Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
3,859 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts

What I use. Had a can for about 10 years now, it was $5 when I got it. Use it on spark plug boots and caliper pins, works very well.
If you are looking for a silicone based lubricant you can simply use silicone brake fluid applied with a small paint brush. The small paint brush I am thinking of is one that you might use for water painting like children might use. When I owned antique Studebakers I used silicone brake fluid and silicone grease when rebuilding the brake cylinders and disc brake calipers. Granted, I didn't put thousands of miles on them but I did do a rebuild on a set of rear wheel cyclinders and checked the front calipers after 5 years and found no rust or gunk in the brake fluid or in the master cylinder. The master cylinder was vented directly to the atmosphere; no rubber diaphram between the fluid and the atmosphere like newer car have. I used the silicone grease, also known as stopcock grease (find in scientific equipment catalogue), to coat the inside of wheel cylinders and caliper cylinder bores, piston surfaces, and the entirely of the seals and any rubber boots. Silicone grease is also used to lubricate valves used in drinking water service. It is water proof, so if you use it in combination with rubber and metals in a brake system it will keep the water out of the cylinders and out of any metal to rubber contact surfaces. The only problem with a silicone fluid filled brake system is making sure that you do not get air in the fluid. If you do it is very difficult to get out; requires much more bleeding than regular brake fluids. But if you can put it into a system with all new parts including the pipes, you will be very pleased with the longevity of the system. The pipes will likely corrode on the outside long before the system corrodes internally. Here is a link to one type. Corning-DC-HI-VAC-5-3OZ-Silicone-Based-Vacuum-Grease (look on Amazon wit this search term).

21 - 22 of 22 Posts