Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was a long process but I finally got the Harbor gray SE with Nav/moonroof last night. These cars are getting so popular that they are getting hard to find and dealerships are getting more dificult to work with, if you want them to come down on the prices.

I went through zag.com to get the vehicle because it was showing me the cheapest quotes but I ran into problems, which zag quickly dealt with.
Zag was quoting me 1,000 below invoice, which i got very excited about but it turns out the dealerships who were now getting a lot of customers willing to pay top dollar, where not to excited. I went to one dealership in Glendale with my guarenteed low price sheet in hand. I had made an appointment earlier to see him at 7pm and he confirmed the price. I get there and AJ is missing and no one can find him and ends up not even showing up. So another guy helps us and looks at the zag sheet and says that there is no way they can meet that price because they are selling like hotcakes. I told him that the dealership is contractually bound to honor the price, I was quoting from the zag.com website. He starts talking crap about zag how they made a mistake and so on. Turns out they didn't budge at all and i ended up driving 1.5 hours for nothing...headed back home for another 1.5 hours disappointed. I call zag in the morning about what happened and the guy is pretty upset about it but that he needs to confirm it. He told me that all the dealerships have a non-negotiable contract to honor the prices they have agreed with zag.com, so he called them to see whats up. He calls me back and tells me that they were being dishonest and difficult, so he said he will have them cut off from the program. Glendale dealership can no longer participate in the USAA, OVERSTOCK, CAPITAL ONE, AMERICAN EXPRESS car buying programs. I went online and checked and they no longer come up when i search in my area.

So, I did the search again and picked a different dealer, BUT the same thing happened. They said no way because they are selling at higher prices. Needless to say, ZAG ends up cutting off another dealership. Man, these cars are selling so good that dealerships would rather burn bridges with zag, usaa,..etc rather than sell them at the agreed low price to the members. Really sad that they start acting like honda or toyota dealerships.

I was pretty exhausted by now and was ready to give up, but i told myself i would try one more time through zag. This time it gave me a dealership in GLendora and they just happen to have the car we want. This time though I changed tactics. I still came with the zag.com print out but this time I told him the story about what happened to the other dealerships and really conveyed how disappointed I was. The print out said 500 under invoice and he said with a sigh, "This is a mistake". It was the same lines the other dealers said...he continued on, "it shouldnt be 500 under invoice, but you know what, this is what it says so ill just eat the loss". I breathed a sigh of relief and well to make a long story shorter, we ended up with the car at the price I wanted and very close to the price i wanted for the trade in! This was a very professional dealership compared to the other and I let him know it. So if anyone is in the area, they should try glendora hyundai in souther california. The price for the SE with nav/moonroof was 24,300. I believe if i would had bought it 2 weeks ago i would had gotten an additional 500 below invoice, making it 1000 below like some did here, but things have changed quickly and i recommended anyone wanted to buy one now and take advantage of the manufacturer to dealer incentive to do it as soon as possible

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would have said 'OK' to that dealer and just gone back and ordered from Cars Direct. Zagg has great deals, and i hope to use them soon, but with Cars Direct you actually purchase the car from them, not a shady dealer who can refuse. The car is delivered to the dealer who HAS to prep the car for you. The deal you get is that much sweeter when the a-hole dealer that wouldn't bend has to prep and wash your car for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used zag to obtain a great price thru the USAA car buying service on a 2011 Sonata SE, no complaints on purchase price. Unfortunately, the dealer made a number of mistakes including quoting the wrong money factor and residual for model desired, and has now called and asked if I can return to the dealership to re-sign paperwork. Explanation for that is the tax line item wasn't properly designated in the lease agreement. I didn't notice it prior and haven't looked yet, but there are an awful lot of clerical errors associated with this transaction IMHO. And you know who's pocket most of it came from. I also want to purchase a 2010 Santa Fe Ltd and the same dealership is less than enthusiastic about putting any effort locating my preferred vehicle. After going in with the numbers and having them take a look at a possible trade, they told me they would actively search and keep me informed. A few days passed and I called them. Nothing located they said and I again asked the salesman to keep in touch every few days, as SantaFe incentives and my current registration both expire in a week or two. A few more days go by with no contact so I stopped in. After finding the salesman chatting in the lot with another salesman, he tells me that "for the price you want to pay we're not actively searching. If it comes in on a truck, I'll give you a call." Needless to say, after wasting a week of my time I wanted to run the guy over on the way out. So I put the info into CarsDirect only to find the SAME dealer received that lead. Will be very interesting to see that quote. Needless to say, if they choose to participate in these programs, it may be true to say they are contractually obligated to honor the price but put little to no effort in locating a vehicle. And yes, I did tell them I would be ok with an additional charge if they had to dealer trade and pay a driver to get it. In any event, if I receive the same tepid response, I will most assuredly advise both zag and carsdirect of my experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ Apr 17 2010, 08:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314102
I would have said 'OK' to that dealer and just gone back and ordered from Cars Direct. Zagg has great deals, and i hope to use them soon, but with Cars Direct you actually purchase the car from them, not a shady dealer who can refuse. The car is delivered to the dealer who HAS to prep the car for you. The deal you get is that much sweeter when the a-hole dealer that wouldn't bend has to prep and wash your car for you. :thumbsup:
lol. true, but unfortunately carsdirect had the car 1200 more than the first quote i received from zag and 700 more from the second quote i received from zag. Fortunately, I was able to get the second quote. If not, I would had gone with carsdirect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts