Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become aware that this is a big issue. I bought from a dealer who bought it from an auction. No way to get history.. It has 100k mileage on it.
I was curious if there is a way to get a look at the timing belt, maybe through the serpentine tensioner mounting or something? I have a small cam that I use to view internal places so maybe I could get a look.

But would I be able to determine by looking at it?

Just a thought, before I have to pay to get the whole thing done..

thanks for any advice on it..

Mack

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I have become aware that this is a big issue. I bought from a dealer who bought it from an auction. No way to get history.. It has 100k mileage on it.
I was curious if there is a way to get a look at the timing belt, maybe through the serpentine tensioner mounting or something? I have a small cam that I use to view internal places so maybe I could get a look.

But would I be able to determine by looking at it?

Just a thought, before I have to pay to get the whole thing done..

thanks for any advice on it..

"You could take a look at the top of the engine cover and see if there is a tag on top with mileage. When they did mine, they put a tag there with the mileage."

·
Registered
162 Posts
I believe that any dealership can use your VIN to find out what services were performed on you SF. Granted that this would only apply to dealership services. Another idea would be to pull the top cover and see if you are running an OEM Hyundai belt. Like John mentioned there may even be a sticker on the top cover or anywhere in the engine compartment that may indicate "Timing Belt" and mileage. Carfax may also list the services.

Hyundai has done "courtesy 27 point safety inspections" on two SFs that I bought used. I did the TB service on my 2006 at 67,000 and really the belt showed no signs of wear. At 100K miles I'd say do it unless you can prove that it had been done in the not too distant past. Shop around to see which mechanic will give you the best deal on labor. You can buy a TB kit that contains everything including the water pump. I used discountedhyundai parts.com for one and then soelfulracing.com for the other.

Be Safe, Mark V.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like the other guys have said start by looking in the engine compartment for stickers indicating service. If nothing shows up there pull the top plastic engine cover and look there as well. If nothing shows up there try calling the dealer and see if there are any service records associated with your VIN number.

The below advice is applicable to the 2.7 V6 engine.
You can remove the top half of the timing cover and take a look at the belt. I'm 99% sure that you will need to remove the serpentine belt and the power steering pulley for this at a minimum. It may require removing some other components as well but I can't remember for sure. Once the top half of the cover is off you can see a good bit of the belt and inspect it up close that way.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Like the other guys have said start by looking in the engine compartment for stickers indicating service. If nothing shows up there pull the top plastic engine cover and look there as well. If nothing shows up there try calling the dealer and see if there are any service records associated with your VIN number.

The below advice is applicable to the 2.7 V6 engine.
You can remove the top half of the timing cover and take a look at the belt. I'm 99% sure that you will need to remove the serpentine belt and the power steering pulley for this at a minimum. It may require removing some other components as well but I can't remember for sure. Once the top half of the cover is off you can see a good bit of the belt and inspect it up close that way.
I'm not sure looking at the belt will be useful. When I have had belts changed in the past(most around 90k miles), I had the mechanic keep the timing belt for me, and all of them have looked brand new- I could see no wear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you for some good advice.. I'll take a look as soon as I can for any evidence you have suggested..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts