Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Sorry for the novel. TLDR is that I am a young 20s clueless owner of a pre-owned Santa Fe that had its headlights and foglights modified by its original owner and I'm hoping to get a few pieces of knowledge or advice from people on here who seem to know a lot more than me!

I've read a few threads on this topic but I am really just so clueless about this. A lot of the threads seem to be people asking HOW to modify the lights, not what to do if they've already been modified by someone else.

As per the previous owner - the normal yellowy halogen headlights were replaced by one of those "HID Xenon" kits. The fog lights were replaced by an LED strip. Since buying the car, both of those headlights went out (they've since both been replaced, luckily they are cheap and I had a friend who was willing to mess with the messy tape and wire job that the original owner did.)

When looking back at a picture I took the second day I had the car, I noticed two of the little LEDs on the fog light strip were out even when I bought it (I've learned so much about due diligence from this experience!!). Since then, an entire half of one of the LED fog light strip has gone out.

I have no idea how to begin with replacing or fixing the fog light. From what I saw in other threads, people mentioned taking part of the front of the car off??

Has anyone modified their fog lights to this degree / can anyone shed some light on what I can do? Would your average auto body shop mess with something like this? I didn't see any instructions online for this (I did see you could buy the fog light with the strip on Ebay but I sure as heck don't know what to do with it once it arrived at my door.)

Should I give up and accept I have half an LED strip (That's where I'm at right now!)

Thank you in advance. Sorry for my cluelessness.

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,315 Posts
Basically, you need to replace that complete lamp unit. It's probably not that big a job for someone with a little experience of working on cars. Your local garage should be able to handle it if you don't feel upto the task yourself.

I'm sure the Hyundai manual will say you need to remove the complete front bumper to access the lamp but with experience you learn to ignore the manual and just take a look yourself. Often the job isn't anywhere near as difficult as the guys back at the factory would have you believe.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Like AUTOSPARK mentioned, you will need to remove the front bumper and replace the whole fog light with built in DRL. I’ve modded my SF XL fog light as well and did a custom wiring with relay. You could buy the new fog light assembly and just replace the unit and use the existing wiring, looking at the pics the actual LED are defected and you’re better off buying a new set. I’d go with Korean seller more so for the quality of the product and judging by your pics those could be from China and not Korea. So yes if that was me I’d replace it rather than driving it around like that. GL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Basshound

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I will add that if someone replaced the fogs with strip LED lights, they didn't do themselves or you any favors. Those are probably decorative than functional and while they may light up the road a bit they are for from being compliant as fog lights. You'll appreciate the original equipment lights once you have them.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts