Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unfortunately, it was not the Hyundai Sonata. I was about 60 seconds away from buying one. What it came down to is my local Hyundai dealer not matching the quoted price of a dealer 100 miles away (They were $2000 more) and the deal I got on the Ford Fusion that I purchased. I am not a Fanboy and I will not come anywhere close to saying the Sonata sucked. It was a vehicle I was going to purchase. I know what you guys love about the car.

Here is a break down of what happened on Saturday (kinda long).
1. Went to the local Hyundai dealer at 9AM when they were supposed to open. They opened at 9:15. Then it took 10 minutes for one of the 8 sales guys to come up to me while I was out looking at the car. They had very few choices. They had 1 black, 1 white, an ***load of silver, 2-3 blue, a couple harbor grey metallic. I only liked the Harbor Gray. Test drove it, looked it over, checked all the little issues that I gathered from here.

Went back, dealt with sales guy, sales manger, had my Carmax quote. They first offered me $2000 less on my trade in than Carmax's quoted price. After 10 minutes of arguing that I would leave, they agreed. Then, They said they would only sell it to me at the sticker. I showed them my quoted price from the other dealer a 100 miles away. Their comment: "Why did you come here then?"

So, I left.

2. I look at the Malibu, Accord, Camry. None of them could compare to the Sonata. I did look at and liked the Fusion on Friday night because a very reputible dealer is 2 miles from my house. I had X-Plan pricing so there was no price negotiation. They low-balled on the trade by $2000 below Carmax's price. I told them if I leave, I won't be back. They let me go.

3. I stop by a very poor Ford dealer in the past. This experience was very different. Again, no negotiation because price is set. The salesman got the sales manager over and he asked what it would take to get me in the car. I told him trade-in equal to the Carmax quote. He said he would beat it by $250 without even looking at it. All was going good, then the Sonata dealer 100 miles away calls. I told the Ford sales guys that I had to see what Hyundai was offering. With them there, the Hyundai dealer offered $250 over Carmax as well, $500 below invoice (their normal business), no doc fees, and they would have it prepped before I got there and they could do all the prelim finance on my way down. I had my phone on speaker so they could listen in. Not nice to either, but I was buying a car and I want my money.

Well, I told the Hyundai dealer I will call him back in 5 minutes. The Ford sales manager is eager to move now. I told him he has 5 minutes to watch me walk out the door. I turned my countdown timer on to 5 minutes and let it run. The sales manager got edgy. He gave me the following with just over a minute:

7-year/100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. This includes all consumable parts (brakes, hoses, wipers, bulbs) except tires.
6-year/60,0000 maintenance
Gap Insurance (I didn't need it, but they threw it in because it covers my deductible up to $1000). I can change deductible to $1000 on it now to save some insurance money.
Threw in the Appearance Package.

Do I regret my purchase? No
Do I think the Sonata is bad? Not one bit.
Would I have regretted the Sonata? Only as long as it didn't have many defects
Do I like the Fusion more than the Sonata? I thought they were extremely close. There was no one selling point of one over the other. It simply came down to the best deal.

Enjoy your Sonatas. I will be poking around here watching how much you all love your cars. Do not flame me because I went another route.

·
1,914 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! At the dealership I work at, we have ford and I drive fusions all the time. They are great sellers.

I'm assuming coming from the caddy, you bought an SEL? Did you get the V6? Did you consider the sport model with the 3.5? Ford has a lot of nice colors too, I like the Sterling gray, white suede, and sport blue.

Back in 01 my mom had a Focus. That car had 17 recalls and left us stranded a few times. Up until 07, I would never recommened a Ford, but they have come a long way. Service tells me the Edge's and Fusions have been extremely reliable since their debut.

Congrats again! Would love to see pics

·
Registered
652 Posts
Congrats on the Fusion. I tried to buy one a few years back but couldn't work out the financing.

They are nice cars, but I don't feel that their interior looks match up with the Sonata at the premium level. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the SEL 301A package with the Appearance Package (body colored grill, premium audio, 18" wheels). It has Sync and all options. I never got to look at a Limited. The local dealership has about 100 GLSs and about 12 SE. I have the stitched leather interior on the Fusion. To me, the seating was more comfortable to my big butt. I stll did not like the cloth/leather combo on the SE. I would have had to get a custom leather install on it. I cannot speak for the Limited though.

The color is Tuxedo Black Metallic with black leather interior. The color is more black than the Harbor Grey Metallic and a little lighter than the black. I got the I4 instead of the Sport for MPG. Also, I tend to have a lead foot if I have the power.

·
Registered
167 Posts
And that is why people hate car dealers, or more specifically, car salesman. They just ruin the experience for what should be one of the most important purchasing decisions you ever make. Sure, there are good ones out there. But for every one good I can show you a dozen more bad ones, and that is the problem.

It is also why I predict that the Equus will be a miserable failure. If Hyundai tries to use the same dealers and methods, it's over before it ever starts. I shouldn't paint them all with such a broad brush, but the system really sucks. I had to drive almost 6 hours to get my car just to find somebody who didn't try to play these kinds of games. Anyway, good luck to you with your new car and we're glad you got a great deal even if it wasn't a Hyundai! :gitara:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Congrats on your new car. It is such a great feeling. I shopped for all those same cars you mentioned. My interest in the Fusion was the hybrid model.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 31 2010, 10:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328073
And that is why people hate car dealers, or more specifically, car salesman. They just ruin the experience for what should be one of the most important purchasing decisions you ever make. Sure, there are good ones out there. But for every one good I can show you a dozen more bad ones, and that is the problem.

It is also why I predict that the Equus will be a miserable failure. If Hyundai tries to use the same dealers and methods, it's over before it ever starts. I shouldn't paint them all with such a broad brush, but the system really sucks. I had to drive almost 6 hours to get my car just to find somebody who didn't try to play these kinds of games. Anyway, good luck to you with your new car and we're glad you got a great deal even if it wasn't a Hyundai! :gitara:

It's true, I really hate the car dealer experience, the cubicle waiting game, the bait and switch............BUT I think the uninformed consumer has to take equal share in the blame. They are the enablers. The buyer that walks into a stealership without doing any research, on a whim, to make the second largest consumer purchase in his lifetime (after a home purchase). He isn't even sure what car he really wants.
This is not aimed at OP.
What do you expect, to be treated fairly and honestly?
I did my research online for 2 months. I narrowed my car purchase options to 1 car and 1 model and 1 color. Got quotes from 7 dealerships up to 100 miles away. Called the dealership closest to me. They wouldn't match. Went to the second closest, after we agreed on an EXACT price with the sales manager. Picked out the first available sales guy, told him if he wanted a quick sale today to write up what I had agreed on, no count down timer, no speaker phone, no going to the sales manager. Then I left the dealership with a buddy that had drove me there, bought him lunch, came back and my car was ready to go. By the end of the transaction, the sale guy and I hadn't spent more than 10 minutes together.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You What ?...... Well as long as you're happy. You can always hang out here and who knows just maybe there will be a trade in your future sometime. Good Luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I test drove the top of the line fully loaded fusion and the design inside and out just didn't do it for me. There was no comparison with the sonata. There were some nice 0% financing deals and I think I would have definitely gotten a better deal with the fusion. But I think when you are spending $20k+ on a car, you have to get the car you want especially if you have to live with it a few years even if it costs a little bit more. But if you have no regrets, I'm happy for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Our local dealers are pretty much the same (We have only one dealer in town per manufacturer). They'd would say, "If you can get the car elsewhere cheaper, why are you coming to me?"

They would laugh at me, and tell me to buy it elsewhere. Most will say, we would not match the price. That is what I ended up doing, bought my car from Out of State, cheaper, of course.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the Hyundai Dealer that was horrible was Southern States Hyundai. The one I was going to buy from if I did was Lee Hyundai near Fort Bragg.

·
1,914 Posts
That appearance is really nice, especially with those wheels. We just got a sterling gray one in the other day. I forgot about Tuxedo Black, that is an amazing color! It has such depth to it plus it has the different color metallic. It looks much better than the black on the Sonata.

congrats again

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Congrats on you purchase!!! I recommend hitting up the Fusion forums as those guys have a TON of info on the model (how-tos, TSBs, etc). Ironically, I traded in my 2010 Fusion to get my 2011 Sonata so I have some experience on the subject. Sync is awesome---blows the Sonata's bluetooth out of the water. My 10 had tranny issues but it should not be a problem if you just got yours (it was a specific date range affected).

Also, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR DEALER!!! Ford dealers are notorious for denying claims and poor service.

But you made a great decision.

And if you decide to do HIDs, get ready for some serious headache on the passenger side. Its really crowded over there!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congrats on your Fusion. I looked at the list of 'usual suspects' too before I purchased my Sonata. The Fusion was my second choice, but it boiled down to interior ergonomics for me (I thought the buttons on the dash were a little too small for my liking). I know you'll enjoy it, a friend of mine bought a Fusion Hybrid about 2 weeks after I bought mine. We traded things we wished each vehicle had, but in the end it boiled down to both of us having picked a car that suited our individual tastes.

Have fun!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thats to bad that you drive a ford now. The internet has made car shopping a breeze. You can forward quotes and negotiate with more then one dealer at a time. In my case I had till the end of the year to buy my new company car. So I told them up front that if the price wasn't there I would come back later. I got the price after spending maybe 1 hour at the dealership. Once again sorry for your poor purchase and experience. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Fusion was my 2nd choice too. The key to me was a few features the Fusion didn't offer (Homelink and Push button start) that were very important to me and the extra room. At 6'2" and 285lbs, the extra space in the Sonata really appealed to me. But I'm sure I would have been OK with a Fusion if needed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I didnt have a 30 mile (both ways) commute I would have bought a Ford Fusion Sport over the Sonata. I think the Fusions are more fun to drive. The gas mileage was the deal breaker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts