Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do a service on my brakes soon but I'm confused about all the synthetic grease products out there for the slider pins. I was looking into the Permatex brands but theres lots of people saying it swells the rubber of the pins. I know of the 3M silicone paste that sounds like it's probably the best but it's expensive. Are there any alternatives to use or should I just get the 3M silicone paste?

Also is it a bad idea to only change the rear rotors and not the fronts? My front rotors honestly dont look that bad but the rears look like they have some grooves in them. Im just wondering if I should bite the bullet and do it all at once or just do the rears for now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am not sure about the brake grease with the slider pin. This is just my opinion. I think any brake grease with do, and it doesn't require any special one. I mean as long as it's brake grease then I wouldn't worry.

I don't think it's a bad idea to change out the rear rotors. Did you measure the thickness of the rotor? Often time, you shouldn't need to change out the brake rotor since it's not taking as much beating as the front rotors. Is it making noise when you are going in reverse?

This is just my 2 cent, and I am not a professional.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure about the brake grease with the slider pin. This is just my opinion. I think any brake grease with do, and it doesn't require any special one. I mean as long as it's brake grease then I wouldn't worry.

I don't think it's a bad idea to change out the rear rotors. Did you measure the thickness of the rotor? Often time, you shouldn't need to change out the brake rotor since it's not taking as much beating as the front rotors. Is it making noise when you are going in reverse?

No my brakes work pretty well for the most part. I think I have to push the pedal a little more than I used to but no noise or anything from them (There is a noise I've had for a while but mechanic told me two of my tires are slightly out of round which is what is causing the noise, I will deal with this when my tires are worn out). But ya braking doesn't seem to be too bad, but I haven't serviced the brakes since I bought the car which was at 80,000K and it's at 101,000 now. I just think I should at least service the pins and re lube everything, just to be sure. And I hear lots of people say to not use grease on caliper pins as it will affect the rubber and make it swell until it seizes the caliper, potentially destroying it, the pads and the rotor. It needs to be a silicone synthetic compound that is weather resistant and high heat resitant.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have two 2009 Sonatas , both had a rear caliper siezed up. I think I found the problem, the seals in the caliper expand too much after time causing the piston to get stuck in the caliper.
Get a new seal kit and replace all the seals.
Since I have done that, all the brake calipers have no more problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi there.

I do a brake service every oil change due to living in the rust belt. :) I use brake grease, but it is also known as silicone dielectric grease. The issue with any petroleum-based grease is that it can cause any rubber components that it comes into contact with to swell. All of the brake grease that I have used is silicone based.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
This is what we use at shop.. wipe old lube off pin, and apply new lube, stick it in, and move it back-forth to distribute lube

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Hi there.

I do a brake service every oil change due to living in the rust belt. :) I use brake grease, but it is also known as silicone dielectric grease. The issue with any petroleum-based grease is that it can cause any rubber components that it comes into contact with to swell. All of the brake grease that I have used is silicone based.

Thanks.

What I use. Had a can for about 10 years now, it was $5 when I got it. Use it on spark plug boots and caliper pins, works very well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Okay I shouldn't say that as a blanket statement but:

Your old rotors could be warped, have grooves in the surface (even very fine grooves will wear into pads and possibly cause noise), they could have hot spots in them, they could be glazed.

Basically, brake pads are much harder on rotors than they used to be, so the rotors take a beating. Old parts transfer their defects to new parts. That's why you want to replace them when you put on new pads.

If you do a good visual inspection of your rotors and had no braking issues before aside from worn pads, you can probably get by with an OK brake job.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have two 2009 Sonatas , both had a rear caliper siezed up. I think I found the problem, the seals in the caliper expand too much after time causing the piston to get stuck in the caliper.
Get a new seal kit and replace all the seals.
Since I have done that, all the brake calipers have no more problems.
I had to replace one of the rear calipers (driver side) recently because of the seizing issue. The other one is ok as far as I know. Could you please post a link to a seal kit comparable to the one you used? Like you, I have a '09 Sonata. I'm at 75K miles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I went to the dealer and order the rear brake caliper service kit. It come with the inner caliper seals and piston dust covers and I think with the sliderpin dust cover seals too. Just go to dealer and ask them. To install the piston dust cover is a bit tricky but can be done.
I will try and find the old paper work for part numbers if you will.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Sorry, any general purpose grease should not be used for brake servicing, because any mineral grease / oil will contaminate the brake rubber part and swell; resulting brake failure or jam.

It is recommended to use red rubber grease like TVS-Girling or Castrol red rubber grease.. Before applying grease thoroughly clean the hardware parts in brake fluid.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I use copper antiseize on my slider pins. No problems with seizing or swelling. Rotors should be replaced when they are worn thin. They seldom warp, that is more than likely pad deposits from cheap brake pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Normally pad and Rotor life depends on the driving habit and friction material quality, added to that sluggish return of.pads due to pin grease and rough finish or rust on the pad sliding area.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The biggest problem with rotors these days is DTV where the thickness varies and it's an absolute minuscule amount that causes the brake pedal to start bouncing. My lovely wife seems to be able to achieve it every 20,000kms so she keeps me on my toes replacing and machining the front rotors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts