Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I noticed that BOTH of my headlights went out. I'm assuming that both went out at the same time because I do a lot of night driving and I would have noticed if only one was out.

The fog lights work. The high beams work. The orange lights that go on when you only turn the headlight switch one notch work (what are those called?)

I checked all of the fuses in both fuse boxes under the hood and in the cabin. Nothing is blown.

I figured the first step would be to buy new head lights. I figured I would try buying them online because autopart stores tend to be kinda expencive. However I'm not sure what type of bulbs I need to buy.

I did some research. I tried this site: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...LRG-Results.htm
I put in that I have a 2007 Hyundia sonata and it gives me these options for "low beam headlamps"

Low beam headlamp
H7
H7SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H7ST Silverstar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
H7XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
H7CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
Where can I get these? Is there another site that can give the different light options for my car? Preferably with prices and the ability to purchase online?

·
Registered
587 Posts
H7 is the type of bulb you need for the low beams on your Sonata. It might be a bit more expensive to buy bulbs locally but it will be easier to return them if you need to. As long as you are buying a good brand you should be alright buying online. Which brand you buy is up to you and your needs/budget. If you have been satisfied with the headlights as they were then any standard H7 bulb should be fine. Check prices with your local auto parts stores or department stores such as Wal-mart. Often auto parts stores may have these types of parts on sale (in my area, anyway).

By the way, if you remove the bulbs and have a look at them you should be able to see if the filament is burned through.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'm of the mindset that if one of my headlights goes out I'll replace both...because the other is not far behind. In this case both went at the same time. Good timing, kinda.

KNOCK on wood....my 06 is still on OEM's.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (kralco626 @ Sep 8 2010, 05:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355111
I checked all of the fuses in both fuse boxes under the hood and in the cabin. Nothing is blown.
Me thinks the bulbs are open circuit at the filaments..

I figured I would try buying them online because autopart stores tend to be kinda expencive.
So, what are you going to do for the 3 days give/take that you is waiting for simple light bulbs ?? Park the car, drive at night with the high beams and hope a Police Officer not cite you for no headlights/high beam infraction ??Just go to local store and buy 2 bulbs and install them, maybe all done in an hour..

However I'm not sure what type of bulbs I need to buy.
H7

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have been using the highbeams for about a week now. Not a great idea, but my high beams arnt that bright anyways.

I wanted brighter headlights, which I figured would cost more, which is why I thought I might buy online, because I would save more money. If they are only like ten bucks in the store then I would just get them there, but I figured If I'm gunna get better lights maybe I could benifit by buying online. Or even in walmart, but I would still need to know what to buy...

If I look for H7SU would I find something? Is that like a stanard type of bulb? Or just some model number this site I was looking on made up...?

·
Registered
587 Posts
H7 is the bulb type. You can search anywhere and if it is an H7 bulb it will work. The SU is Sylvania's product info meaning SilverStar Ultra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with my Sonata GLS v6 2006. My High Beam lights work, and the parking lights work. However my low beams will not turn on during either auto or manual. I have pulled out the bulb and its not blown. I have checked to see if it was the relay (I switched the low and high relay, high still worked low did not work). I have checked the low HL fuse #23 if memory severs me correct. I am lost as to what the next steps could be. What else could I check? The only other things that have happened during this last week. We had a very rainy day but it was not dark enough for my auto lights to kick on so I turned it onto manual, I also forgot and left the lights on when I parked (auto lights make me lazy :). It was left for the day at work and when I got into the car it still started up fine but I did not check at that time to see if the headlights turned back on. If memory serves me correctly I think the headlights shut off when you turn off the key...leaving only the parking lights on. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it but that is the only thing I can thing of out of the norm I have done with my lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ken99, thanks a bunch for the response. I actually ended up figuring out what happened. So I have been reading the forums and found a lot of people saying the Sonatas have voltage issues sometimes, especially when the car is first starting up. My lights are original and are 5 years old. Normally I have my lights on auto so the car starts up (may have a voltage spike), then the light sensor picks up if the head lights need to go on and turn them on. Last week I had put my lights manually on due to rain weather and actually forgot to shut my lights off when I left the car. So when I came back and turned the car on the circuit for the head lights was on and I bet the lights got hit with a spike..i assume due to age they could not take it and blew...even though they did not show physical signs... So these voltage spikes also explain why I am blowing through tail lights (maybe one or two lights a year) because I am starting my car up with my foot on the break keeping the tail light circuit open when the car starts.

Figured I would share my findings/ assumptions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Argh!

I have the same problem. Yesterday fine, today blown. Both lo-beams. I reluctant to pull the bulbs because I doubt they both blew, being new as of about 12 months at this point.

Fogs work, hi-beams work, running lights and turn-signals work; relays are fine (switched hi-beam and lo-beam relays to see if the los would work and highs would fail; no dice, highs still work so not relays.) I checked all related fuses and no dice.

So . . . did replacing both bulbs fix your problem?

2008 Hyundai Sonata LTD Headlights

·
Registered
1 Posts
The other night I noticed that BOTH of my headlights went out. I'm assuming that both went out at the same time because I do a lot of night driving and I would have noticed if only one was out.

The fog lights work. The high beams work. The orange lights that go on when you only turn the headlight switch one notch work (what are those called?)

I figured the first step would be to buy new head lights. I figured I would try buying them online because autopart stores tend to be kinda expencive. However I'm not sure what type of bulbs I need to buy.

I did some research. I tried this site: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...LRG-Results.htm
I put in that I have a 2007 Hyundia sonata and it gives me these options for "low beam headlamps"

Where can I get these? Is there another site that can give the different light options for my car? Preferably with prices and the ability to purchase online?

Solved! - 2008 2009 2010 Hyundai Sonata Both Headlights Headlamps Low Beams Blown Out

The neighbor boy and I troubleshot this problem on his Dad's 2008 Hyundai Sonata after the car was found blowing both bulbs, low beams, several times. We found - a failed alternator!

Go have your alternator bench tested at the local auto parts store and see if you are having the same issues. Ours failed all three bench tests.

A search in YouTube for, 2008 Hyundai Sonata Alternator Removal Replace Both Headlights Blown, will reveal our amateur video with a few tips on how to pull the alternator that we could have used when tackling the job. (This is NOT spam) It's held in by two 14mm bolts. You can certainly do it yourself. It's a pain; very tight quarters. We pulled ours from the top. If you have any further questions about our experience, catch me on YouTube. (Not interested in high jacking the forum; I just don't visit this site is all. Respectfully)

Hope this helps a few of you out. I don't normally read Hyundai forums. So it's not likely I will be back... again, just trying to be kind and return the favor to help out a few of my brother shady tree mechanics.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am amazed on how confounded people become when there's an electrical problem. Doesn't anybody use a simple voltmeter anymore? Nothing ever gets replaced until the part is proven defective. Then track down the cause working backwards from the failure point. A blown bulb can be just that but over-voltage will do it too. A voltmeter would reveal that right away. No guessing. A wiring diagram would, however, be essential in electrical trouble shooting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just had one of my lo beams die on my '07 GLS. I originally replaced both lamps w/ the SilverStars (H7ST). These aren't as bright as the OEM bulbs (Philips Long Life). So I just bought 2 new Sylvania economy H7s. These work MUCH better at 1/3 the price. I bought them all at WalMart.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do not know what happened ... NO low beams on either headlight worked. After changing fuses on the inside panel, they still would not work. Assistance from a very nice associate named Kyle at the local Lowe's store got me out of the parking lot, and I did drive home on high beam (other motorists probably were not happy ...So sorry, but it was a short trip at least). During the day, at Auto Zone, the female associate suggested switching the two relays under the hood (still unsure the reason there are two side by side). Don't know still, but I have low beams now and I will replace the relays ASAP ... just to be on the safe side!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts