Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks!

I just bought the 2013 Elantra GLS with the prefered package. I wouldn't call it an impulse buy, but I will admit I did not do nearly the homework I usually do when buying a car. I did check these forums for a few days and read as many on-line reviews as I could, so I had some education.

The only thing I insisted on from the dealer was window tint, other than that she comes as described.

I am moving from a 2012 Malibu. I've never owned a Hyundai and have to admit I am a bit worried about the build quality and the longevity. It seems like a great car and based on reviews i can only assume my worries should be tempered.

I don't take delivery until Monday, so that gives me a little time to get some much needed info about the car from the experts here.

Just a few questions to start:

1. Is there anything that I would call nuances that I need to know about the car? Little quirks or ticks that are common? Known problems or concerns?

2. Is there someplace other than the dealer to buy accessories like a cargo net, etc.?

Any general information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think the biggest quirk, if you can call it that, is the rear suspension. It is very unsettling at times over uneven road surfaces. Myself and many others have replaced the rear shocks with KYB shocks and that helps alleviate most of the problem. I believe adding a rear swaybar will help the issue even more. Other than this one issue, I have no complaints about the car and love it. I think you will enjoy the car lots :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hello folks!

I just bought the 2013 Elantra GLS with the prefered package. I wouldn't call it an impulse buy, but I will admit I did not do nearly the homework I usually do when buying a car. I did check these forums for a few days and read as many on-line reviews as I could, so I had some education.

Thanks!
If you spend a little time browsing and searching for specific topics on this forum you will answer all your questions.

Looking forward to hearing about how you like the car after driving it for a while. If you have any specific questions about anything you have experienced with your new car I am certain someone here will be able to relate. There is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience in this forum.

Photos are a must. There should be a rule, Don't ask questions until you show us what you drive.:grin:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Congrats and Welcome!

I can strongly agree with all said by 1badsr.

As for buying stuff for this car. It can easily be found all over the internet. I tend to use ebay very often in my searches.

·
22,849 Posts
^ What they said. That should keep you busy for a while, LOL. Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new ride.

·
22,849 Posts
+1 on the brakes, and as a KYB and sway bar advocate, the rear suspension must be reworked for anyone that doesn't have glass smooth roads.
If you know of such a place, I'll move there. I know it ain't up in Canada with our northern brothers and sisters. Their claim to fame is 3 yards and a pot hole!

·
22,849 Posts
My best mileage with the smoothest surface has been: my driveway. And I'm being serious! There's been better MPG, just not as smooth.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
the rear suspension must be reworked for anyone that doesn't have glass smooth roads.
If you know of such a place, I'll move there.
Hopefully, the day's of superb U.S. infra-structure(bridges, roads, communication, schools, etc) is NOT in the past. Our collapsed freeway bridge in Mt. Vernon, WA on I-5, is telling a story of decreasing affluence. Also, Americans' penchant for larger wheels & tires is NOT telling a story of recovery.

I love small cars & still have my 1988 Festiva with 12" wheels, which worked OK on American roads in the early years. Not OK, now. Early spring roads, after a bad winter, are causing Festiva to be agile so it may survive increasing numbers of potholes of increasing depths.

My Elantra with 16 inch wheels is nice to have now. Before I bought Elantra, I got a Craigslist deal on 17" wheels & tires to replace my 15" wheels & tires on my Dodge Caliber. Those 225x70x17 inchers made the Caliber ride sweet. Along with the Caliber CVT, those wheels & tires are missed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to report I jumped the gun.

This morning I was headed to the dealer to do the paperwork and take delivery of the car. On the way I decided to stop by the Chevy dealer where I have bought perhaps 8 cars in the past 10 years just check if they could do anything.

Well, when it was all said and done I drove home a 2013 Malibu for less $$ than the Elantra.

Don't know if I am happy or sad!

Thank you each for replying to this thread - I appreciate it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sorry to report I jumped the gun.

This morning I was headed to the dealer to do the paperwork and take delivery of the car. On the way I decided to stop by the Chevy dealer where I have bought perhaps 8 cars in the past 10 years just check if they could do anything.

Well, when it was all said and done I drove home a 2013 Malibu for less $$ than the Elantra.

Don't know if I am happy or sad!

Thank you each for replying to this thread - I appreciate it!
Brand new Malibu? You must of gotten one heck of a deal on that malibu to drive home spending less than on a GLS Elantra. Good luck with the new car though!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.