Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am new to the forum but have been searching around for possible causes of the below and was unable to find out very much.

I have a 2010 Hyundai IX35/Tucson LM 2.0 CRDI manual with 96k miles on the clock.

Yesterday I was driving home from work when I noticed that the car was jerking ever so slightly every time I changed gear. After further inspection I realised that everytime I took my foot off of the accelerator the rev counter would suddenly drop very slightly (approx 100 RPM), and then bounce back up again, before then smoothly dropping as it should.

For example if I took my foot off the gas at 2,500 rpm the needle on the guage would quickly drop to 2,400 and then jump back up to 2,500 rpm before decreasing slowly.

This continued to happen for most of the 20 mile journey home, however every once in a while it would stop happening for a few minutes. When I got home I tried accelerating and deccelerating when the car was in neautral and there was no problems at all.

This morning on the way to work the problem was still ocurring. After about 15 miles of driving the DBC light came on the dash and was illuminated in red. This remained on until I got to work. I then restarted the engine and the light was not illuminated. I took it for a 3 mile drive and the light remained off. No other lights ever illuminated with the DBC light.

I have read various posts on this forum about the brake light switch causing the DBC light and others to illuminate, but on my car it's just the DBC light. So I'm not sure whether the issue is related to the bouncing revs, or is a coincidence. I have owned the car since April this year when it had 81k miles on the clock and have had absolutely no problems so far. I've ordered a fault code reader which should arrive tomorrow, but my main worry is that I could be damaging the car further by still driving it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,295 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum 00000732

DBC is part of the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) within the ABS module. ESP has the ability to control the engine throttle (more accurately, the engine torque since a diesel doesn't have a throttle), so it's likely that the bouncing engine speed and the DBC warning light are being caused by the same fault. You'd really need to have the ABS module scanned for trouble codes to get a clue about what the fault might be. You'll need to visit a garage that has a decent diagnostic scan tool to have that done though. A generic OBD scan tool wont be able to communicate with the ABS module.

Regards.
Scott.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the welcome and the prompt reply. I've booked it in for Saturday at Hyundai who will charge £48 for the diagnostics, then I can see where I want to go from there.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the lack of update, things have been a bit busy over the Christmas period.

The issue is now resolved, it turned out to be a faulty clutch switch. The total cost from Hyundai was £174.98 including labour and the aforementioned diagnostics.

For anyone who may have the same issue in the future, here are the problems that we noticed prior to having the switch replaced:

1. Bouncing revs (as described in my first post)
2. Red illuminated Downhill Brake Control light
3. Cruise Control not working
4. Hill Start Assist not working
5. Gear Change Indicator not working

Thanks again to Scott for his help previously.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,295 Posts
jeeebus said:
Thanks again to Scott for his help previously.
Your welcome, and thanks for taking the time to post back and confirm the fix. I'm sure that will help the next person who experiences the same symptoms.

Scottie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

A question, it looks like i have the same issue.
The problem was fixed by replacing the clutch switch.
But if it is the clutch switch shouldn't then be there also an issue with starting the engine?
Because i have all the issues mentioned, but i don't have a problem starting the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.
I was very excited to find this thread because I have exactly these problems, namely:

2. Red illuminated Downhill Brake Control light
3. Cruise Control not working
5. Gear Change Indicator not working

I sourced and changed my clutch switch and unfortunately nothing has changed.
I just want to confirm, please, are you referring to the switch behind the clutch pedal (ie not some switch within the gearbox/clutch)? If it is that switch that you are referring to, you wouldn't happen to have any further ideas would you, please?

Must say, I had the same question as 754793-arzeg0.htm - was wondering why the car was starting fine. Arzeg0 - did you have any luck resolving your problem?

Thanks all

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

A question, it looks like i have the same issue.
The problem was fixed by replacing the clutch switch.
But if it is the clutch switch shouldn't then be there also an issue with starting the engine?
Because i have all the issues mentioned, but i don't have a problem starting the engine.
Hi Arzeg0. Did you manage to sort out your problem, please? With the clutch switch?? As in the switch behind the clutch pedal? (I have a made a more detailed posting yesterday.) Many thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly these problems. The switch of the clutch pedal is 2. The one up is my problem. Its cost 13€. Everything is ok!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have Hyundai ix35 2.0 CRDi 4WD 100KW, 2011, 180tkm, manual gear, 4x4.

Same problems:
1. Red DBC light
2. Cruse mode not working
3. Gear Change Indicator not working

I bought and replace by myself switch on pedal clutch but problem persist.

Not sure what is wrong.

Do i need OBD diagnostic tool to clean errors and then expect to work? Or should have worked immediately after i replaced switch? Or is something else?

Thanks for help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have Hyundai ix35 2.0 CRDi 4WD 100KW, 2011, 180tkm, manual gear, 4x4.

Same problems:
1. Red DBC light
2. Cruse mode not working
3. Gear Change Indicator not working

I bought and replace by myself switch on pedal clutch but problem persist.

Not sure what is wrong.

Do i need OBD diagnostic tool to clean errors and then expect to work? Or should have worked immediately after i replaced switch? Or is something else?

Thanks for help
Hi,
Have you sorted this out?
My DBC light was red, removed the "upper" clutch sensor.
The spring was broken, I aligned it (while I buy a new one) and it should work fine.
But red DBC light is still shining.
I'm also wondering if I have to clear the error code somehow or it should disappear automatically.

What was your experience?

Cheers
Roland

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Have you sorted this out?
My DBC light was red, removed the "upper" clutch sensor.
The spring was broken, I aligned it (while I buy a new one) and it should work fine.
But red DBC light is still shining.
I'm also wondering if I have to clear the error code somehow or it should disappear automatically.

What was your experience?

Cheers
Roland
Hi,

I didn't sorted it yet, DBC light is still on, my cruise control and DBC doesn't work, not sure if its because of clutch switch or something else.

I will try to change the second one too without removing error codes. If that doesn't work i will try to remove codes with some stronger OBD2 device.

Meanwhile if you manage to fix problem please post it.

Best regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I didn't sorted it yet, DBC light is still on, my cruise control and DBC doesn't work, not sure if its because of clutch switch or something else.

I will try to change the second one too without removing error codes. If that doesn't work i will try to remove codes with some stronger OBD2 device.

Meanwhile if you manage to fix problem please post it.

Best regards

Hey,

I have an update.
When I reinstalled the switch, I still saw the red light. But after a short drive and a restart, the DBC red light disappeared automatically.
I hope I will not see that red light again.
But I could activate the DBC.

Since I'm using a broken switch, now I'm going to order a new one.
The cheapest price can be found here: Welcome sparekorea.com

I will order each kind of clutch switches , just to have them in case :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey,

I have an update.
When I reinstalled the switch, I still saw the red light. But after a short drive and a restart, the DBC red light disappeared automatically.
I hope I will not see that red light again.
But I could activate the DBC.

Since I'm using a broken switch, now I'm going to order a new one.
The cheapest price can be found here: Welcome sparekorea.com

I will order each kind of clutch switches , just to have them in case :)
That's great,

thanks for the info, i will order it too.

But after a short drive and a restart
What do you mean by restart?

For future reference in upper web shop i think this is the parts number(correct me if im wrong):

SWITCH ASSY - IGNITION LOCK 938403K000
SWITCH ASSY - IGNITION LOCK 938402E000

·
Registered
4 Posts
I meant that after the repair I started the engine, and the DBC red light was on. Then I was driving to a store. When i finished there and restarted the engine, the red light was not on.

Yes , you are right regarding to the part number.

Btw, I attach some pictures of my switch sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I meant that after the repair I started the engine, and the DBC red light was on. Then I was driving to a store. When i finished there and restarted the engine, the red light was not on.

Yes , you are right regarding to the part number.

Btw, I attach some pictures of my switch sensor.

On the first three picture it can be seen that the spring doesn't adjust the small bar.
On the last one you can see how it should work.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts