Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this all started after I had the engine replacement for my 2013 2.0 turbo. Unfortunately that happened while I was traveling so can't take it back to that dealer. My local guy when this first started and I didn't have the details below could not duplicate and found no codes so shrugged their shoulders. Here is what I have discovered

1. After crusing for some time and it seems not having used the brakes for sometime, the brake waring light, not ABS light, will come on on the dash.

2. When this light is on and when the engine gets under a heavier load the brake pedal loses boost.

3. As soon as the load is taken off the brake boost returns to normal although the brake warning light remains on. When on cruise I have to force the brake pedal enough to turn off the crusie control and then load is taken off the engine and boost returns.

4. This is most noticable when under cruise control and the engine is under a heavier load as in going up a hill or attempting to resume my cruise speed after slowing and I try to brake. Once I push past the brake switch to disengage the cruise control trying to accelerate and load is taken off the engine I regain brake boost.

5. If I am not on cruise control by the time I take my right foot off the accelerator and over to the brake enough load has been taken off that brake boost behaves normally.

6. If I "two foot" and give it gas to accelerate while at the same time pressing on the brake pedal there is no boost but as soon as I take foot off the gas boost returns.

7. If I stop the car, turn off the engine and then start back up the brake warning light does not come back on and brakes operate normally until the next extended cruise period and the light comes back on.

8. Have never noticed this on short drives around town.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Took list back to dealer. Their tech did a deeper inspection and said that when my engine was replaced they also replace part of vacuum line with a substandard rubber hose and not as stuedy as the OEM and that it was collapsing and that damaged the vacuum pump and both needed replacement to the tune of $800+. They didn't have the pump but had ordered. So as soon as I left the dealer I'm thinking how come the brakes work just fine EXCEPT after a long cruise period and I get the light? So went back when jump came in told them to just replace the brake line, it's an assembly of course, for $200. Did a long trip last week and no brake light no loss of boost.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good thinking to just replace the line and not the vacuum as well. How would they know the vacuum was damaged by the collapsed line without testing it with a new line? I would think that if the damage was caused by workmanship/parts during a warranty replacement, the cost should go back to the dealer with the shoddy work.

Reactions: joegr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two months and has no recurred so definitely just the line not the pump. Unfortunately I think the dealer was just trying to get an upcharge by suggesting the pump be replaced skipping the troubleshooting step of just replacing the line first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.