Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The piston boot on the right rear brake caliper was torn and i was slowly losing brake fluid, so i figured I'd try just replacing the seals before i dropped the extra cash on a new/rebuilt caliper ****'y. Only problem is I can't get the piston out of the caliper. I've replaced the pads before, so I know to get the piston in, you have to turn it, but i can't find any information on how to get the piston out.

I tried compressed air in the inlet, but it wouldn't pop out. I tried turning it, but no luck.

Do i need to somehow pull and turn? somehow?

Do i need to push and turn? (turning opposite direction as it takes to push the piston it)

???

Thanx.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Reconnect it to the brake line, use the hydraulic pressure of the brake system to push the piston out.

Can only tell you that you need to rotate piston to install and some pressure on piston face to push piston into bore,, I have a Snap-On tool for that job.

I have not had any apart, we simply replace with new Hyundai part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. i'll try that. i've never done this before, but everything i've read says to blow the piston out with an air compressor. luckily i have another car to drive while i'm working on this one. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The "dust seals" keep out dust / dirt.. not keeping fluid in. If you have fluid in the dust shields, then fluid is getting past the main seal. You may find your inside bore is rusting.
Unusual for brake seals to go unless you have 100K or more from just wear and tear.
Rebuilds are usually cheap when you give them the old part. Always use new copper washer on brake hose connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts