes or just normal behavior? I bought some cleaner from the auto parts store last month but I've already had to clean it twice. To me that seems excessive but it's also foreign to me since I've never dealt with brake dust before, having older cars and not caring about their appearance as much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is most likely due to the type of break pads your car has. A little bit of break dust is normal, but cheaper break pads produce much more break dust than more expensive ceramic break pads.

Also if you use a tire shine, then overspray on the rims also acts as a magnet for break dust

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely don't use a tire shine and I'm not sure what the quality is of the brake pads, I didn't want to replace them too early though. I have heard ceramic pads are better and I'll probably spend the money on those when it comes time to replace them.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Wash your rims really well and put a coat of wax or two on them. Makes removing brake dust easy. Try not to use those rim cleaners as they clean the rims but remove almost any protection that would allow the dust to easily wash off.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I used Armorall Brake Dust Repellent and it worked great! Kept the brake dust off and made it so much easier to wash off.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
It is most likely due to the type of break pads your car has. A little bit of break dust is normal, but cheaper break pads produce much more break dust than more expensive ceramic break pads.
This. That is why I use ceramic pads.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I wash my car regularly and am just in the habit each wash to wipe the brake dust off. Comes off easy for me each time with just a wet towel. I have the PowerStop Z17 Evolution plus pads. They are much better than any I've used from Autozone (Duralast Gold or whatever they are). I'd imagine If I up to the next level pad (Z23 Evolution Sport) they claim "dust-free braking performance" and would eliminate the little dust I get accumulating every few weeks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wash your rims really well and put a coat of wax or two on them. Makes removing brake dust easy. Try not to use those rim cleaners as they clean the rims but remove almost any protection that would allow the dust to easily wash off.

I have not tried wax, that sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I have not tried wax, that sounds like a good idea.
We had the EBC Greens on her car. They were fantastic pads (I installed two sets) and really hauled the car down. The downsided was pretty bad dusting. Waxing made it a wipe off issue.

The reason ceramic pads seem better as the dust is lighter color in nature versus what you see in other compounds.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had the EBC Greens on her car. They were fantastic pads (I installed two sets) and really hauled the car down. The downsided was pretty bad dusting. Waxing made it a wipe off issue.

The reason ceramic pads seem better as the dust is lighter color in nature versus what you see in other compounds.
I've never purchased wax before. Is there a specific type of wax for this, or a specific brand you'd recommend?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I've never purchased wax before. Is there a specific type of wax for this, or a specific brand you'd recommend?
There are specific car rim waxes out there. But from what I have read (I have not used) their longevity isn't much more than what you put on your car paint.

I have tried boutique stuff but keep coming back to Meguiars stuff due to ease of getting and cost. Currently I use Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax as my LSP. I use a new applicator pad and when I am done with the paint I use it to put a coat or two on the rims before tossing in the trash. I have attached a pic. These rims have been recently washed and I have not put the coat of wax on yet. Just the previous coat is there. It was just a wipe off process to remove the dust.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are specific car rim waxes out there. But from what I have read (I have not used) their longevity isn't much more than what you put on your car paint.

I have tried boutique stuff but keep coming back to Meguiars stuff due to ease of getting and cost. Currently I use Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax as my LSP. I use a new applicator pad and when I am done with the paint I use it to put a coat or two on the rims before tossing in the trash. I have attached a pic. These rims have been recently washed and I have not put the coat of wax on yet. Just the previous coat is there. It was just a wipe off process to remove the dust.

View attachment 440866
I can give it a shot. I'm just unfamiliar with waxing and what the process is. I just rub it on the rims or something?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I can give it a shot. I'm just unfamiliar with waxing and what the process is. I just rub it on the rims or something?
Make sure your rims are very clean and cool. Megs Ult Liq Wax is easy to apply and remove. Go to your favorite store... Get a 2 pack of microfiber applicator pads... Should be about 3 to 4 bucks.

Make sure you have coverage but dont blob it on. You cant ruin anything if you get to much on. Just will be sloppier to remover and take long to haze.

Let it haze/dry for about 15 minutes and then wile of. Should be smooth to wipe off. Since thes are rims a clean cotton towel/rag will be fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Clean all wheels and tires with wheel cleaner. Rinse thoroughly. Dry with towel for best results or let them air dry if you decide to detail the rest of the car first. Apply wax (whether liquid or hard paste) using an applicator pad or microfiber towel one wheel at a time to all 4 wheels. Do not buff off yet. After you complete the 4th wheel, go back to the 1st wheel and now buff off the wax to get a glossy finish and ensure the wax has enough time to cure. Then, apply your preferred tire shine if desired.

Tips: Make sure you don't get any wax on the brake pad or rotor face as it may reduce braking efficiency. Make sure your wheels are clean of any road tar, grime, brake dust, etc. to get the best results possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts