Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads, just thought i'd ask you knowledgeable lot a question about my brake lights, i've got a 1999 Treg 1.6 GSI Lantra saloon, and the two bottom brake lights don't work, the center one above does if you give it a bang but the bottom two just don't want to know!! i've checked the fuse and changed it just in case, i've changed the switch by the brake peddle itself, the bulbs are fine, still no joy...i'm starting to think the unthinkable that theres a problem with the wiring somewhere along the line...and that'll be a nightmare to sort because i haven't got a clue about wiring...

Just thought you chaps might have any ideas as to the problem?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one got any ideas..no??

I thought i'd just mention aswell i seem to be getting a shock of the door as i get out, think this could be anything to do with it?

I also heard once that many cars have some sort of seperate condenser switch or something situated near the rear passenger side seats that control the bottom rear stop lights...i had a look couldn't find anything, also wondering about earth connections but where would i find those?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
if the middle brake light is working then that rules out any fault with the switch,fuses or wiring through the car. have you got the right bulbs fitted? (single/double contact) if they are correct then you will need a test light or meter to check if there is power going to each of the rear lamps, using the test light or meter check for power and ground (if the tail lights are working then there is nothing wrong with the ground)
if you find there is no power supply to the brake lights you will need to trace the wiring backwards until you find the wiring fault. this may sound complicated but should not take more than fifteen mins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply montego, yeah the middle light works if its tapped, which seems to suggest there might be a loose connection there, infact thats how all three of the brake lights started faltering, they'd not work then a quick tap and they would work fine but now the bottom two refuse to go on at all (even with a nudge) but the middle one in the rear winscreen will but goes off again if i go over a bump, it's crazy and doing my head in!! the bulbs are the original ones that once upon a time were working fine, and i've tried them out in a different part of the rear light cluster (the rear lamps) and they work fine, so it cant be the bulbes themselves, the only thing i haven't checked is the earth wires, i know sometimes earth wires need to be cleaned, i'm just not certain where to look.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the scope of help we can give you on this subject is obviously restricted by the internet (in respect that we can not see your vehicle) on thing you could try is have an assistant hold the brake pedal down while you fiddle with the wiring connectors, you may find a bad connection, failing that it may be better to part with a bit of cash at your local garage if you are not sure what you are doing,hope this helps

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would still start with 3 new bulbs. Tapping them to get them to work means the filament is loose and bulbs are cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing to do with the bulbs, i've swapped them with other bulbs and still the same and likewise put the brake light bulbs in a different part of the light cluster and they work fine....i am getting a shock of the car as i get out, so i wonder if this has anything to do with the problem?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the shock you are getting is static and has nothing to do with your problem. some vehicles are prone to this also the problem is worse if you are wearing man made fibers such as nylon, sometimes you can cure this by fitting a ground strap (from most spares shops) but as l said it is un-related

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah its something that cars have apparently that controls the bottom brakes, i heard that on many Japanese cars it is situated on the drivers side near the rear seat, i know Hyundai aren't Japanese but i checked around that area and couldn't find anything, i did a bit of searching on various forums and a few have said that they had the very same problem as i have and thats what it was with theirs, i just thought you guys might know a bit more about it and where to find it, i know under neath the steering column there are quite a few square boxes that look like very large fuses, don't know if thats where i should be looking, i'd rather get to the bottom of the problem myself because i can't really afford the Garage bill for work to be done at this time, i know it would be far easier to do so though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts